Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Is it too early to ask?

I'm just wondering how the winter was on the elk herd, specifically between Meeker and Craig?

We hunt in a range from 7500 to 9000 ft normally.

Something clever here.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Elk didn't even make it to some of the lower country below Craig this year...I think they all died. wink

There just hasn't been that much snow this year. The snow pack is 70 to 80% of normal. Pretty mild winter all-in-all. So, unless we get a 6' dump between now and June, I think you're safe.

Steve

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I guess I mostly wanted to start a real elk topic in the elk hunting section. grin

That's good news, we saw quite a decline in numbers the last time we hunted that area. First rifle season.

Mild winter sounds like a good thing.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is for sure.

I haven't looked to see where the elk migrated to now. I just know that they didn't go where I usually see big herds this year. I just don't think there was enough snow to drive them down that far.

Steve

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pretty much agree with Steve.Not a lot of bad weather. Snow almost nonexistent on the front range.We got a dump of 22" a few weeks ago, one time.Other than that it's zip and mostly gone.
Duirng Feb. the mountains did have some good snow falls,but as a comparison,last year, ski areas were boasting 120-150" base.Right now it is 50-60". Steamboat Springs got a bunch.

I have not heard anything from DOW, but they never find out until a year later it seems when thier computer tells them about it.

I'd be real surpried if there is any signifiacnt winter kill, even in localized areas.

I hav enot beeno ut and about though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Winter kill affect deer more than elk. Elk are pretty tough.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 03/12/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snowpack is 80% to 90% in the major basins.
That percentage is expected to drop a lot with the coming week with high temps predicted.
This time of year it can come back just as fast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AP
DENVER�Forecasters say February snowstorms helped increase snowpack in Colorado, but not enough to solve the state's water problems.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture reported Tuesday that statewide snowpack increased to 81 percent of average, up 9 percentage points from the 72 percent of average recorded on Feb. 1.

Forecasters say despite these gains, this year's snowpack continues to lag well behind last year's totals.

The South Platte basin is in the best shape with a snowpack that's 89 percent of average. The Yampa/White basin is the lowest at 74 percent.

All major basins in Colorado are expected to have below average runoff conditions this spring and summer. However, reservoir storage is above average in most of the state and that's expected to ease any late-summer shortages.

Read more: Colorado snowpack up, but not enough - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20112542/colorado-snowpack-up-but-not-enough#ixzz1owioIXKg
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We still have a little time to get some more snow.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes we do, but I think the bulk of the winter kill threat is behind us. Now we need spring moisture for rack growth.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I was thinking of the needed water.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No winter kill here in SW Colorado. It's been a mild winter, some snow, no real cold temps. Elk came thru just fine.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I live at 10,000 feet here in the high country, and I have seen Elk through out this whole winter up here.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
The only thing that kills an elk is a bullet... if it were deer or antelope it would be a different story

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wyotradhunter
The only thing that kills an elk is a bullet... if it were deer or antelope it would be a different story

Exactly.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Elk didn't even make it to some of the lower country below Craig this year...I think they all died. wink

There just hasn't been that much snow this year. The snow pack is 70 to 80% of normal. Pretty mild winter all-in-all. So, unless we get a 6' dump between now and June, I think you're safe.

That is good to hear as we'll likely be putting in for Unit 4 again.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope we get some more snow or water might get a little short fast this year.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

I should say in Colorado the only thing that kills an elk is a bullet.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

I should say in Colorado the only thing that kills an elk is a bullet.

grin

Right, cause I can think of some dog shaped creatures that would make it a playful hobby if you had them there.

You don't want that.

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.