Print Thread
Hop To
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
have perfectly good .25-06 that i got a good deal on. wanted to use action to build .257 bob on. can i just set back the current barrel and rechamber? the barrel is a pretty heavy ER shaw. mauser action in case that matters

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe the 257 bob has more taper in the body, and hence you can't just cut the barrel back. It would work for a 257 bob improved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could cut it back but how much would be determined by the diameter of the portion in front of the receiver. IMHO, if it is an ER Shaw barrel, take it off, $hit can it and buy a good barrel. Maybe that is why you got such a good deal on it.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hate to be like this but have enough experience to agree with JKob.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
i have heard 10 guys say good stuff for every 1 bad on er shaw. including dave petzal and john barsness.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i have heard 10 guys say good stuff for every 1 bad on er shaw. including dave petzal and john barsness.

They get paid to do that. If you got paid to do it wouldn't you also praise it? It is the best second rate barrel out there.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have three rifles i barrel with Shaw barrels and all shoot within the halve inch range sometime just under and sometime just over. I have yet to get a bad Shaw Barrel. Believe me if my rifles don't shoot they get new barrels and if the Shaw's didn't shoot they would have been history a long time ago. Shaw get a lot of undeserved negative press. They may not be the most expensive but for a hunting rifle they get it done with high marks and they will out group some of the name brand barrel makers . Accuracy starts and ends with who barrel and chamber the barrel more than the brand barrel you choice to purchase. Don't knock the Shaw barrel until you try one. No matter what brand of barrel, you can and will get a bad one if you re-barrel rifles long enough .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have had BAD Shilens and BAD Harts barrels before, the only one that I didnt have a bad one with so far was Lilja, have some Shaw barrels and for what there intended for there as good as it gets, they are intended to upgrade from a factory barrel without draining your wallet. If you want benchrest accurary then by a Hart, Lilja, Shilen, if you want a good hunting barrel buy a Shaw. And BTW I have a Shaw barrel chambered for 6BR that will shoot bugholes, it sits on a Remington 788 with a McMillan stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had one shaw barrel and will never have another it was junk. might be just one bad apple but that was enough for me.

Ed

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
My question would be WHY??? go from a "perfectly good 25-06" to a 257 Roberts????????? If you want a Roberts just down load the 25-05 a bit an you have one, and spend all that extra money on shooting components or even better BUY a 257 Roberts and have BOTH.

I've had "bad" high dollar barrels way in the past, but now I pretty much stick with McGowen, A&B and Shaw. I have no need for high dollar, high accuracy barrels NOR the pocketbook to pay the freight and ALL those "cheap" barrels will do half inch or better if you do YOUR part with the system, the trigger work and the ammo is built accurate.

Ive used 5 shaw barrels in the past 2 years, one ended up "bad" but I just returned it and received one that is doing all I expected and more. I think the barrel was one of those "Friday/Monday" things..."Hurry up I wanna go home/jeezz my head hurts", grabbed the wrong reamer and punched in the wrong codes...it happens to ALL of us at one time or another.

I also thing there is a WHOLE LOT of "repeaters with NO real experience" floating around on the net..."He wrote, I read, I got diarhea of the mouth, and I don't really know doodly."

Most barrels are done on CNC equipment using very well understood machining practices, high quality materials and highly skilled machinists that know their machines AND the process...but SH** still happend now and then...NO ONE is perfect and neither are factory produced products...but many products are as close as economics and processes can provide.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Try to return a Shilen barrel, sorta like getting the USPS pay up on there insurance claims

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've used Shaw barrels on at least a dozen customer "hunting" rifles - meaning they had to 3-shot group 1.5 MOA or less when I was done with them. None have been bad, several were outstanding, and I would not hesitate to buy one for myself.

Shaw's customer service I have always found to be outstanding.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have bought 3 Shaw barrels and all will shoot 1/2 moa
270 wsm
6.5 rem mag
6.5x55
all are varmit weight 26"

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The question WHY begs to be asked here !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jkob
if it is an ER Shaw barrel, take it off, $hit can it and buy a good barrel. Maybe that is why you got such a good deal on it.

You are talking out your ass.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had shaw rebarrel a win 70 to 35 whelenfor my dad, it turned out really well and has been proven very accurate. Not a 1/2 shooter but will do 1.25-1.5 inches pretty regularly.

I'm fairly partial to douglas barrels now but I wouldn't count out a shaw until I tried it out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
have perfectly good .25-06 that i got a good deal on. wanted to use action to build .257 bob on. can i just set back the current barrel and rechamber? the barrel is a pretty heavy ER shaw. mauser action in case that matters

Are the receiver rails opened up too much for the 25-06 for a .257 bob to feed properly?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 12savage, 53 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,299
Posts18,505,349
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.