Print Thread
Hop To
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Are Woodleigh bullets accurate? I am considering trying their 200 grain 30 caliber Protected Point bullet for my all around big game bullet but also want excellent accuracy. I cannot seem to get the 200 grain Nosler Partition to shoot in my rifle accurately. Rufous.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woodleigh's are excellent bullets, however they are imported from Austrailia and sometimes hard to get. I would not use them for a rifle I shoot a lot of bullets out of. The Swift A frame is about the same cost and easily available because they are made in the USA.
<br>
<br>I have used both and both work outstanding. I just prefer the ones I can get easy. Woodleigh Bullets are famous in the big bore double rifle calibers and common in Europe and Africa. I don't see to many in the USA. I think the US has to many premium bullet makers for them to compete with here.
<br>
<br>

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
www.midwayusa.com
<br>shows them in their catalog, but I have no idea how much inventory they keep... Woodleigh seems to be one of the better choices for the big rifles, Nitro Express type stuff..
<br>
<br>But JJ may be right that Swift A-Frame could be a smarter choice for 30 Caliber?
<br>
<br>

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
JJ, my 300 Win Mag is shooting the Sierra 220 Matchking into 0.4" to 0.7" groups. What might I expect out of the 200 grain Swift A-Frame? Obviously I will not know until I try them in my rifle but I wonder what you have found in the accuracy department from the A-Frames compared to other bullets you have tried in the same rifles. Rufous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a bench rest shooter, varmint shooter, or target shooter so I doubt I could shoot better then an inch at 100 yards. Once my rifles shoot 1-2 or even 2.5" groups at 100 yards I'm done fooling with the bench and start shoot sitting prone or from improvised rests. The game I hunt has about a 8-12" kill zone so Pin Point accuracy from the bench is not relevent to me. I would much rather spend my days in the bush then on the bench.
<br>
<br>With that known I could not tell you what to expect in accuracy compared to your level of accurate shooting. I just don't put that much concern into it. A 2.5" group at 100 yards is a 7.5" group at 300. I'll kill any big animal alive with that accuracy. I do know I have on occasion had bullet holes in the targets with the holes actually touching and that's always satisfying day of shooting. I would guess they will be as accurate as needed for big game because I have never missed an animal, wounded and animal, or had a single animal escape when using well over 100 of them in the 30/06 and 375HH.
<br>
<br>Maybe somebody else here with a super accurate setup who shoots great knows better then I do. I'm just a hunter and doubt I will ever shoot the accurate groups you do with any rifle or bullet I own. Please don't take this wrong. I just don't put the effort into trying to shoot any better. I'm probably asking for trouble by not working harder at that? I just don't enjoy shooting targets so I'm usually wandering the bush or the mountains with my rifle instead of shooting it a lot.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi rufous. You might want to consider the new Barnes XLC 168 gr. bullet. It is made with a Tangent Ogive, not a Secant Ogive as are the other Barnes X bullets. This means it gives up a little BC, and gains the ability to be more accurate in a wider range of barrels and loads, according to Barnes.
<br> That bullet often retains more than 90% of it's weight. Ask Big Sky what they, in the 165 gr. weights, do on big black bears. It should penetrate as well as a 200 gr. Nosler Partition. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 80 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.