Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, in for my evening constitutional. I'll give ya. ring in the am

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interestingly enough, the "kill" program did not work completely and there are still some bright colored koi in the lake even with all the hungry introduced Tiger Muskies. Those are a hybrid, and the idea seemed to be that they would eat all of the koi and eventually would die off and leave the lake for the trout that always have been there.

Right now, the rainbows are hungry and some big ones have been brought in while fishing from shore - the other day a big female just kept spilling eggs all the way up the bank. If memory is correct, this lake does not very well support birth and growth of the rainbows - I think a lack of gravel on the bottom is the issue. So, we have considerable stocking. I think the Muskies have to be 40" to be kept - one each day, maybe.

I surely hope the fishing is good here for you guys in July.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, so what are the methods employed when trying to catch one of these Tiger Muskies? What kind of bait/lures?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trout on a good sized hook!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like fun to me!

Maybe troll some big plugs or spoons in the meaantime?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Red Devils work very well for Muskie

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
last yr guys were catchin 24 inches on a orange/yellow spinner baits tossed from shore. bring waders as the n/e end of lake was shallow enough to wade - i was out up past my knees wearing shorts wading in my socks in the mud bottom.

bring a heavy enough rod/real to make long casts -

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm thinkin' fly rod w/ streamers and mouse imitations...

I still have some left over from my AK Pike fishing days. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are up here in N Idaho visiting relatives, and my step dad gave me two heavy trolling poles and one trolling level wind reel. Just need another levelwind trolling reel and some heavy line, lures, leaders etc and I will be set for some trolling as well as casting.

Thanks for the intel so far, keep it coming as I have never even SEEN a pike, muskie, tiger muskie etc and will be a babe in the woods so to speak.

Been feelin pretty rough this last 1-2 weeks with high pain and lots of nausea, plus exhaustion. I sure hope I am up to the trip by then.

MARK

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by safariman
Been feelin pretty rough this last 1-2 weeks with high pain and lots of nausea, plus exhaustion. I sure hope I am up to the trip by then.

MARK

Where there is a will there is a way, my way is prayer, and I am going to start right now.

Most loving God, bring Mark health in body and spirit that he may serve You with all his strength. Touch gently his life which you have created, now and forever.

Amen.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nicely said and I agree with the sentiment. Hope you feel better.

Be safe and try to enjoy the day.
Patty

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Safariman-
I dont want to sound like the debbie downer of the group here, but don't over-outfit yourself for fishing on this trip. Quemado lake is not very big. You could probably troll the entire rim of the lake in 20 minutes.

Sorry, i usually hate cynics.
Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is good to know, I just fon't have a clue as to how one goes about fishing for muskies, tiger or otherwise. If you or anyone else has more intel I would love to recieve such. So far all I have heard is that Daredevil spoons work, which I figured, but there ought to be more lures than that and more to the game than that.

Appreciate the heads up. Hoping and planning gives me extra motivation to work on my health to whatever extent my efforts have impact on the matter.

MARK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark - the only three Muskies I ever caught were in Canada when I was fishing for Northern Pike and Walleye - supposedly there were no Muskies in that lake. But, two of those hit readily and hard on flashing and colored spoons/spinners I was tossing from the boat toward some weedy areas nearer the shore looking for Pike. The third one came in hooked with another fish - Muskie grabbed a smaller Walleye as I was hauling it in and gave me a heckuva surprise.

I have never tried these Tiger Muskies here - hope to do so in late April. I think that Kamerad Les had a few lure suggestions earlier on this thred.

BTW, I am not sure you could troll around the shoreline of Q lake in 20 minutes as per Jon. but he is correct, it is not a big lake. I am not good at such estimates, but I would guess maybe 300 acres or so. Maybe more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THANK YOU for those websites! Exciting stuff.

Man, I REALLY hope I cam make this trip happen, for several reasons now. HEalth and finances allowing, see you all in July.

MARK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure hope so too Mark!
Praying for your increasing health here for sure buddy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Mark - am wishing you all the best, too. We do hope you get feeling a lot better and can join us.

Looks like I missed fairly bad on my guess about the size of Q Lake, but I honestly do think it looks bigger than the 110 acres they state in that blurb.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree. I would have put my money on 200 acres.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it's grown visibly since the gummit surveyed it. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.