-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned that Stihl for close to 10+ years now, and have never had any problems with it as long as I keep the plug and filter clean, and make sure the filter is set up for the appropriate temp./season.

My first couple of years cutting all those cords of wood was exclusively with the Stihl. I ended up getting the Husky because it was a screaming deal ($200), and it was the size I needed.

I firmly ascribe to trying have @1/3 of your bar clear while felling a tree. But I did use that Stihl to take down some trees that were over 32" in dia.!

Friend of mine had an old 42" Stihl that I truly coveted....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a one man crosscut saw for my line cabins and a Stihl Saw at my main camp. My big wood burner will take 6' logs so it is less cutting on the trees. Small stoves will work you to the bone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hence why so many people have gas fireplaces.

Making wood is hard work, no matter how you go about it. People ain't getting rich selling it at $200 a cord, split and delivered.

Funny how my kids miss stacking wood now that we live in a big city.....

Me, I feel naked without a couple of cords stacked in the yard somewhere (I am pretty sure the HOA would frown on that).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A remote wood fired boiler is the way to go, as long as it's chimney is properly stacked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I've owned that Stihl for close to 10+ years now, and have never had any problems with it as long as I keep the plug and filter clean, and make sure the filter is set up for the appropriate temp./season.

My first couple of years cutting all those cords of wood was exclusively with the Stihl. I ended up getting the Husky because it was a screaming deal ($200), and it was the size I needed.

I firmly ascribe to trying have @1/3 of your bar clear while felling a tree. But I did use that Stihl to take down some trees that were over 32" in dia.!

Friend of mine had an old 42" Stihl that I truly coveted....

Stihl have a great reputation; I think he just got a dud.

My larger Husky was a screaming deal like yours. It hadn't been run in 6-8 years so I bought it cheap thinking a carb overhaul might be in the works. It was a little balky at first but runs like a champ now!

I too have cut some stuff up with my 20" saw that was way bigger than 20" across. Not ideal, and you better have a bar/chain that cuts straight, but doable.

I just ran into several really hard teeth on my bigger saw. WTF? A file won't touch them.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a saw expert, but if the oiler ran dry/ quit working the heat would work harden the teeth. Could be what happened with yours.

Chains are cheap.

Are you sure it isn't a safety tooth that you are trying to sharpen?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe that Scott F could probably offer a better analysis....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've run into the odd hard tooth before but this chain has several. Oiler seems fine... I can't remember what I last cut with it last summer or whatever. Something sure hardened a few teeth! File skates over them like glass.

Chains are cheap, it's true, and this one is half used up anyway, and I've got a new spare waiting in the wings anyway. It's no big thing, just a curiosity.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep several crosscut and buck saws around as "what if" backups. Put up about one cord a year just to review the mechanics and give my relatives something to talk about.
As shown buck saw on bottom, oneman or twoman, left and two man crosscut on right.
[Linked Image]

Granddad and Dad passed on to me the knowledge to keep saws sharp and in good working order. Some of my saws are set for hardwood and others for softwood.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That one man CC saw looks great; exactly what I am looking for!

My FIL lives on the old family farm in WI, north of Eau Claire. He has all of the old hand tools, and more importantly, the knowledge of how to maintain them. Like you mentioned, different woods require a different set for optimum use.

My wife still insists that the proper way to build a fire is to start with white pine kindling, then red oak, and finally to bank it with either walnut or maple! As a westerner, I cringe at the thought of burning those hardwoods!!!! grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could have been amber in the wood. Fire kill is notorious for that, but it can also be found in live and standing dead, especially beetle kill.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by UncleJake
I am still looking to pick up a nice one man 36"-42" crosscut saw though. Just trying to find the right one. That, and a good double bit axe.

Lehmans will get you a good saw. I just look around and find axe heads at junk stores and rehang them. 99.99% of the axes in stores today are cast in Mexico. If you want a good forged axe you have to find an old one or get one of the high dollar Swedish axes.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That looks like a picture from my childhood. We had similar saws and cut firewood with all of them. Dad always took the saws out to a local guy to sharpen. He did good work and the saws always cut well. I always preferred the two man but could cut well with the one man saw also. I never got along well with a bow saw though, even when it was sharp.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son in law.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
The woodshed at my hunting cabin. When I look at it, I see money in the bank! I cut all of that by hand, assisted by a Stihl!

[Linked Image]

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.