Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
As a theologIAN trained in biology, I know that science and creation don't demand a digital either-or choice.

Evolution as change with the passage of time and generations is undeniable. Back-tracking it to attribute origination to it is illogical.

My family "tree" is not a tree family.

Those searching for truth will eventually find Truth, the Truth. That is, if they don't have a God scotoma or blind spot, emotionally excluding any truth pointing toward God.

One example is the statement of Dr. Francis Crick, who along with partner, Dr. James D. Watson, were the first to describe the DNA double helix molecule in 1953. Crick, as an old man, came to the conclusion that there had to have been "original information". He postulated some scenario about a space ship landing with an information capsule. Now, to me, it takes a lot more "faith" to believe such rubbish than to believe the Scripture when it declares, "In the beginning was the Word". That sounds like "original information" to me...

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Not supposed to make assumptions.

Originally Posted by Ringman
The former is assumption the latter is science. I glad I could clear that up.

To me this sounds like an assumption.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
... "In the beginning was the Word". That sounds like "original information" to me...

DF

Last edited by Crockettnj; 03/06/12. Reason: add quote

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Hmmm ...

"I would rather be descended from apes than fail to use my God-given gift of reason ..."

And I probably am, unless Zecheria Sitchin and Lloyd Pye are right about aliens messin' with our genes.

smile smile smile

Ya'll are trying to force answers on each other nobody is willing to accept. Why? Do you think, after accepting Jesus as savior, your salvation relies on whether the world is 6,000 years old or 4.5 billion years old? If so, you're not a Christian after all, you're still worrying about works and law, and your contributions to *division* are doing the devil's work.

Try humility. Try awe in God's works. Don't try to rewrite God into whatever image fits your personal politics.

I'm disappointed in ya'll.

Good post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you believe the earth is young, as in only thousands of years old, there isnt a single science that works other then chemistry and some of physics.....with out the earth being billions of year old almost all sciences, including modern medicine fall flat on their face....if the earth isnt billions of years old you cant believe any science on about anything....

This very day I read something Carl Sagan said. He had complete faith in the Big Bang but realized it could not happen unless the Laws of Nature were already present. And yet he had no explanation for them. This is excersizing blind faith!

Only the God of the Bible explains the Laws of Nature. According to Him He created them along with time, matter and space. Also according to his hand written statement in stone in the Ten Commandment he created everything in heaven and on earth and in the oceans in six days and demanded we rest on the seventh day because He rested on the seventh day.

When we look at the geneologies in God's Word we have no problem coming up with about 6,000 year for the age of the earth; with the sun, moon and stars being four days younger.

Prove from science where God made a mistake when He wrote this in stone.

Prove there is/was God... and, no...don't quote scripture. That isn't proof, just belief.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crockettnj,

It was sharp of you to pick up on that. I didn't think I needed to elaborate but will.

The former are used to date things in the billions of years and leave billions of years of wiggle room. For example I have read of one stone being broken into four samples and getting billions of years differnt dates.

The latter used an Electron Mass Spectrometer and is consistant when dating the same sample. Always. The dates don't vary.

The former is assumption the latter is science. I glad I could clear that up.

That is an outright falsehood, and you have no basis but your dogma to state that. Many stones have particles within them from vastly different periods.

Your VooDoo science is all dogma and no real science at all.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The importance, to humans, of whether or not God exists is not that He did or did not make us, but in that by Him we can have everlasting life. He tells us that to unbelievers there is no God to save them but if you believe, then there is Him to save you. Those who believe there is no Heaven are correct, for themselves. If you believe, there is a Heaven for you. Both views are correct, for them.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/06/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyeball...

A well measured response, for sure. wink

My big question is Save me from what, and save me for what?

I don't feel like money or a non-perishable food. grin

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't know, it was His story.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Interesting post Brian. But what is your point? Is to show that there are Christians who believe in macro-evolution? If so, for one thing, he can hardly be viewed as an orthodox Christian as he doesn't believe (as I read it) "In the beginning God created (" bara", Greek, for out of nothing) heavens and the earth. Upon this tenet other fundamental Christian tenets rest. So, while only God can judge hearts, man can judge deeds and words as to there adherence to Truth. And on this basis he has rejected the beginning of Geneis. This is not surprising in this day of apostasy.
There are two modes of creation discussed in genesis. As you say, the "from nothing" creation (which theologians call ex nihilo) of the universe, all matter, the physical laws, etc., and then the creation of life forms, which Genesis clearly states is ex materia, i.e., from something already at that time in existence. All life, including man, was created from preexisting matter, and it was accomplished by the waters, under God's direction. "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life..." Unless you're suggesting that Adam wasn't a moving thing, or didn't have life, that includes him. As to specifics, Genesis later describes what Adam was made from as either muck or dust (depending on the translation), referring to matter already in existence. Eve was made from Adam's genetic code as found in cells in one of his ribs, i.e., she was his female identical twin.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
.... i.e., she was his female identical twin.

I can see how you deduced that Adam and Eve are identical twins from the putative original cloning from Adam's rib material.

Technically, not really identical because at least one sex chromosome was changed.

Your point, however flawed, raises some interesting molecular genetics issues with the Biblical account of the creation of Eve.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
if you believe the earth is young, as in only thousands of years old, there isnt a single science that works other then chemistry and some of physics.....with out the earth being billions of year old almost all sciences, including modern medicine fall flat on their face....if the earth isnt billions of years old you cant believe any science on about anything....

This very day I read something Carl Sagan said. He had complete faith in the Big Bang but realized it could not happen unless the Laws of Nature were already present. And yet he had no explanation for them. This is excersizing blind faith!

Only the God of the Bible explains the Laws of Nature. According to Him He created them along with time, matter and space. Also according to his hand written statement in stone in the Ten Commandment he created everything in heaven and on earth and in the oceans in six days and demanded we rest on the seventh day because He rested on the seventh day.

When we look at the geneologies in God's Word we have no problem coming up with about 6,000 year for the age of the earth; with the sun, moon and stars being four days younger.

Prove from science where God made a mistake when He wrote this in stone.

Prove there is/was God... and, no...don't quote scripture. That isn't proof, just belief.

No one can prove or disprove God. Either one accepts the scripture or doesn't accept the scripture. Even the Devils believe and they shudder. (Reading the scripture, again). But, they do NOT accept the scripture and they don't act on what it says.

It's a form of arrogance to believe the world revolves around us and unless we understand something, it can't be.

We can't see the wind, but we can sure see what it's doing and where it's been.

DF

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
What is a theologist??

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by efw
What is a theologist??

Evidently, an unconventional theologian... smile

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
an undisclosed amount of time passed between Genesis 1:1 and 1:3. Many, many billions of years

How did anything live in absolute darkness on an earth without form?

Exactly...
And how many billions passed before it came to that state of destruction?
How old was the universe before Lucifer rebelled?
How long does it take a star to give birth to elements?
How long did it take the earth to cool?
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center?
The world may never know...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Save me from what

Yourself...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1 Why can all the fossils and oils be carbon dated when they are suposed to be millions of years old?

2 Why can diamonds be carbpm dated when they are suposed to be millions of years old?

3 Why is it the largest desert in the world can be dated to be about 4,000 years old?

4 Why are the oldest living trees about 4,000 years old?

5 Why is the population at about six billion if man has been here 1/2 million years?

#'s 1 and 2 are because of poor lab practices....carbon 14 is always being produced if you touch a diamond and dont properly sterilize the surface carbon 14 from your hands shows up in the test....how do you explain the fact that other radiometric dating techniques using isotopes of calcium and such with half lives in the millions of years work out?

largest des4ert(im guessing your saying the Sahara) is only bout 4,000 years old because before the last ice age it wasnt a desert, it was grasslands....change in climate meant the grasslands changed to desert.....oldest desert is dated atleast 55 million years ago....

#4 oldest living organisms are much older than your 4,000 years.....there is a creosote bush in Texas an estimated 12,000 years old....a colony of poplars in California is estimated at 80,000 years old.....

dont understand your last question? modern humans have only been around about 35,000 years and they encountered some sort of bottle neck bout 20,000 years ago that damn near wiped them off the earth.....hominids have been around alot longer but most of these were not human, lot of them were closer to ape than human.....

course none of this says there is no God.....seems only some hard core christians equate an old earth with no god, hell of alot of others have no problem with it.....a second or a million years, its all the same to God, no reason the earth cant be several billion years old and there still be a god....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
.... i.e., she was his female identical twin.

I can see how you deduced that Adam and Eve are identical twins from the putative original cloning from Adam's rib material.

Technically, not really identical because at least one sex chromosome was changed.

Your point, however flawed, raises some interesting molecular genetics issues with the Biblical account of the creation of Eve.

He said He put certain truths in the Bible to act as stumbling blocks for the unbelievers, the self-ascribed intellectuals, that they would fall into their own devices, and He did.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You'll never have scientific answers to theological questions. No matter how much you find out, there will always be an ultimate WHY.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
luv2safari,

That is an outright falsehood, and you have no basis but your dogma to state that. Many stones have particles within them from vastly different periods.

Your VooDoo science is all dogma and no real science at all.

We have a few things going on here.

First you say it is a falsehood and then you try to explain it away. You want us who give it some thought to beleive a fifteen pound rock can be broken into four pieces and the four parts of the whole are deposited billions of years apart. And you wnt us to believe this is more scientific than beleiving the one rock was not dated accuratley in the first place.

What's more interesting is no one mentioned the Electron Mass Spectrometer is wrong. I should have noted the rock was dated with theoretical billions of years dating while the maximum dating with carbon 14 dating is thousands of years. All samples of coal, oil and fossils date about the same age; a few thousand years old. Based on the billions of years old theory none of the samples should have any carbon 14 left in them.

This takes us back to the idea of world view. If one starts with the idea that man has most or all the answers he will reject God's Word in whole or in part. If one starts with the idea that the God of the Bible is Inifinate then he has no problem acepting God is able to have His writers write what He wants clearly.

Remember both camps use the same info, that is unless a human artifact or fossil is found in the wrong strata. Then the Evolutionist throws it out while the Creationists displays it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by eyeball
He said He put certain truths in the Bible to act as stumbling blocks for the unbelievers, the self-ascribed intellectuals, that they would fall into their own devices, and He did.

Intentional obfuscation interjected into the written word of God by God himself to trip up the unbelievers?

Isn't the point of God's infinite love to convert unbelievers into believers so that they can be saved?

Seems counter-productive.

Puzzling.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 31 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,080
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.