-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron... flames from your first post on this thread. Why am I not surprised? Flames are hardly an intelligent exchange of ideas. Damn, grow up, show some maturity. Don't confuse a debate with fighting/arguing. If you can't handle a good debate, then by all means excersize your grand parent's right to skip out on it.
<br>We have more mountains then most States, if not all. Caribou don't just wander the tundra, I seen them in mountainous areas, as well.
<br>As to harvesting caribou? Its in the reg books, for those that have a need to fill up on meat. They are allowed five caribou per day to stock up. Don't confuse this with hunting. Harvesting for meat is a diferent thing. There is no closed season for bulls with harvesting for residents. Hunting has a different set of regs. There you just learned something intelligent from a closed minded person.
<br>BTW lichen grow only inches on the tundra, and offer nary a spot to hide behind.
<br>~~~Suluuq

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ho Hum, same ole, same ole, from certain members of the LRS crowd.....................

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
( now remember this is Wyo and Colo., poking fun at each other...) we are good at that...!!!
<br>
<br>Hey saddle sore where do Colo. res. got to vacation/hunt/fish...
<br>
<br>Wyoming....
<br>
<br>Why is that.. cause they don't even like the people in Colo...... ;-)

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
WW, You got it right, the Texans and Californians think it's thier state park anymore. Everyone moving here wants everyone else to live like they do. I married a native and every once in awhile I don't think she even likes me.
<br>
<br>I'm planning moving north, either Montana or Wyoming in a year and a half when I retire.
<br>
<br>We were looking around Cody, but they are too proud of thier real estate there. I have a close friend there who has guided and cowboyed for about 25 yearsand it would be a nice palce to go but I can't replace what I got here for the same money . Looking west of Billlings in the Laurel/Columbus area, but the 2-11% income tax in Montana is kinda worrisome.
<br>
<br>Sure don't want to stay here. Colo. Springs has grown from 50K to 500K population and it's too much for me. All the nice out of the way places like Gunnison etc are being bought up by developers and they are putting trophy homes in. About like Jackson Hole, Kalispel and such.They all want to bring the city to the country.
<br>
<br>Can't go into a wilderness area without stumbling over people and if you go 15 miles, you come out the other side. Yet if you go someplace else, you are run over by mountain bikers and ATV'ers. i
<br>
<br>They are even trying to ban horses in a lot of areas and make it walk or cycle only. They don't like the road apples.
<br>
<br>I still have some honey holes for elk, but I'm going to have to start hunting between houses if it gets much worse.
<br>
<br>You want to trade, I'll throw in all the new neighbors???
<br>
<br>To top it off, we have a forest fire raging about 2 miles away that just jumped the fire line, Some idiot that just moved in started it when cuttting high grass with a lawn mower. 2nd thought, I might not have a house to trade in a day or two.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SS,
<br>
<br>Everytime my wife and I go to Colo. we are dissapointed.. you can actually see smog in some areas... It truly is a shame what the "city folk" are doing to that state.. to much money hungry, greedy people...Like Jackson Wyo.. what the rich Cali's did to that place is disgusting.. the average home in Jackson is over 1M ... just the average.... thats pathetic... The millionairs are being pushed out of Jackson by the Billionairs.. then they are coming this way but most of the people in Cody won't stand for it....
<br>
<br>There are some nice places outside of Cody .. but it depends if you want mountains in your backyard or open rolling hills...
<br>
<br>I wouldn't mind having another long range enthusiest here.. there arn't many around this area....
<br>
<br>

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We were looking along the South Fork and between Cody and Powell. Didn't like the Greybull area much. Might have to rethink the South Fork, I guess they have had a lot of dust problems this year due to the drought and wind blowing off the reservoir. All last year there was a grizzly and two cubs grazing along the upper reaches of the canyon. That would be neat to have. Better than neighbors dogs running lose all the time.
<br>
<br>Also there is a real good shooting complex just outside Cody.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SS,
<br>
<br>Southfork above the reservior is very nice. DO NOT buy along side or below it !!!
<br>
<br>Powell is a nice town kinda flat out that way...
<br>
<br>If ya want let me know what your interested in and I can try to get the inside scoop for ya...
<br>
<br>The Cody Shooting complex is AWESOME , needless to say I am a member.. concrete benches to shoot from and everything

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
WW. Thanks for the offer. We are going to take another swing up though Montana and then down to Cody sometime this summer when me and the wifes schedule permits.She telecommutes from home and works for Compaq, now HP I guess.
<br>
<br>I'm waiting for a contract to start, so now would be a good time . However it hasn't greened up here yet and I don't have any pasture to put the stock out on yet. Too hard to get someone to take care of them right.
<br>
<br>What are the best areas to get out of the wind, if that is possible?
<br>We looked at a few places that had developed springs instead of wells. Is that common around that area?
<br>
<br>What is that Diamond basin area like off of South fork road?
<br>
<br>Since there is that NW water supply deal, are most of the wells such that drinking water is not very good because of minerals?
<br>
<br>What we are looking for is about 20 acres, at least 10, with at 2500 +sq ft house, 2 baths. Barn, fenced.
<br>I don't want to build.
<br>I'm getting too old and I don't want to spend all my retirement time building and fenceing. It took me 25 yeaes to do it the first time.
<br>
<br>The wife wants a log home, with loft, but I doubt if we can afford that.She at least wants wood siding. We are not much into California stucko.
<br>I would like to find someplace that I can get on and ride without worrying about traffic and hitch up and drive my wagons etc also. I guess if there is water running through the property, the price doubles.
<br>
<br>So a little out of the way place on a gravel road would work fine.We don't need fancy. Definitely can't afford anything along the North Fork.
<br>
<br>If anybody is wondering what this has to do with long range shooting, well it does. I'm looking to shoot from Colorado to Wyoming or Montana.
<br>

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SS,
<br>
<br>Bad news is .. ya just have to deal with the wind....
<br>
<br>Diamond Basin is nice kinda flat.... Mountains in your back yard....
<br>There is also nice homes and stuff towards Powell, Ralston. If you drive Due east outta Cody on the road to Greybull there are some really neat places about 5-10 miles outside of town. Also due north of Cody up towards Clark ( 20 miles or less ) there are some nice places..
<br>
<br>NO MATTER WHAY MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WATER RIGHTS!!!!
<br>
<br>let me know if ya want me to check anything out....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Guys you got me all wrong. I'm a PA country boy stuck in a big city in Kaliforniastan! I live in the Sf Bay Area and I hate it with a passion!!! I have obligations to meet before I can get out of here. I'll never afford a house in this area and would be good country neighbor to have. I'm not a long range shooter, the only ranges (what few they have) are 100yrds max. I just don't believe folks who don't understand a sport should knock it. I decided to chime in cuase whisper said it was getting slow and I was thinking of folks who harvest their game and consider it hunting. I've often teased my brother in Pa, he hunts with a bow and harvests (LR) with his rifle. I was thinking some short range shooter are nothing more than harvesters also! What do you think, go out sit down see an animal pull the trigger. Different strokes.
<br> Is there some way of doing a general reply on this site? I hate having to tape on someones name to post!
<br> Can't blame ya for being bent with the rich $%^&ks they seem to spoil everything they put their money into.

Respect can not be given, It must be earned.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To whom it may concern (how's that for not point to any individual?)...
<br>
<br>I understand a lot of things about LRS, thats why I don't supposrt it.
<br>Why do some think if another has as opposing view, they don't understand it? To have such a view one must know a little about what they oppose, right? I don't know the least bit about programing computers, so there for, should I oppose MicroSoft?
<br>
<br>I imagine some might consider hunting as merely harvesting, but in Alaska, they are two different things, with two sets of regs. I choose to hunt for what I decide to take. Can't say about PA, therefore won't comment on it. ~~~Suluuq
<br>
<br>

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Anybody that lives in the bay area, gotta have a lot of guts if they are not from there. Peobably even the natives.
<br>
<br>I don't support LRH, but I don't hate the people who do it or think they are my ememies. Folks are folks, & diferent strokes as they say.
<br>
<br>You got an opinion, spit it out, but it makes no sense to attack someone personally

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Ron,
<br>
<br>I know there is a 200 yard range at the Chabot Gun Club. There is also a 200 yard range down at the Santa Clara shooting facility. I used to shoot there on the first and third Saturdays with the San Jose Zouaves.
<br>
<br>I think there are 200 yard ranges at both Richmond and Livermore.
<br>
<br>Here's a pretty good link:
<br>
<br>http://www.california.com/~jtchew/BAranges.html
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Scott
<br>
<br>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wyo,
<br>
<br>Do you live near South Fork?
<br>
<br>I read through some of the above posts and,,,,,,,well, I ain't as young as I used to be, maybe I am confused.
<br>
<br>I will be elk hunting this fall near South Fork and I figured if you where nearby I could at the very least buy ya a cup of coffee.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
DK,
<br>
<br>Ok Once you go west out of Cody you either go left onto the "Southfork" hwy or straightthe "Northfork" hwy. I am on the Northfork. Where or who are you hunting with and when??... I'd be glad to meet ya and let me buy the coffe.. you spent enough money coming to our piece of paradise !!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wyo,
<br>
<br>I am hunting with a buddy from OKLA and a local. They invited me, I accepted their kind offer. All I know is we are staying in South Fork. Having never been there before I don't know the area or the roads. We are staying at a cabin.
<br>
<br>If you want, Private Message me and we can hook up. I would enjoy meeting with you and shooting the bull.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
DK ...
<br>
<br>Sometimes I gotta laugh the way people talk about places out here.. No offense I guess after you've been here a while you get used to the way people talk around here and then to hear someone else say it, it sounds funny..
<br>
<br>OK I'll explain what I mean. You said your staying "in" Southfork... There is no town "southfork" It is all basically Cody.. then there is the "northfork" and the "southfork" named because fo the way the Shoshone river runs.. One fork is in the north and one in the south....
<br>
<br>So you are actually staying out "on" the southfork area of the Shoshone river. which is basically a a big valley between the mountains. I live on the Northfork valley on the road to Yellowstone.
<br>
<br>Either way if you get a tag for that area you will have good hunting.. hmmm never asked what you are hunting....???
<br>What is the locals name maybe I know him? What time of the year are ya coming.. I'll make sure to leave and open day or so to visit with ya. I will be guiding so give me some prior notice... If you've never been here you gonna fall in love.......

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Are you in that log place on the right that they wanted $5.2 mil for. or further up towards Wapiti?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
no no no.. not that place way to extravagant.. You actually go through Wapiti and we are about 1/2 mile in the left in fron of Table Mtn. DNR Ranch at Rand Creek is the name... If ya get this way we are the ones with the new guest cabin ( green roofs ) being built .. can't miss it...
<br>
<br>btw: it ain't worth the 5.2 either.. some people are just weird.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wyo,
<br>
<br>I am talking Colorado here, not Wyoming. Sorry for the mixup.
<br>
<br>There IS a South Fork (town) in Colorado.
<br>From Denver Take I-25 South
<br>About 40 or so miles south of Pueblo is Walsenberg
<br>At Walsenberg go west on Rte 160 to Alamosa
<br>South Fork is west of Alamosa on Rte 160
<br>
<br>I am going in Oct for elk (rifle season)
<br>
<br>I will be using my 7mm mag and 120gr GS Custom HV bullets
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.