H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
7x57:

[Linked Image]

Note the piebald peppering:

[Linked Image]

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lovin' it! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My EDC, and has been for many years.

[Linked Image]

Colt's Lightweight Commander .45 ACP; Kramer Pro-Line horsehide holster; McCormick 8 round mags; Milt Sparks mag pouch.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No need to have a 'dirty gun'! Guns are on battleships BTW!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This one is only a couple years old and still in the break-in phase.

Month ago.
[Linked Image]

This one is about 15 years old and is pretty much broke in.

Today, fencing/truck gun.
[Linked Image]

And of course it doubles as a horse gun.

Few years ago.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are some lovely guns, ladies. grin

Here's a real working gun. Bought used off a competitive trapshooter more than 30 years ago. I shot a little trap with it and used if for several years with the original 30" Full. Even killed my first deer with it using that barrel. Carried it in the rain, dropped it out of a tree once, it's seen a hard life. It was my Do-All for many years. It has easily passed 2 tons of lead through it's muzzle.
My favorite part of it is the stock. The original owner used shims to adjust the drop, which turned out not to be such a good idea as the stock has chipped because of it. But the fat stock is very comfortable to shoot. Sabot slugs off a bench are no problem with it. The weight is about perfect, coming in around 10lbs scoped for deer.

[Linked Image]

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 1933, Earl Ozel Osbon was a homeless waif of 11, living in filthy squalor in a barn on a ramshackle ranch a few miles southeast of Lander Wyoming. My parents, who were childless at the time, paid the rancher $50.00, took the boy from the ranch and informally adopted him as their own. The family soon found employment at Torrey Lake Ranch, near Dubois, where they lived until 1942.

After being homeschooled to an 8th grade level, Earl spent his teenage years working as a cowboy on several Dubois area ranches. In 1940, he enlisted in the Navy and spent all of World War II in the Pacific Theatre. A career Navy man, he also served throughout the Korean conflict. He died tragically in 1956 while still serving his country.

After a summers work on the Double Diamond ranch near Dubois, Earl accepted this rifle as partial payment of wages. He made the scabbard himself and carried the rifle on his saddle for the remainder of his years as a cowboy. When Earl enlisted in the Navy, he left the rifle with his foster father , who then passed it to me, his son . I used the rifle for hunting occasionally, the last time in 2009, harvesting a bull moose only a mile or so from the old Double Diamond ranch. I also shot it quite a bit in Metallic Silhouette.

The rifle is an 1886 Winchester, caliber .33 WCF, made in 1907 and shows the scars of years in the saddle and in hunting camps.

Last Summer, my wife and I donated the rifle, the scabbard and a pair of Earls spurs to the Lander Pioneer Museum. The Museum was very happy to receive the items, and made them a central part of their cowboy memorabilia. There was a nice article in the local paper about the donation, which brought about a truely astonishing event .

Soon after the article was published, I received a call from an elderly lady who told me she had known Earl and wanted me to come over, which I did. It turned out that she, Marie, had been Earls first love, his girlfriend all during his cowboy days in Dubois. He had proposed during the war, but she had turned him down, something she said she had regretted over the years. She gave me some pictures taken of him and his group of friends back in the 1930's and when he was home on leave in 1942. Marie is now my only link to my beloved foster brother, I left her home with tears in my eyes. These are the things that can only happen in small town America.

Here are some pix of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
..the ones I mean that show they've been afield,had many a hunt under their belts with worn bluing/dings which gives them character..not the purdy ones that spend their entire lives in a safe and get polished like a new car. smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...a/ASHandLNHDec2009SnowandDuckPics050.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...a/ASHandLNHDec2009SnowandDuckPics003.jpg[/img]

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by T LEE
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So, you ever going to get started breaking it in, or what?

shocked grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's too purty... wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
In 1933, Earl Ozel Osbon was a homeless waif of 11, living in filthy squalor in a barn on a ramshackle ranch a few miles southeast of Lander Wyoming. My parents, who were childless at the time, paid the rancher $50.00, took the boy from the ranch and informally adopted him as their own. The family soon found employment at Torrey Lake Ranch, near Dubois, where they lived until 1942.

After being homeschooled to an 8th grade level, Earl spent his teenage years working as a cowboy on several Dubois area ranches. In 1940, he enlisted in the Navy and spent all of World War II in the Pacific Theatre. A career Navy man, he also served throughout the Korean conflict. He died tragically in 1956 while still serving his country.

After a summers work on the Double Diamond ranch near Dubois, Earl accepted this rifle as partial payment of wages. He made the scabbard himself and carried the rifle on his saddle for the remainder of his years as a cowboy. When Earl enlisted in the Navy, he left the rifle with his foster father , who then passed it to me, his son . I used the rifle for hunting occasionally, the last time in 2009, harvesting a bull moose only a mile or so from the old Double Diamond ranch. I also shot it quite a bit in Metallic Silhouette.

The rifle is an 1886 Winchester, caliber .33 WCF, made in 1907 and shows the scars of years in the saddle and in hunting camps.

Last Summer, my wife and I donated the rifle, the scabbard and a pair of Earls spurs to the Lander Pioneer Museum. The Museum was very happy to receive the items, and made them a central part of their cowboy memorabilia. There was a nice article in the local paper about the donation, which brought about a truely astonishing event .

Soon after the article was published, I received a call from an elderly lady who told me she had known Earl and wanted me to come over, which I did. It turned out that she, Marie, had been Earls first love, his girlfriend all during his cowboy days in Dubois. He had proposed during the war, but she had turned him down, something she said she had regretted over the years. She gave me some pictures taken of him and his group of friends back in the 1930's and when he was home on leave in 1942. Marie is now my only link to my beloved foster brother, I left her home with tears in my eyes. These are the things that can only happen in small town America.

Here are some pix of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

jeez,.....just had to post this song.
What a "One hell of a story" you just laid down

Thanks ,

GTC

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/13/12.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
jnyork, wow what a story. Thanks for sharing it. GRF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Washington State Patrol Model 12

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 03/13/12.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great story and a beautiful old treasure you have there! wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My M700 .270win. gets used a lot when I don't want to tear up my nicer pieces. It spends a lot of time on the atv gun rack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dads Marlin .30-30 has some character marks too.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought this 760 new in '77. It's been used in rain for a week, snow, and sleet. High Brass owns it now. That's his buck.
[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.