Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DF I am with you, I wasn't referring to you but the person that stated the "Greateast" hunters don't use them.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
It is really funny how people think a mans time and talents are overpriced. It doesn't matter the industry, trade, ect. People want something for nothing.

I guess a man investing in the machinery, tooling, manpower, and supplies to make a fine well built rifle should just give them away. Thats without taking into account his expenses to run the business like Rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, ect.

Agreed, and the reason many are willing to accept sub-standard Chinese schit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I do not doubt that a Cooper would be a great gun, and not over priced, at under $1,000.

But it seems that sellers are listing with opening bids twice that amount.

In my experience, GB is not the place to score a good deal on a Cooper. Most of the guns I see on that site with astronomical opening bids get listed over and over again.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own two, a 52 Classic in 308 and a 57M and love them both. Accuracy is great, wood is beautiful, action and trigger are smooth but the 52 stock was a little to thick overall so I dropped it in a Phoenix stock.

Before I sent the EW off to PacNor for a 260 barrel, I compared the price of an Excalibur to the cost of the used EW and rebarrel and went with the EW project.

Both of my Coopers were less than 975.00 almost ten years ago.

Yes, I believe they are overpriced for my budget, 1,800-2,200 for an Excalibur, especially in blued steel. So I just watch for good deals on the used market.

I believe they are priced within reason for a semi-custom with an accuracy guarantee.

Last edited by RDW; 03/09/12.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've had seven Coopers and three Dakotas. Between those two, I think the Cooper is the better value.

Are they worth the money?

Hard for me to tell anyone how to spend their money. But, for me, they have been a good value because they'be been "turn key". No need to mess with bedding, trigger work, feeding issues, etc.

Get'em and go shoot and hunt.

I find them to be accurate, reliable and hold their value reasonably well.

Last edited by JimR; 03/09/12.
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
in 1997 i bought a new Dakota 76 in 270 for $1595 when a sporting goods store had gone under and another dealer bought it's entire inventory at auction. i am NOT wealthy and sold a Ruger #1 plus used some of my father's life insurance to buy it and remember him. it's been well worth that price to me but i would never have paid the 3K regular price at that time, or 5K now. been worth it for the fine trigger (hard to find in those days), superb accuracy with every load i've ever tried, balance and weight, beautiful wood, craftsmanship, and confidence building. i've hunted it hard and it shows, but i enjoy the scars of shared memories of deer and black bear. 1 1/2 years ago i bought a new cooper classic 54 in 260 with my mom's farewell money for $1650. i like it too for the same reasons (2 trophy bucks already), it's compactness even more but the safety much less. abetter value for sure. no regrets on either, but not if dakota was full-price.

Yesu ai zhongguo
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
The Coopers and the Dakotas are very appealing to the eye and have a reputation for quality and accuracy.

But they are not appealing to my wallet and it seems that they do not move fast on GunBroker.

Are they overpriced like jewelry? Very expensive if you want to buy -- but hard to sell for half the retail price if you want to sell

I guess I'm late to the party.

You could be right. The key is to be the next guy in line. I try to live by the motto, buy low, sell high, collect early and pay late. I probably buy 7 used rifles for every new rifle.
I currently have a dozen Coopers in my collection. None were bought new. All were bought between 40 and 60% of MSRP. I've owned most all the A-Z production rifles, and
I tell folks, if the only thing I was interested in was accuracy, then all my rifles would be Savage. However, that is not the case. I find that for my money,Sakos and Coopers, if purchased right are two of the best values going. And at this stage of the game, I'd give the nod to Cooper as to the different chamberings, accuracy, quality of wood, fit/finish, triggers.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/09/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by avagadro

It all depends on what you're after. Some would say an MB is overpriced when you can get a VW .... A Buick is overpriced when you can get a Chevy ....

Well said

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I thought all the greatest hunters used a thutty - thutty ! Personally I think an older Cooper with nice wood is a bargain ... todays Pre 64 Winchester ... investment wise . Usually some small stuff to fix up : like buggered screws , a badly adjusted Trigger , etc . I've heard different stories about the weight of wood stocked Coopers vs. the Phoenix . The Cooper Rep . told me it depends on the particular piece of wood . GW , you lucky XXXX , when you buy those Coopers at 40-60% of MSRP ....are you wearing a Mask and pointing something at those Sellers ???

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by boy1
GW , you lucky XXXX , when you buy those Coopers at 40-60% of MSRP ....are you wearing a Mask and pointing something at those Sellers ???

boy1,

Speaking as an old fart, it has been my experience that whether one is hunting for critters or rifles, being patient and observant pays off.

I've been collecting rifles rather avidly since 1995. I've learned to be patient. It was 10 years before I found the Cooper model 21 in 20 Vartarg at the price I wanted to pay.
My first Cooper was purchased from a friend that was rather impatient and did most things on a whim. He would buy a rifle, own and shoot it for a couple months, then go on to something else. I purchased the model 38 Classic in 22 Hornet pictured below with the Luepold Scope included for $1k.

[Linked Image]

Another good deal, a model 52, Jackson Game with 26" fluted stainless barrel, chambered in 25-06 was purchased from a "Trust fund baby". He advertised on Gunbroker but wanted to do a FTF in a hurry. He had been given this rifle for a graduation present, but was about $1,200 short on the Perazzi shotgun he wanted. I met him at Briley's in Houston. Got this one for the above mentioned price along with 5 boxes of premium ammo.

[Linked Image]

My latest was a model 21 Varmint Extreme in 223 Rem. Its a lefty, but I figured for 12 benjamins and no cheekpiece I could live with it. Fellow that had it had bought a "lot" of rifles in an estate sale. He put it up for sale not knowing it was a Varmint extreme.

[Linked Image]

I�m a right handed shooter, but the pix of the groups he posted along with the rifle kinda tipped me over the edge�� that plus the �04 vintage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've only paid over $1,250 on one Cooper. It was a model 22 Varmint Extreme in 308 Win, killer wood and a factory brake. I probably paid more than I should, but lust sometimes makes a fellow stupid.

[Linked Image]

The varminters are relatively easy to find. The classics and the repeaters (models 52,54 and 56) are much harder to steal. Sometime folks at pawn shops that aren�t familiar with Coopers don�t know what they have. I generally do. I happen to like single shots so the model 21,22,and 38 appeal to me. Especially the older ones. I happen the think that the ones produced in the late 90�s and early 2000�s had better wood. Whether they shoot better or not, Quien sabe? They work for me.

Best

GWB

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had some good shooting rifles over the years, but so far nothing has topped my 54 Excalibur in 7-08. I shot this group this morning before the wind got up. 100 yards, 3 shots, measured outside to outside and then subtracted .284.
[Linked Image]
The next few groups I shot weren't as small as the one above, but the largest of the session is below.
[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by greydog

I like the Cooper rifles. They seem to be a good quality rifle which performs well. Functionally, they don't offer much over the average Ruger but they look a lot better doing it. GD

I don't think I buy that premise. IMHO, the typical Ruger won't group with the typical Cooper.

DF

Comparing a Ruger production rifle to a semi custom Cooper is laughable.

Based on the little I�ve seen of Coopers, I agree a typical Ruger probably won�t group with them. My safe, however, is full of Rugers and will probably never see a Cooper.

The law of diminishing returns applies - once you get to a certain level of accuracy the cost of smaller group sizes ramps up dramatically but generally do little or nothing to affect the outcome when shooting big game. Bug holes are nice but MOA works just as well for my needs and many of my Rugers will do better � some much better.

I won�t say Coopers and Dakotas are overpriced, just that I�ll likely never do more look at them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Geedubya you have some really nice coopers.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
GW , I like your style and those Coopers , but I don't have your will power . My mammy told me : " when you see something you really want , grab it " . I like that 223 / H322 Load , but my Hart Barrel likes 1.5 Gr. less Powder with that Bullet . Question : What are those first two spotted Pelts ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMc
Met a guy that was famous in the fly-fishing arena. He�d written a number of �How To� books and gave lectures all over. I had the pleasure of conversing with him on a number of occasions. People always wanted his opinion on the latest greatest gear.
Knowing I had a favorite fishing haunt in Mexico he asked me if I�d ever seen a soda can fisherman. I said yes I had on a few occasions. A �soda-can fisherman� is a guy that tosses out a piece of string with a baited hook on the end, and slowly �reels the string in all the while wrapping the excess string around the soda can. He made the point that the soda-can fisherman was a much �greater� fisherman than anyone he could name. The soda can fisherman�s life depends on his catch.
Again he explained that most everyone wanted his advice on flies and gear rather than asking how to read the water, knowing what rock to cast behind, knowing what eddies hold fish and which do not, and how to identify drop-offs, etc. It�s not the equipment that defines greatness; it�s knowing your quarries habits and forage.
I�m fairly certain that the �greatest� hunters won�t be using a Cooper or a Dakota. As an �object de art�, I�d say they very well could be worth the money.
D

A Tecate beer can works better. Ask me how I know.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Freeman1
Geedubya you have some really nice coopers.

Thanks for the kind words. I put some time and effort into collecting them.
I tell the story that when I was born my folks were so poor that they could not afford a name, only initials. My dad nor any of his brothers hunted. A boy down the street would lend me old copies of hunting and gun mags. As a youngster I swore to myself if I ever made any money I was going to own some rifles.
Fast forward 50 years and I have been fortunate to have a modest collection. None are safe queens other than residing in an atmospherically controlled secure environment. I develop loads and hunt them. Just about all have nicks or scratches from the Texas hill country environment. A blessing or a curse depending on how one looks at it, but we have a ton of hogs here. In my mind not only are they good to eat (love those pulled pork sandwiches), but make the perfect medium for testing bullets.

Best

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by boy1
Question : What are those first two spotted Pelts ?

Those are Axis deer. They are exotics here, so they can be shot year round with no limit.

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by DMc
Met a guy that was famous in the fly-fishing arena. He�d written a number of �How To� books and gave lectures all over. I had the pleasure of conversing with him on a number of occasions. People always wanted his opinion on the latest greatest gear.
Knowing I had a favorite fishing haunt in Mexico he asked me if I�d ever seen a soda can fisherman. I said yes I had on a few occasions. A �soda-can fisherman� is a guy that tosses out a piece of string with a baited hook on the end, and slowly �reels the string in all the while wrapping the excess string around the soda can. He made the point that the soda-can fisherman was a much �greater� fisherman than anyone he could name. The soda can fisherman�s life depends on his catch.
Again he explained that most everyone wanted his advice on flies and gear rather than asking how to read the water, knowing what rock to cast behind, knowing what eddies hold fish and which do not, and how to identify drop-offs, etc. It�s not the equipment that defines greatness; it�s knowing your quarries habits and forage.
I�m fairly certain that the �greatest� hunters won�t be using a Cooper or a Dakota. As an �object de art�, I�d say they very well could be worth the money.
D

A Tecate beer can works better. Ask me how I know.

Won't argue with that,
here's my method

Have to get up kinda close and personal and knowing their habits sure don't hurt,............

[Linked Image]

I happen to prefer Jim Beam. Not as fast as a bullet,
but I can usually take 'em the best three out of five.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/11/12.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,211
Posts18,485,426
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.