N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Might set up quite a show with the northern lights. cool

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012...impact-weather-on-earth/?intcmp=features

Sun fires off 2 huge solar flares, could impact weather on Earth

A giant blast of plasma spat from the sun at as much as 4 million miles per hour Tuesday -- by some measures the largest solar event since late 2006 -- and it could lead to serious issues on Earth, forcing some planes to reroute, knocking out power grids, and blacking out radios.

The sun unleashed the cosmic double whammy late March 6, erupting with two major flares to cap a busy day of powerful solar storms, Space.com reported. One of the flares is the most powerful solar eruption so far this year.

�Super Tuesday? You bet!� joked Joseph Kunches, a space weather scientist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Both of the huge flares ranked as X-class storms, the strongest type of solar flares the sun can have. They followed several weaker, but still powerful, sun storms on Tuesday and came just days after another major solar flare on Sunday night.

�By some measures this is the strongest one since December of 2006,� Kunches explained. Solar activity has already led to an R3 level radio blackout on NOAA�s space weather scale, he explained, a midstrength event on a scale that reaches to R5. Such effects are caused by X-ray emissions from the sun.

The bigger effects will hit the planet over the next 24 hours

For one thing, geomagnetic storms -- disturbances in the geomagnetic field that surrounds the planet -- should hit the G3 level, midway up the scale. That could lead to surges in power lines (a major problem for power companies) and issues with satellites.

�Power grid operators have all been alerted, as well as the regulatory agencies that all pay attention to this,� Kunches said.

GPS users will also be affected because of the highly charged atmosphere; it�s very possible that certain types of applications will be interrupted, specifically highly precise calculations and the high-frequency communications that airplanes rely upon.

Indeed, some polar flights have already been affected, he said.

�Some have already taken action to reroute to ensure their [high-frequency communication],� Kunches said.

Solar radiation storms could reach as high as S4, he noted, which could cause astronauts on the International Space Station to seek shelter from the heightened radiation levels associated with such a storm.

These effects should last about 24 hours, probably lingering overnight into the early morning hours on Friday, pending another eruption -- �and we think there will be more coming,� Kunches said.

The upside? Some areas may experience a wonderful display of the Northern Lights.

�It�s the treat that we get when the sun erupts,� he said.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thursday morning

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I'm going to get up before sunrise and see if the northern lights make it this far south, opportunities to see the northern lights don't happen all that often in Nebraska and when they do I always seem to miss it. The forecast here is for partly cloudy skys in the morning so I might miss it anyway even if they do make it this far south.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I know I won't see em down here (southern VA)

I did see the storm of ?89, in upstate ny. it was wicked! 2 feet of snow on the ground and a sky that looked like it was on fire, GREEN.

Hope it don't fry to much chit

Dave

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
hope you all stocked on up foil

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Us mid-latitude guys don't get see the northern lights very often. I didn't see them this morning either, I was very disappointed but not surprised. frown

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the same "experts", and organizations that warn of disasterous climate change.

For those who have eyes - see, for those who have ears - listen, for those who have brains - vote a Democrat out of office.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
From the same "experts", and organizations that warn of disasterous climate change.

For those who have eyes - see, for those who have ears - listen, for those who have brains - vote a Democrat out of office.

the solar flare thing is a real threat......last true major one was in the 1859 and it literally fried the telegraph system in the US and Europe.....the telegraph lines shorted out causing fires all over.....it is a real risk to our way of life, if it can [bleep] up something as simple as the telegraph more delicate technology is in for real problems....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It probably hadn't hit yet, bassman. Look tonight. I plan to, because the auroras that were so bright a few weeks ago happened when it was overcast here for days. Clear as a bell today.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Us mid-latitude guys don't get see the northern lights very often. I didn't see them this morning either, I was very disappointed but not surprised. frown

Back when I was living up on the Niobrara River east of Valentine, I often flew out of Lincoln if I was traveling east. One night, driving back after a late arriving flight, I was treated to an awesome display of the northern lights for the last half of my drive. That is the only time that I have ever seen them, despite working off and on in Alaska for several years.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little haze and way too much moon for us last night. I looked around 11:00 PM and again when I woke for a bathroom run at 03:00AM. The lights are a rare event for us, but do show up once in a while.

The news footage showing the flare and subsequent shock wave moving across the sun was amazing. The reporters though were woefully weak on specifics though as I would have been intested in the speed of the footage as well as the scale of the images.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can check on the probability of seeing northern lights from here: NOAA Ovation Aurora

Last edited by nighthawk; 03/08/12.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NeBassman
Might set up quite a show with the northern lights. cool

like these?...... http://www.webcenter11.com/Photo.aspx?ugc=9e9513e6-d375-458e-9812-73352eecf33e.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by Mako25

the solar flare thing is a real threat......last true major one was in the 1859 and it literally fried the telegraph system in the US and Europe.....the telegraph lines shorted out causing fires all over.....it is a real risk to our way of life, if it can [bleep] up something as simple as the telegraph more delicate technology is in for real problems....

Very true, NASA estimates that it would take 4-10 years for the US to recover from a repeat of the 1859 Carrington event due to the scarcity and current manufacturing backlog of the high voltage transformers that would need to be replaced. Is anyone prepared to live without electricity for possibly the next four years? The good news is that these type of very large solar flare events only hit the earth about every 500 years. Keep your fingers crossed, more X-class solar flares are bound to happen in the next 2 to 3 years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"For North America, the good part of a solar storm - the one that creates more noticeable auroras or Northern Lights - peaks Thursday evening. Auroras could dip as far south as the Great Lakes states or lower, Kunches said, but a full moon will make them harder to see."

Full story HERE

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pretty quiet so far and obviously my 'puter is still working!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nighthawk:

Neat link. Thanks,

1Minute
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Odds are very good we won't get clobbered. "Super Tuesday's" X-5.4 flare was no where near the size of the 1859 Carrington event and we are not taking a direct hit from it, just a glancing blow. It's more likley to be nusaunce than anything else.

More on the Carrington event of 1859....
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Aurora Forecast for Thursday, March 8, 2012

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pic in the local paper this AM.

[Linked Image]

The aurora borealis fills the sky early Wednesday above
Kenai during a bright and rapidly changing show. The
University of Alaska Fairbanks reported extreme activity
at the time and are projecting a good chance for active
northern lights again Wednesday night.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,403
Posts18,527,970
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.