Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I don't think that this is a wise idea. There is too much anonymity and opportunities to take advantage of your generous offer the way you are going about this.

I would sell your rifle and donate the money to a charity such as the Boy Scouts if I were you.

Conrad, you are free to express your opinions, but I respectfully ask you to take your opinion elsewhere. Read this thread from the beginning. If your heart is still hard, then you are not welcome here. This thread is about helping those in need. It is the greatest attribute of humanity. You suggest not trusting those who seek help. That is an animal trait, not a human one.

Maybe you have been betrayed, more than once I suspect, given your tone in this post. Because of that, I hope and pray you will find peace. But please don't muddy this thread with dis-trust and negativity. What we are doing here is something good. God Bless.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Taylorce1,

My nephew was one of the recipients of others' generosity earlier on this thread. I suppose that there is always the possibility of someone taking advantage of kindness, but I don't think that we should live our lives presuming as though it will happen. I can't tell you how moved my nephew James was when he realized that a group of total strangers had pooled together to provide him with everything he needed to get out in the woods on his 12th birthday. And as much as James, his parents were awestruck by what a remarkable act of generosity it was. These things really make a difference, and people (not only kids, but their parents too!) need to see 'the milk of human kindness' now and then. And goodness is contagious.

Finally, the various generous acts of some of the 'fire members have also been the beginning of friendships that I hope I have made through this thread...

Just my $.02.

PS-Jody, thank you for posting about your family and your son. I am very grateful to you for your example of good fatherhood. Our country and the world need more men like you--God bless you!

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dclayton,

I think you meant to direct your post to ConradCa and not Taylorce1 but i agree with what you said.

Taylor has been an active donor in this deal and is currently working up a stock for a .270 that's going to go to a youngin via this thread.

Most everyone who mentored the delivery of a rifle to a youngster that they nominated is a well represented and active member on here and I believe everyone thus far has posted pics of the delivery and thank you letters.

This is a great chance for those of us that can afford to give to those who can't to keep kids hunting.

I for one will stay involved and try to be a part of every giveaway I can.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MallardAddict,

You're absolutely right--I was originally going to encourage Taylor to go ahead and give that .270 Win w/o reservation, but somehow got sidetracked as I rambled! smile It was meant more as a "hear hear" to echo Taylor's comments than anything else...

Last edited by dclayton; 01/22/13.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got a set of Bushnell Binocs that are surplus...

10 x 50s....

free to a good home to any campfire connected youth...

PM me if interested...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look I just think that this donation would be great if he actually knew the kid who would receive it or some he trusted did.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Look I just think that this donation would be great if he actually knew the kid who would receive it or some he trusted did.

I suppose that's understandable, and I appreciate your thoughts. However: I have made donations without considering who the recipient might be, and found those particular donations to be the most rewarding of all, even considering the lack of any thought of gratitude. Just give something to someone who needs it, and you'll understand. I am actually the recipient of a very fine rifle, gifted by the generous folks on this forum. If you're interested in the story, click my username.

Another generous forum member gave a rifle to my son, and others added additional gear.

I have had the honor to participate in similar gifting projects, and that is probably the greatest reason that this particular forum gives me more pride as a member than any other forum I've ever been a part of.

The folks here won't steer you wrong.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the commnents remind me of something I once said to my mother regarding her church.
The church was small, the the building and land belonged to the father of the preacher, and they were active in looking to buy more land with the church money.
My Mom believed strongly in giving her 10%, and I suggested that the church might be taking advantage of her.
Her words, which I will always remember were,
"I give my money to God, and whatever he lets them do with it is his business"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have always contributed when I can. Perhaps there are those who would take advantage, but have not really seen it happen yet. To me it's a karma thing, what comes around goes around. My folks did not hunt, if it were not for others I would never had and enjoyed hunting. It is what the good book say one should do, what ever book it is that you read.

Last edited by smithrjd; 02/24/13.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
listen gents, i couldn't care who got the rifle. i'm glad that it seems to be a good kid and that the one who suggested the child was honest. if it would have been shady i wouldn't have done it. I did this for ME! no one else. i was selfish and self centered but this was about me feeling good. I'm just happy that three boys got something good out of it and it seems that a few more have got some really cool stuff too! if we stop caring for our future we're dead as a group. one rifle will never hurt me and i can afford to do whatever the hell i want with anything i have. it's not about monetary value! it's about this culture that we as a group love!!!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody that hasn't already done so and can donate monetarily to a campfire member's 3-yr old daughter that's been diagnosed with leukemia please read this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...67695/all/Calling_all_Campfire_members_t

Or if you have something to sell to donate proceeds, please feel free.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
J
Wow, that's pretty awesome! I don't know you, but... Well done Paul!

There's something about the outside of a horse, that's good for the inside of a man... Winston Churchill
J
J
I'm not a guy who spends a lot of time on the computer. In fact, I replied after only reading the first post. But this caught my attention. I just spent the last 2 hours reading this entire thread... and I'm pretty impressed. This is a group of fine sportsman here. I was fortunate to grow up with a Dad who took me hunting. My best friend didn't have a dad who cared for the outdoors, so my dad sort of adopted him every fall during hunting season. If it weren't for my old man, my best friend would never have had the opportunity to hunt. Now he lives for it. You guys just did for a couple kids you don't even know what my old man did for my best friend when I was a kid. Now I have a son of my own and another on the way. I can't wait for the day when I have the opportunity to share what I love with my own sons, and maybe I'll get lucky and have the chance to take one of their friends hunting who's dad doesn't hunt. That's really what the sport is all about! Too bad more people aren't aware of the goodness among American Sportsmen.

There's something about the outside of a horse, that's good for the inside of a man... Winston Churchill
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The generosity of the memebers here is overwhelming.
I'm a new member and just happened to pick this thread to be the first read.
There are lots on young boys and girls who need help to carry on or heritage.
I have helped several youngsters to learn about hunting and fishing.
I know of a young family who lost thier father to cancer and I have helped them to enjoy the out of doors. The youngest boy who is 13 now has taken and passed his hunter saftey course and I hope to get him out this fall and teach him how to hunt. His mother is putting two of his sisters threw collage and is pressed for free time. The father who was a US Postal worker did set up a trust for the children so the esentials are taken care of and they aren't lacking or struggling to get by. But money for a rifle or shot gun isn't in the budget. I plan on letting him use one of my rifles this fall and a shot gun that was my son's. I'm hoping my rifles aren't to long for him but if they are I'll try to teach him to adjust.
Thanks for listening.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Peterbilt, you are right-the generosity of the guys on this forum is amazing. I was one of the ones who nominated a youngster, and he received more than enough equiptment to get him hunting. While Trinton didn't get a shot this year, he is still smiling from the things he received from people who don't even know him. Sort of what it is all about.

There is another thread right now about a young girl who has some serious medical problems. It appears that the folks are stepping up to help her and her family. I just wish that I was in a position to do something. I have seen what kindness can do for folks, and certainly hope to be able to help out others in the future.

Good luck with the young man you are mentoring. I know that he will thank you forever, as likely will his mom. Time spent hunting/fishing is some of the best quality time a person can spend. My dad and I hunted up until last year. At 88, his eyes are failing and he is giving it up. I don't know where I will find a new partner,, and it isn't the same trying to go by yourself. Enjoy the time with him as I know he will enjoy the time with you.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ain't been on here in forever. glad to see this is still going!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Glad to see you are too. Where you been? (Just kidding.)

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I've been working, taking care of two boys and now remarried with a step son. Life has been pretty good to me lately!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Remarried? Good for you. That seems fast but I reckon it wasn't. Time flies. Good to have the boys to keep you busy. The more the merrier.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the new bride and new child to spoil the [bleep] out of Paul.

Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.