Print Thread
Hop To
P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P

The video below was taken by a professional chef/ restaurant owner of a knife I sent him for review. He sharpened it to his standards before making the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbyq-MKghQ8

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pike3e

The video below was taken by a professional chef/ restaurant owner of a knife I sent him for review. He sharpened it to his standards before making the video.

I get mine pretty close to that, if not quite there. My last step, after course, then medium, stones is to switch to course then medium compound on a leather strop. After that, it's hair popping sharp.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay, I tried the whole tomato whacking thing last night and it did not work out so well. AND I have some high quality top shelf sharp knives.

All that happened for me was tomato goooo all over the walls. UGH!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salty has some exceptional knives. Most out of the box J-knives knives with proper sharpening will perform equally as well. Edge retention looks like it may be an issue on this one. Watch him slice the potato, about half way through the knife starts to steer noticeably. He nearly stops cutting at that point and consistency is lost. Some trouble getting through the edge of the rib eye as well.
If you want to see one of Salty Dogs Videos that will make your inner knife geek drool look for the one with his Masamoto Honyaki Gyuto in White steel. The Hamon line on that and the patina is beyond sweet.
The handle on the knife is this video is very nice. What type of steel?

Here's one of Salty's Masamoto Honkaki Sujihiki doin the mater test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoQ...jPrF6VTzOA&index=53&feature=plcp

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i sharpen 34 knifes to 20 degs, during last sundays nascar race. while drinking beer the whole time crazy.....all are SHARP and i have no cuts to show for it either... on my warthog... grin

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I get mine pretty close to that, if not quite there. My last step, after course, then medium, stones is to switch to course then medium compound on a leather strop. After that, it's hair popping sharp.

well of course you do............

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Stetson
Salty has some exceptional knives. Most out of the box J-knives knives with proper sharpening will perform equally as well. Edge retention looks like it may be an issue on this one. Watch him slice the potato, about half way through the knife starts to steer noticeably. He nearly stops cutting at that point and consistency is lost. Some trouble getting through the edge of the rib eye as well.
If you want to see one of Salty Dogs Videos that will make your inner knife geek drool look for the one with his Masamoto Honyaki Gyuto in White steel. The Hamon line on that and the patina is beyond sweet.
The handle on the knife is this video is very nice. What type of steel?

Here's one of Salty's Masamoto Honkaki Sujihiki doin the mater test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoQ...jPrF6VTzOA&index=53&feature=plcp

Steel is 1095. The handle is stabilized maple burl and African blackwood.

He used the knife both on the line and for prep over the course of a week or so and reported that the edge retention was very good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He used the knife both on the line and for prep over the course of a week or so and reported that the edge retention was very good.

Did he post a review for your knife on any of the knife forums? I'm not sure I ever saw him mention it before. Kinda fell short on the mater test with the half slices and cupping. Here's another knife vid he did in a very similar test but no half slices or sliding tomato. His comment at the end as well as the sub title under the video pretty much sums up his view of this one. grin
What we don't see in the video is the time Salty spent prepping the blade or if your test was done just as he received it. Could be a world of difference there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kVs...8jPrF6VTzOA&index=2&feature=plcp

What sharp really looks like;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWMh...jPrF6VTzOA&index=11&feature=plcp

P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I asked Salty to do a personal critique/ review of one of my knives because he owns an earlier version and I wanted his insight on the changes I made. Mario, the maker of the knife you linked to, is supposed to be looking at it next time he is at Salty's place. The video was just a bonus.

I posted it as visual example of the level of performance some can get from their knives, not as a claim that it is the sharpest knife ever or some standard of sharpness.

If you do not think that the knife is sharp, thats fine, but I think you would be in a small minority.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salty's review would be just be more useful than the video in this case and Salty usually posts a review in one of the other knife forums which is why I asked for a link. There is often more to a knife than just the edge. In either event your warranty should cover any buyers concerns.
The handle looks fantastic. Do you do re-handles on the WA knives?

IC B3

P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
The handle making is my least favorite part of the process, so I dont take orders for handles only. I would actually like to find someone to make the handles for me so I could just focus on the steel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.