Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
TFF, Pat, but it looks more true every day.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, really. Any native Texan family (except those related to Houston) hate him. He had aspirations to go to Washington and...oh well, some things never change.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Right...Texas was part of Mexico. In a nut-shell, the Government in Mexico was bad, Texas rebelled and broke away. Then Sam Houston sold Texas out to the United States.

Ok so Mexicans got tired of their corrupt government and rebelled against them and made Texas?

Sam Houston was a Mexican?

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no he was porta rican

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
The Jose Enrique de la Pena account of Crockett and several of the Tennesseans being "captured" or "surrendering" has interested me since I became aware of With Santa Anna in Texas . I know many scholars challenge the work as a forgery. Personally , I don't know. However, logic leads me to believe it might be true. Remember that Crockett and his Tennesseans were defending the wooden palisade, just to the right of the old Mission front. The major attack came on the North Wall, all the way to the other end of the compound. The area where Crockett fought was the last to fall. It is generally considered that it took 90 minutes for the assault to be completed. These defenders had flintlocks; how many times do you think they fired them in this time frame? They were probably out of powder/ball, or the rifles were so fouled, they no longer functioned. The tomahawk and large(Bowie) knife were the "backup" weapons of the day. I suspect the Mexicans attackers were pretty tired also. I surmise they all just quit fighting at the end, as the Mexicans were probably not interested in "hand to hand" fighting with the Tennesseans. General Castrillon intervened on behalf of these last 7 Alamo defenders. Santa Anna ordered them executed.
The Alamo Mission was a ruin, without even a roof. It had not been used as a Mission in many years, prior to 1836.
One would really need to see a sketch of the compound as it existed in March of 1836. The diorama in the Museum is very helpful to see, if you go to the Alamo.
When I took my boys to the Alamo many years ago, the oldest, about 8 or 9, remarked: " I don't see how they had a battle with all these buildings around here!"
AKHnter: you have no valid information on this subject; go back in your hole. Having read many of your posts, it is clear to me you have no information of value on any subject you have posted on. I cannot fathom whether you are a total idiot or if just work real hard at appearing so!
Great post. Yes it was Gen. Castrillon and not Cos who intervened. My bad. I think Cos was already west of San Antonio de Bexar with a good portion of the Army, chasing Gen. Houston. Indeed, the memoir of Pena was what I referenced. Castrillon or de la Pena commented that Santa Anna ordered them executed and none of the actual combatants on the Mexican side seemed eager to do the deed, but a few of Santa Anna's bootlickers who had not participated in the battle, rushed forward and killed them. Other accounts mention torture. Either is believable.

IC B2

496 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
How old are you?

Public school they were to busy teaching us how Christopher Columbus discovered America.

AN OATH IS NOT SOMETHING YOU GIVE BACK UNLESS YOUR A POLITICIAN!

RACISM ALWAYS EQUALS FEAR!

THE WANTS OF THE FEW SHOULD NOT OUTWEIGH THE RIGHT OF THE MANY!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No, really. Any native Texan family (except those related to Houston) hate him. He had aspirations to go to Washington and...oh well, some things never change.

I knew you were serious. I was speaking as what Scott would call a Yankee. But I like Texas a lot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 496
Right...Texas was part of Mexico. In a nut-shell, the Government in Mexico was bad, Texas rebelled and broke away. Then Sam Houston sold Texas out to the United States.

Ok so Mexicans got tired of their corrupt government and rebelled against them and made Texas?

Yes, Texicans rebelled aginst them, with the help of many American heroes.

..and no, Sam Houston was a lawyer and politician.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scott? I don't even know him any more. smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't get me started... grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 496

The area now called Texas was at the time part of an area along with portions of Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas that was the northernmost portion of Mexico. Mexico had a dictator named Santa Anna. He was a tyrant. Santa Anna had already put down at least one rebellion The Fredonian Rebellian in 1826. The Texans were mad because he refused to abide by the Constitution established in 1824. Basically Texas had been settled first by mainly Hispanics but these people had had a difficult time in keeping the Comanche Indians along with other warlike tribes...Karankawas, Kiowas, Apaches, etc. at bay. White settlers were already coming in and the Mexican government offered them land in order to bring them into the fold and insure their alleigance to Mexico rather than the USA and also to provide a buffer against the aforementioned natives. Along with some Hispanic settlers, these immigrants were dissatisfied with the way Santa Anna was running things. They were also probably subject to propaganda from US agents.

The Texans broke away and formed their own government much like their forefathers had in 1775-1776. They quickly formed an Army the core of which were probably existing Ranger units which had protected them from Indians and fought several small battles basically running the token Mexican Army forces out of Texas. Santa Anna disagreed and you can see my former post for a quick explanation. His forces also laid waste to the other Texian force at Goliad which Col. Fannin had surrendered by executing the prisoners. Texas settlers fled from Central Texas to east Texas in what is termed the "Runaway Scrape" pursued by Santa Anna's army. General Houston lead the Texans and had been training in a swampy area near the present day town named for him. The Texans caught Santa Anna's army in a boggy area called "Buffalo Bayou" and whipped them even though they were outnumbered. Santa Anna was captured and Houston forced him to relinquish the title to Texas. Mexico never really fully recognized this action and tried for years during the Republic to get it back culminating in Texas entering the union and the US fighting a war with Mexico over it and other southwestern areas such as California.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

go with music, war is close, all to often.

looming

looking over one's fence

GTC

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=8M6jgq3jYy0[/video]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/08/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Remember the Alamo Greg. Your place could well be the last holdout for those of us heading there. Keep the powder dry til we can burn it. If you get my drift.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
no "Drift" ,....you and I are not associated,...and won't be.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I know I know <wink wink> Third Eschelon REMF. It's ok and all good.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by poboy
Excellent pic. 4a.m.?

Thanks, and almost certainly within an hour of that, yes. Good call.

Taken just before Birdy and I dined at a 24 hour joint, after driving through the night. An hour later or so, he dropped me back at the AP on my way back east.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Santa Anna was a gutless coward that gave no quarter when he was not begging for mercy.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Santa Anna was a gutless coward that gave no quarter when he was not begging for mercy.
IOW he was a typical politician. He'd fit right in today in our own Senate.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Remember the Alamo Greg. Your place could well be the last holdout for those of us heading there. Keep the powder dry til we can burn it. If you get my drift.

WTF? This is kinda creeping me out. I gotta figure that ignore button out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crowrifle

WTF? This is kinda creeping me out. I gotta figure that ignore button out.

There's some BAD "Man Crush" in play here, I have no CLUE who this [bleep] is, and can only say that if, or when, he and his running buds turn up in THIS neck of the brush, they will be asked to move on, they neither needed, or wanted, at this critical moment.

I'm thinking some Thorazine, a straight jacket, and a padded cell are AKHntr's only REAL destiny as regards the Border.

BORDERLINE insanity, if you get MY drift,....wink, wink etc.

GTC

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 673, 11 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,379
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.