Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
For those who have had both, which do you prefer and why? Planning a med to long range tactical style rifle, and can't seem to decide. My smith has never worked with a surgeon, but had a defiance on the shelf I was able to handle. I liked the feel of it, but was wondering if the surgeon was better. Open to any other suggestions in that class of action as well. Thanks!

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Both are very good actions. I would lean towards a Surgeon for your intended use.

Last edited by JBO69; 03/04/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both & I favor the Surgeon. Its built like a tank, has integral recoil lug & picatinney rail, and the bolt runs very smoothly.

They are both great actions but if want something that is bomb-proof, I'd go with the Surgeon!!

If you want what some consider THE BEST action out there, check out BAT actions, especially the VRPIC and the HRPIC - these both have an integral recoil lug and picatinney rail. The VRPIC is a short action while the HRPIC is a long action. I have a HRPIC on order for my next build.

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/04/12.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
What cartridge?

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
have had both like surgeon better....

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
6mm Crusader is going to be the cartridge, and I intend to have the action cerakoated, so wasn't sure the BAT was the right choice. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you are building a crusader you might want to think about a long action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBurroughs
6mm Crusader is going to be the cartridge, and I intend to have the action cerakoated, so wasn't sure the BAT was the right choice. Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

If you use the BAT, leave the bolt polished stainless or have it nitrided = no problems!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Couple things to consider, the surgeon will use a Rem 700 extractor on their .478 bolt face, the Defiance rebel will use a mini M16 pinned extractor, I have a buddy that has a Surgeon and I have a Defiance and to me the bolt runs quite a bit smoother than a Surgeon, after a while the Surgeon will likely smooth out from working the bolt, their both great platforms for building a tactical rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The M16 pinned extractor grows on you like the one piece bolt handle.
Does the surgeon 591 have a one piece bolt?
I cant comment on the Surgeon as i've never seen one.But its hard to imagine a smoother action than a defiance.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Surgeon handle is one piece..

I've got several rifles built on both actions and like them both.

You won't make a bad decision either way. As far as smoothness goes, with use, they both get really nice.

I can post a few pics of both actions if you want to compare them head to head....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
One thing that is nice with the Surgeon that they just started doing is the bolt to raceway clearances tighten up as the bolt is put into battery, basically accomplishing what the "Borden Bumps" do!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
The Surgeon handle is one piece..

I've got several rifles built on both actions and like them both.

You won't make a bad decision either way. As far as smoothness goes, with use, they both get really nice.

I can post a few pics of both actions if you want to compare them head to head....

Scenarshooter,

I have been trying to decide between these two as well. I think the pics would help.

Thanks!!!

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Yes, please on the pics. I have drooled over enough pictures of your guns before, why stop now!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300MAG

If you use the BAT, leave the bolt polished stainless or have it nitrided = no problems!!

On the Defiance, can you have the bolt nitrided? I am leaning toward getting a Defiance, and would like to cerakote the body, just wondered what to do with the bolt.

If we lose freedom here there is nowhere to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by Steelhead

who gives a [bleep] about the stuff that goes wrong

Tough to be pissed when God gives you dogs

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Call GAP and see what their using to coat their bolts, or just have Melonited!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Melonite. Black and slick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 308scout
Originally Posted by 300MAG

On the Defiance, can you have the bolt nitrided? I am leaning toward getting a Defiance, and would like to cerakote the body, just wondered what to do with the bolt.

Yes you can get the bolt melonited (nitrided)..........Black Ops Rifles (formerly Underground Skunkworks) is doing it to his bolts = His actions are made by Defiance Machine.

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/05/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I ordered my BAT action, they actually suggested that I have the action & bolt nitrided since it's going to be used on a hunting rifle. Who was I to argue.....it's getting done!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are both Defiance actions built in .260.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.