Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The dish reminds me of bagna cauda, traditional Italian dip, that I had a number of years ago at a Christmas party:

A lot of garlic, simmered in butter and mostly EVOO, anchovies, continue simmering until it looks creamy and anchovies are melded in, can add a bit of tomato sauce and/or cream. All for dipping blanched veggies and bread. Wicked.

All that cabbage would work well with this, at least that is how it was served when I had it. My mouth waters...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I brown real bacon bits in EVO.
Add a sliced onion.
Add 1 sliced jalapeno.
Add 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped.
Add 1/2 of a large head of cabbage, chopped.
Saute for 6-8 minutes,cover reduce heat, cook to your taste.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put some egg noddles in there and you have Haluski. (Polish)

Chris

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
fry the cabbage in real butter, add paprikia, lots of black pepper and a bit of garlic powder. after its cooked pretty well, cover it with low sodium chicken broth and then throw in some egg noodles and and stir it all up and cook until noodles are soft. its even better the next day.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem141r
fry the cabbage pork loin in real butter, add paprikia, lots of black pepper and a bit of garlic powder.

That combination right there makes one heck of a thin sliced pork loin dance on your taste buds..... Try it sometime... It'd go nice right alongside some of that cabbage.

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was cruising through and was stopped when I saw "Fried cabbage". At home we had a lot of fried cabbage and noodles. Nasty stuff.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Love fried cabbage. Last time I did some, I used the usual bacon, cabbage, onions, but I sauteed the onions in brown sugar, and the result was awesome!

[Linked Image]

maddog

B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I could see brown sugar but than I can't.I my self like it with lots of black pepper and the vinager was a nice touch.

I don't feed em I eat em
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sweet & sour or German Cabbage-- red cabbage, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, sauted with bacon bits, or use EVO if you don't want the bacon. Can throw a little onion in ( I normally do) Wonderfull!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
man i'm drooling. throw in a big skillet of cornbread and you're right up town.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made fried cabbage again since you guys brought it up. Fried a couple slices of bacon, chopped. Added some thinly sliced potato, then chopped onion, then carrot sliced with the potato peeler, then chopped cabbage, waiting between additions so they are all done at the same time. Scant quarter cup sugar, salt, pepper, just a little cumin and caraway. Toss while the sugar brings out liquids and cabbage tenderizes, add scant quarter cup vinegar and let it simmer while the liquid thickens and excess moisture evaporates. Really hit the spot tonight.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Made fried cabbage again since you guys brought it up. Fried a couple slices of bacon, chopped. Added some thinly sliced potato, then chopped onion, then carrot sliced with the potato peeler, then chopped cabbage, waiting between additions so they are all done at the same time. Scant quarter cup sugar, salt, pepper, just a little cumin and caraway. Toss while the sugar brings out liquids and cabbage tenderizes, add scant quarter cup vinegar and let it simmer while the liquid thickens and excess moisture evaporates. Really hit the spot tonight.

YUM YUM!

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make a dough of flour lard a little salt �let sit over nite ���..fry chopped cabbage in butter till it yellows and browns an wilts a bit�.roll out the �new dough� on a floured surface fairly thin. Layer the top with about � inch of the cabbage dust well with sugar a touch of salt and pepper�roll up seal ends ..lay seem side down brush with butter a little sprinkle of sugar �..place on lightly greased 1� tall cookie sheet in the oven for 350 or so about ad hour ��crust should be lite brown a crisp like a pie crust let set a bit �slice about 1.5 think and serve warm ���other than �slaw� this is the only (imo) way to good eats !!!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
B
bigbrie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Man that sounds could you cook that up and post a pic of that? laugh

I don't feed em I eat em
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigbrie
Man that sounds could you cook that up and post a pic of that? laugh
u eat it with homemade tater soup ..i'm get'in the "wants" so i mite wip some up.......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That reminds me of my Hawaiian friends' Mom cooking Kahlua Pig for us.

She would season a 4-5lb pork-butt roast with coarse-ground salt & black pepper,add a cup of water to the baking pan with a scant 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke sprinked mixed in, and bake for about 3 hours at 325F.

Remove the roast from the oven, shred it into bite-size pieces, and put it into a large pan.

Chop a large head of cabbage into coarse shreds along with two large onions.

Sautee the pork, cabbage, and onions together over medium heat until the cabbage is soft and the onions are clear.

GOOOOODD STUFF, Maynard! grin

Not really authentic Hawaiian, but then we didn't have koa wood for the fire pit, nor banana leaves to wrap the pork in, living in Anchorage. grin

Of course, my Mom's fried cabbage, just like your recipe, is great, too!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had some fried cabbage and buffalo loin steaks night before last...Yum!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread inspired me to use the leftover half of cabbage I had from St. Patty's Day.

I cooked up some fried cabbage with andouille sausage instead of bacon.

My oh my was it good! smile

Half a head of cabbage, half a sweet onion, two andouille sausages, garlic powder, S & P, celery seed, cumin and creole seasoning.

It's a new favorite.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Goin cabbage crazy reading these recipe ideas...my Easter sausage order is due soon, gonna try it with a version here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
This thread inspired me to use the leftover half of cabbage I had from St. Patty's Day.

I cooked up some fried cabbage with andouille sausage instead of bacon.

My oh my was it good! smile

Half a head of cabbage, half a sweet onion, two andouille sausages, garlic powder, S & P, celery seed, cumin and creole seasoning.

It's a new favorite.

Thanks for the supper idea!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 65 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.