Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two Streamlight Jr LED lights and they're bright and slightly larger than a Minimag 2 AA battery size flashlight. They run $30-$40.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by eh76

Have you noticed the difference in quality and construction in Maglites from the 1980's and the ones sold now? My old 1980 model would suffice as a club ans be no worse for wear. The newer ones not so much.
I think I've got a 3 D and a 2 C.

Wall thickness on the tube is half what it used to be. I gave my mini mags to the neighbor kids to play with. No use for something that won't work 100% of the time. Rather spend $35 on a Surefire G2 Nitrolon that does than $10 on one that doesn't.

Gee does Maglite make a weapon light? wink
You ought to try the flashlight on that link I gave Randy. You're not gaining anything on the Nitrolen because they're made in China anyway. I haven't seen them around here for $35 for a long, long time. More like $65. I gave my Nitrolen to a buddy several years ago. Do a search for Cree or Fenix on Amazon or Ebay and you'll come up with all sorts of cool flashlights.

Got plenty.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Got some cheap ones...got some expensive ones...why? Because I want them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do think the LED Maglites are a step up, and given their battery life, I have little desire to look further.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by okok
I have 5 Surefires, best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, they are. The Streamlights are good also.

we don't agree on much often, so when we do, it might be a clue for the rest of you fellers!

you can get a G2 Surefire for around $35 bucks or so, it's the nylon body which I prefer over the aluminum as sometimes if I'm doing repairs in the dark and it's the light I have to use I don't want a metal aluminum body to hold between my teeth or in a headband against my head in our temps we have up here. Also have a Streamlight that's metal but the barrel is housed in rubber so i can use it the same way.

They both are superior lights with a brightness that I find I can't match with lesser lights.

if you guys know of cheaper lights that have similar lumen output I'm all ears (or eyes in this case I reckon)

flashlights are a tool, I try and use a tool for the appropriate task at hand, I've got cheap flashlights I use all the time around the house or at the cabin

just like I have firearms of differing quality, some I'd bet my life on, some are just to make my life more fun.

the surefires and streamlights I own are used otherwise, but are mainly for air travel. If the lights go out in an emergency situation on a plane I want light I can count on.

Plus due to the ever encroaching travel restrictions, I can't even carry a pocket knife, pity that.

but I can carry a flashlight, and a good one can be a useful defensive tool.

if I'm confronted by someone that poses physical harm to me or my family, most likely they're armed with something more than a flashlight.

I've yet to see the guy that when I shine one of those lights in their eyes, that they don't blink or avert their gaze. It only takes a second, but a second is all I need to try and drive his adam's apple out the back of his throat.

If I can accomplish that, bad odds just shifted slightly in my favor.

I'm willing to spend $35-100 for that advantage, just like on a true defensive firearm, I don't care as much about price as I do quality and am willing to pay for it.

but I've long been a proponent of "buy what makes you happy"

tis what I do, and I don't really care if what I buy makes anyone else happy or not.
Dude...

cree

glad you got a good one CY, but when you read the reviews quality seems spotty.

I'll be glad to purchase one for non emergency situations, but when I'm counting on one, I don't mind paying a bit more to get the reliability that often comes with a higher price tag.

the other thing I forgot to mention about the Surefires, if you're depressing the button while in your pocket, you'll realize it pretty soon, it puts out some heat vs. most led lights, I like that feature personally.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 340boy
Most of the very bright flashlights and headlamps do have some utility for search and rescue, mountain biking, climbing, etc.
I have a little German made light(Lupine) that puts out 500 lumens and is the size of a couple books of matches.
VERY bright, and the battery seems to last forever.

Paid around $300 for it-worth every penny, IME.

I have a small, high-ish end unit. Called the Aviator, not sure if it's a Surefire or not. What I do know is that in the couple years I've had it, has not let me down. Can you buy a 20 dollar job that'll shine plenty of light on a basement wall, or on an engine to be looked at? Absolutely.

But, take that same unit, turn it on, and be in a flooded, frozen marsh in the pitch blackness of pre-dawn on a duck hunt. Drop that sucker in the drink, and watch it go through the slushy, salty water and down a couple feet into the muck.
Does it still work? If so, can you put it in your pack, and just before dark later that day, spend an hour at full power scouring the phragmites and marsh grass for a duck that sailed across a creek, and have it bright enough to actually assist you in finding that hidden bird?

Show me one like that for short money, one you feel you can count on to work *every* time (assuming battery life isn't a problem), and I'll buy a pile of them.

In fairness, I never saw the economy of them until I found one I truly can depend on. Hate to be in a jam, say, on a sinking boat with no power, at night, desperately looking to get survival gear on, look for stuff that could save my life, and be unable to see because my crappy light rolled into the water, now rising on deck, and immediately died...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bought a few G2 Surefire's a number of years ago for <$30 a pop and have never needed anything more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman
I have a couple of Surefire look alike's that work great. At the moment, cannot afford a C note for a flashlight, but as was mentioned, the $30-40.00 ones are pretty darned good these days.

Try a Maglite.... crap... I'm pretty sure it's the XL200. Crazy bright, solid, runs on 3 AAA's, and well under fifty bucks.

I like the old-school maglites, too, and own a bunch of them... but a) if a battery ever corrodes badly in them you are screwed pretty much and b) the good new LED flashlights are smaller, brighter, and much cheaper to run. I use a flashlight a lot. Feeding a Maglite D-cells is bad "light mileage"! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by 340boy
Most of the very bright flashlights and headlamps do have some utility for search and rescue, mountain biking, climbing, etc.
I have a little German made light(Lupine) that puts out 500 lumens and is the size of a couple books of matches.
VERY bright, and the battery seems to last forever.

Paid around $300 for it-worth every penny, IME.

I have a small, high-ish end unit. Called the Aviator, not sure if it's a Surefire or not. What I do know is that in the couple years I've had it, has not let me down. Can you buy a 20 dollar job that'll shine plenty of light on a basement wall, or on an engine to be looked at? Absolutely.

But, take that same unit, turn it on, and be in a flooded, frozen marsh in the pitch blackness of pre-dawn on a duck hunt. Drop that sucker in the drink, and watch it go through the slushy, salty water and down a couple feet into the muck.
Does it still work? If so, can you put it in your pack, and just before dark later that day, spend an hour at full power scouring the phragmites and marsh grass for a duck that sailed across a creek, and have it bright enough to actually assist you in finding that hidden bird?

Show me one like that for short money, one you feel you can count on to work *every* time (assuming battery life isn't a problem), and I'll buy a pile of them.

In fairness, I never saw the economy of them until I found one I truly can depend on. Hate to be in a jam, say, on a sinking boat with no power, at night, desperately looking to get survival gear on, look for stuff that could save my life, and be unable to see because my crappy light rolled into the water, now rising on deck, and immediately died...
This isn't all to you, but if you don't mind...

I'd rather have two of the Element or Rocky flashlights I was talking about, than one Surefire. Without looking, I'm pretty sure the "Aviator" is a Surefire model. I've got three flashlights that are effed right now. One is an older Element, one is some POS that the folks gave my daughter and the last is the Surefire Outdoorsman (about the same thing as an Executive Elite). They will all quit you, no matter the brand. Probably the old Maglight C and D cells are the best on that score, but you just give up too much in brightness unless you have something upgraded by Black Bear and then it's no longer really a Maglight.

While we're on Maglights...I've had probably close to a dozen AA's over the years. They were good, solid little lights within their parameters. They got passed a long time ago. The LED kits to upgrade them, whether from Maglight themselves or Nite Eyz, suck. The Maglights that are LED from the factory, don't suck quite as hard, but there is still definite suckage.

As to the Streamlights...I know a lot of guys who like them. Maybe some are still made here, but I don't know of any. Their biggest advantage was when they were made here. I've got two or three. If they're not effed up, the batteries are dead. You don't have to worry about the batteries if they're effed up though. In Kamo Gari's scenario, I wouldn't have a Streamlight at all.

Again, the Sam's Elements or Rockies are decent for the money lights that are bright, take common, cheap batteries and are available right now in stores that just about anybody can access. The technology is nearly constantly upgraded and is just below that of the Fenix and Cree type lights I mentioned.

IMO the latter are the best going right now. The drawback is having to buy them mail-order usually or having to pay more for them if some store has them. I don't know of any chains carrying them. The brightness and features are there and so it the value. Take your pick between easily obtained batteries or weird, long-lasting rechargeables. Some will run on CR1-2-3a's OR AAA's.

Brinkman's, Dorcey's, etc. I won't say I've had 'em all, but I've had most of them. Most of the technology comes from these other flashlights. Some are okay and some aren't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take back part of what I said about Maglights. I did right after Christmas, buy a barrel-shaped Maglight that takes three AAA's at Home Depot or Lowe's. It's LED and seems okay. It is bigger than the old Mini Maglights, a bit smaller than a Nitrolen. IIRC, it is made in USA. It is more expensive than the Sam's lights and probably less bright, but it seemed adequately bright and hasn't quit yet. Seems a lot more positive going on and off than the Mini Maglight LED's. It's in my gun bag right now I think.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MckinneyMike
To me, the same question can be asked about $400 hunting knives and $2000 rifle scopes etc. The simple answer is there's a market for them. Lots of folks with the coin simply want the best and think that's what they are buying sometimes they are and sometimes they are wasting money. That said, it's sure nice having more choices than fewer.

This^. The law of diminishing returns very much applies to lights. I would add that some people stake their lives on lights every day/night. You must also calculate the cost of batteries. A $20 light that eats $8 batteries may be just the ticket for an occassional user, but a bad choice for somebody who goes through a couple of charges 5 days a week.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you doing up Pat.

How did your hog light work?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Working an Army contract job (6-2). The light is good, DocRocket was quite taken with it.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much sleep I guess for you. Five hours will do.

I bought one last year, works good in the night for the hogs and other things.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1minute
I do think the LED Maglites are a step up, and given their battery life, I have little desire to look further.
I was amazed by the improvement when I switched out the old Maglite bulb for the new LED one. Like night and day.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
.... so one can store Expensive dead batteries!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Try a Maglite.... crap... I'm pretty sure it's the XL200. Crazy bright, solid, runs on 3 AAA's, and well under fifty bucks.

You can get one off Amazon for around $35.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...=1330783111&sr=8-1&condition=new

People might want to pay attention to the different Maglite models. Even within the LED class. Big difference between a 40 - 50 Lumen model and the 174 lumens of the XL200 or the 245 lumens of the Maglite Pro Plus. Nice thing about the XL200 is the size. Don't get fooled by the maglite packaging that shows distance. That doesn't equate to lumens

I buy some higher end flashlghts but there's something to be said about maglites. A cople years back, I lost a mini mag when hunting and found it the following year. Thought it would be useless but hit the switch and it lit right up. Even after sitting in snow and rain for 10 months.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A flashlight you Surefire fans should consider is the Surefire Fury. 500 lumens and it's dropped way down in price to $108. Uses a polycarbonate lens rather than glass so it can scratch but it's a great thrower(don't own one, just read reviews).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._BK_Fury_Ultra_High_Dual_Output_LED.html

Here's a discussion over at the candlepower forums on it.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...B-quot-Fury-quot-500lu-flashlight-thread

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What am I missing?

A Mercedes SUV; a Weatherby; A Krieghoff and a coupla pairs of $500 boots? ;O)

I have several "high tech" lights. None cost more than $25, all work just fine.

My favorite for general duty, is the Task Force from Lowe's that cost me about $8. 9 LEDs, takes 3 AAAs and is still on the first set of batteries. Lives in the door pocket of my truck, gets used fairly often. Also have a fairly new Mini Maglite LED, if I need to spot coons in tree tops.

Don't own a light that requires "special" batteries. Most all of my junk takes AAs, which is why there's always a magna-pack of 'em in the truck. "Walkie-Talkies", rangefinder, lights, AM/FM/Weather radio, digital cameras, etc. Now that I have some LED lights that require AAAs, got plenty of them, too.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find the real Maglite LED swaps to be excellent. The lower priced clone systems are complete crap.

1Minute
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.