Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Utah thread and subsequent responses made me wonder how many here (presumably almost all outdoorsmen) if they had the single power, would eliminate the National Park Service? http://www.nps.gov/index.htm
Do you feel any differently about the U.S. Forest Service? http://www.fs.fed.us/
If you have an opinion on the above it would also be curious to know if you know where the nearest NPS or USFS lands are to you and exactly what activities are permitted there.
If you would NOT eliminate the departments what if any changes would you make?

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both agencies seem to have assumed the attitude that the lands they administer belong to them. I don't believe I would eliminate the agencies, but I would eliminate the executives and install a culture where the services would help the public utilize the land to it's maximum potential.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a fan of throwing the baby out with the bathwater..

But I would switch the USFS to Dept. of the Interior, and out of the USDA, in a New York minute.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also interesting posting this question on the Campfire Forum, where few venture out far from their computers in the suburbs.

Try posting this in the General Hunting forum for some probable differing responses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, the wilderness areas should all go to either the Park Service or a separate US Wilderness Service. The USFS should be eliminated and the lands sold to the respective states with bonding support from Uncle.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where are the states going to get money to buy them?

Not from recreational funds.

They'll sell and lease the best acres to the highest bidders, and then mismanage the leftovers.

A crappy solution to a crappy problem, IMO..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TEXAS here we come!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would get rid of both. But you certainly could combine them into one.

The state criticism is not necessarily true. Louisiana has a good system of public hunting lands and is always acquiring more. Some other states have even better programs.

I recently heard that the federal governments owns approximately 30% of all the land in the U.S. That just ain't right.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Actually, the wilderness areas should all go to either the Park Service or a separate US Wilderness Service. The USFS should be eliminated and the lands sold to the respective states with bonding support from Uncle.
It literally takes an act of congress to force the Park Svc to allow hunting on any land they control. I don't want them to have anything to do with our wildernesses or it'll be the same thing there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wish. Texas has been owned by individuals for almost 200 years. Government land will go to the entitled.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not necessarily false either.

Special interest money will be doled out very efficiently on the state political level, as opposed to the federal level..

I'm sure lots of politicians in western states would love this to happen.

Couple of old saying come to mind.. The devil you know, and watch out what you wish for..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you start following the Constitution then there isn't any Federal Land and the problem of these agencies is self solving.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
self solving.. yeah, just snap your fingers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Special interest money will be doled out very efficiently on the state political level, as opposed to the federal level..

I hope that you are being sarcastic--otherwise I say "bullsh*t!

Look at hunting access to state trust lands in the west. It is quite restricted and frequently nonexistent depending how the leases are written. In New Mexico, lessees regard state trust land as being exclusively for their use and, despite an agreement between the State Land Office and Department of Game and Fish for hunter access during open seasons, most of the best habitat remains locked up by one means or another. Lots that is "open" requires hunters to access it by one unlocked gate that always happens to be as far away from game populations as one can get, while paying hunters can almost shoot elk, deer or pronghorns off the hoods of their trucks.

As far as selling the lands off, if that happens you can write off free public access. It will be either none at all or very expensive.

Everyone wants to hunt the National Parks, but the Park Service's mission is preservation and protection, not managing for multiple use. Look at a tract of Forest Service land that gets the same intensity of use as Rocky Mountain or Yellowstone national parks and tell me if that is someplace that you would like to hunt.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not I, because I absolutly love fishing and hunting on their properties without any need for permission. To date, I've not had one bit of my access rights diminished. If those were pretty much all private holdings, they would be trashed (overgrazed, logged, developed), and we would mostly be in a fee hunting situation like Texas.

As screwed up as it is, we're still in the best damned country in the world.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sandman1

I recently heard that the federal governments owns approximately 30% of all the land in the U.S. That just ain't right.

65% of Alaska... and huge chunks of that were taken away from hunters by the carter administration.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would be happy to dump both and put states in the drivers seat. It is typical for the Feds to constrain future use of these resources through US Code and they should do so thru negotiations on a case basis.

There's a lot more of the alphabet that needs removal from federal authority as well. One thing I would absolutely not do is combine the subject agencies with DOI.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Seeing how our state manages our state land, as mudhen mentioned, HELL NO. Just look at some of our recent "land swaps" and you can get an idea how bad it could get.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Eliminate forest service and park service, put dept of interior in charge of it all.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Also interesting posting this question on the Campfire Forum, where few venture out far from their computers in the suburbs.

Try posting this in the General Hunting forum for some probable differing responses.

Post's like this always humor me, when most of your post are on the campfire Forum.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,225 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.