Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KBA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
If you're in the neighborhood, please make sure to stop by the Badger Knife Show in Janesville, Wisconsin on 23-25 March, 2012.
This show has been sold out for exhibitors for many, many years.
That should tell you something. wink

http://www.badgerknifeclub.org/show/index.shtml

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what bothers me about these shows, and most gun shows as well, is that the people running them charge you to come in so that they can sell you something.

I wonder what people would say if the grocery stores and the hardware stores and the liquor stores and all of the other stores charged a fee to get in the door!

K
KBA Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
"........ so they can sell you something"??
"They" aren't selling you anything.
The money you pay at the door goes to pay the rent and bills for the premises that the show promoter owes the owner of the building. There are thousands of dollars involved in putting on a three day show.
The money you spend inside goes to the makers for the knives they make.
If you have any true interest in knives - at all - 5 bucks to get into a knife show to see 100s of tables of knives from all sorts of makers in one room under one roof shouldn't even come into question.
I don't know where else you can get an entire day's pleasure and entertainment, not to mention the opportunity to spend the day with 100s of people who enjoy the same thing you do, for 5 bucks.
I guess I do not understand your statement - at all.

Karl B. Andersen
www.andersenforge.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The money you pay at the door goes to pay the rent and bills for the premises that the show promoter owes the owner of the building. There are thousands of dollars involved in putting on a three day show."

And that money should come out of the business owners pockets.
As I said, no other stores I frequent charge an entrance fee to come in and shop, and I can get a lot of pleasure and entertainment looking at a lot of other things where they don't charge a fee to get in.

For example, I live 4 miles from the Mall of America. It doesn't charge an entrance fee, nor do any of the stores that sell merchandise. and I can spend an entire day there with much pleasure and entertainment and spend the day with sometimes tens of thousands of people who enjoy the same thing I do for free.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An admission fee helps to keep out some of the riffraff that we commonly see frequenting the malls.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would imagine that as long as the revenue gained in higher entrance fees to keep out the riffraff is more than the cost of lost sales that theory works out for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're beginning to see the light, but it goes a little farther than that.

To many of the exhibitors involved, this is not just about the money. This is their passion in life. A knife show, or gun show, is almost like deer camp for them. It is a social event. A few lost sales are considered a very small price to pay in order to maintain the feeling of camaraderie, and an overall quality experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, I think I am begining to see darkness.

A bunch of guys want to get together for some comaraderie because its their life, so they decide that the way to pay for that is to charge the public money.

I guess when I want to get together with a bunch of people I feel as though I should pay for it.

No matter what else these shows might be, and no matter how much comaraderie is going on, the bottom line is that they want to sell something to somebody else.

Its up to them if they want to charge for it. I am not saying they shouldn't. All I am saying is that I know one hell of a lot of folks that aren't going to pay somebody elses rent in order to be sold something, and that includes me.

No problem. Have a good time at the shows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, I think I am begining to see darkness.

A bunch of guys want to get together for some comaraderie because its their life, so they decide that the way to pay for that is to charge the public money.

I guess when I want to get together with a bunch of people I feel as though I should pay for it.

No matter what else these shows might be, and no matter how much comaraderie is going on, the bottom line is that they want to sell something to somebody else.

Its up to them if they want to charge for it. I am not saying they shouldn't. All I am saying is that I know one hell of a lot of folks that aren't going to pay somebody elses rent in order to be sold something, and that includes me.

No problem. Have a good time at the shows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22WRF

That's what I'm saying.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe that is what you are saying, but not what I meant.

What I meant was that if I were a knifemaker and I wanted to have comaradarie with a bunch of other knifemakers or if I wanted to sell my knives to the public I would expect to pay the expenses of those two activities, and not have my guests and potential customers pay.

I don't think I have ever charged anyone to be my guest at any party I have had.

And the way I look at it, If I turned off one person by charging him or her $5 to get in the door so I could sell them something, and that person would have purchased a knife or something else from me if they weren't turned off, then my paying the extra money for the expenses of the sale was well worth it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I look at it more like going to a car show. They charge you admission at the gate for the "Show". Same with the knifemakers, you're there to see the show. If you buy something that's great, but it's also an opportunity for the makers to showcase their stuff.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
what would be the reasons to showcase their stuff? Perhaps all for pride of workmanship and pride of craft, but I suggest the main reason would be to sell their stuff.

Like I said, no problem.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Same reason I build a custom car, for me it's not only about money, it's pride in my work.

Last edited by mtnman1; 03/14/12.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22WRF I think you misunderstand the concepts. Yes you do pay to go into a store to buy items in it . It is called overhead. It is built into the price of every item they sell in the store. In knife and gun show the promoter is not the owner of the merchandice being offered for sale. They are presenting an opportunity for people to see what is being offered and to help the knifemakers inside of the show. They hope to educate the public about new procedures and styles that is going on in the present time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I am old enough (60) to understand the concepts, and I have an undergraduate degree in accounting, so I understand overhead. I also understand promotion.

But I think that those being promoted should pay the promoter's tab, even if it eventually ends up in the knife price as an overhead cost.

But again, no problem. If other want to participate thats their business.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So who do you pay when you go to a sporting event, the contestents or the owner of the venue???

Personally I like the owner of the building to promote the crap out of a gun/knife show. He does this to make sure he makes a profit and it gets people there so the vendors have a chance to make a profit.

Guess I should start charging potential customers who visit me at work???---Now I will sell a bunch of knives.
When do you want to schedule a visit???? That will be $5 please.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hope bars and clubs learn that cover charges are costing them in the long run.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Those being promoted do pay in the form of table fees. I have paid table fees ranging from $50.00 t0 $100.00 at some of the Gun & Knife Shows, TO AS HIGH AS $400.00 AT SOME OF THE HIGHER END KNIFE SHOWS

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is a reason for everything, but it always boils down to money. Period. Free trade still involves money.
Those who only want to participate in entitlement style activities also see it as a money issue, just that it is owed to them.
To each his own. That is what the defenders of our freedoms gave to us all.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,598 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.