Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by okok
I'm not saying the cop should be charged with a crime, but I would be ok with termination.

He did his job the way it was supposed to be done in that department. Should you be fired for doing your job the way it is written for you?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DINK
I'm not saying the cop should be charged with a crime, but I would be ok with termination.

Why? He done his job.

She died as a direct result of her own actions. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Dink

I don't agree with DINK with much, but I do here.

Camp is where you make it.
okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Question for LEO: What is the protocol for handcuffing? Is it discretionary between being cuffed in the front or back?

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Question for LEO: What is the protocol for handcuffing? Is it discretionary between being cuffed in the front or back?

I think it depends on the agency and the officer. I have very short stubby arms. To handcuff me behind my back might require dislocating one or both shoulders. I've asked officers in my local what the protocol is for someone like me and most have said they would use two cuffs so as to not to have to dislocate my shoulders. That having been said there are some officers would enjoy the opportunity to hurt someone by doing just that.

So again agency protocol and officer attitude would have a lot to do with how a person is handcuffed.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only rule I would like to see adopted across the boards for the use of Tazers is that they become merely an alternate to deadly force where otherwise, deadly force would be authorized. That's it. They wouldn't be used to gain compliance or anything like that.

How would that apply? If in this instance you would think it excessive for the cop to pull out his pistol and shoot the non-violent offender who was already handcuffed and running away, then the use of a TAZER would be excessive as well.

Sticking to that rule, training it rigorously, and punishing severely when it was violated would make TAZERS a very welcomed and useful tool that might save a crazy old dude with a pocketknife from getting shot instead of being used as a tool to force compliance as it is many instances nowadays.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The agency and arrest control training dictates cuffing location. Most cuff in the back, but some agencies will cuff in front, especially for kids and women. Our agency requires behind the back on everyone except known pregnant females. If the arrestee has problems being cuffed due to body makeup or injuries we hook two sets of cuffs together and cuff behind the back.

Average gear wieght with vest is in the 25-35 pound range. My gear wieghs in at 33 pounds with the vest. The vest itself is 11 pounds for a level 2 with stab protection.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's one of the gd stupidest posts I've seen on a thread full of bullschit posts. If it's a deadly force situation, why the [bleep] would you pull a taser?

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
The only rule I would like to see adopted across the boards for the use of Tazers is that they become merely an alternate to deadly force where otherwise, deadly force would be authorized. That's it. They wouldn't be used to gain compliance or anything like that.

How would that apply? If in this instance you would think it excessive for the cop to pull out his pistol and shoot the non-violent offender who was already handcuffed and running away, then the use of a TAZER would be excessive as well.

Sticking to that rule, training it rigorously, and punishing severely when it was violated would make TAZERS a very welcomed and useful tool that might save a crazy old dude with a pocketknife from getting shot instead of being used as a tool to force compliance as it is many instances nowadays.

I agree. The tazer should never be used to force compliance in a free society only as substitute for a firearm. If it's legal to use a firearm it's legal to use a tazer.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
The agency and arrest control training dictates cuffing location. Most cuff in the back, but some agencies will cuff in front, especially for kids and women. Our agency requires behind the back on everyone except known pregnant females. If the arrestee has problems being cuffed due to body makeup or injuries we hook two sets of cuffs together and cuff behind the back.

Average gear wieght with vest is in the 25-35 pound range. My gear wieghs in at 33 pounds with the vest. The vest itself is 11 pounds for a level 2 with stab protection.

Thanks for the info. Still to dang much weight in my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
That's one of the gd stupidest posts I've seen on a thread full of bullschit posts. If it's a deadly force situation, why the [bleep] would you pull a taser?

Because normal non morally depraved humans might like an alternative to having to shoot someone. I can see why you wouldn't understand.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

I think it depends on the agency and the officer. I have very short stubby arms. To handcuff me behind my back might require dislocating one or both shoulders. I've asked officers in my local what the protocol is for someone like me and most have said they would use two cuffs so as to not to have to dislocate my shoulders. That having been said there are some officers would enjoy the opportunity to hurt someone by doing just that.

So again agency protocol and officer attitude would have a lot to do with how a person is handcuffed.

Do the LEO's on here tell you how to scam people in your Tax Accounting? Why is it that someone who's never done the job in their entire life comes on here and makes statements to something they have zero firsthand experience in.

In my experience it's John Q. Public's attitude, not the LEO's attitude as to how they're cuffed.

I've cuffed people in front, i've cuffed people in front along with a waistchain. I've used two sets of cuffs, cuffed in the back. I've even used leg irons on people, all based on my experience & knowledge of the person involved. I cuff 99% with hands behind them, backs of your hands together, thumbs up.

That along with my internal friend who goes out on the street with me every night and says, you probably need to put leg irons on this chump, because he'll run the first chance he gets.

I saw the results of an old S.O employee in a neighboring county who had lost his street survival savvy. The fellow was in his late 60's, they had made him a Transport Deputy, which means he transported prisoners from jail to court, Med. Appts. other jails etc. In this case he was transporting a juvenile to a juvenile facility.

The Deputy's heavy flashlight had for some how got into the back seat. The Deputy handcuffed the juvenile in the front. Long story short, the kid got the light, when the Deputy let the kid out the back the kid attacked the Deputy knocking him out and continued to beat him in the head. The kid was trying to get the Deputy's gun when he was taken into custody by juvenile detention personnel. The Deputy spent months in the hosp. recovering.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The cops here at the Fire will be quick to insist that that little girl, in the days before Tasers, would instead have been beaten in the head with a billy club. Of course that's a lie, but that's what they reflexively insist whenever this topic comes up. The reality is that the cop would have reached out and grabbed her to prevent her escape, rather than reaching for the Taser. Tasers are more fun than just doing what any normal cop in the old days would have done under similar circumstances, so that's what's used.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ironbender
Our policy just changed that we can longer use a taser for runners.

Dink

As a result of this incident?

It was changed because our insurance company wanted it changed.

Dink

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
She should not be held accountable for her actions in any way, shape or form. I am sure she did not know that dope was bad for her or that crashing into vehicles and leaving the scene was illegal. I mean she did not even know running from the cops was something she should not do. Not her fault at all.

The police were already being mean to her by handcuffing her in the front.

Just another poor misunderstood soul that fell victim to the police.

Dink

Who here has remotely argued any of that ??

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Per policy we are always supposed to handcuff behind the back. But we do not catch any chit for cuffing in the front. Sometimes it's just easier to cuff in the front and try to get along with the suspect.

Dink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dan360
Monday morning quarterbacks out in full force I see. If he had caught up to her and taken her to the ground, which is perfectly within any use of force module for an egressive subject, you'd all say he was a big bully knocking down a little girl.
BS. A casual grab of her arm would have stopped her in her tracks. No need for any sort of take down.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Dink, would you have tased her if that was you?

Hell Dink would have tazed her, shot her, and kicked the crap out of her for good measure.

Yawn. Just because you could not cut it being a cop don't be jealous of those of us that can.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Dan360
Monday morning quarterbacks out in full force I see. If he had caught up to her and taken her to the ground, which is perfectly within any use of force module for an egressive subject, you'd all say he was a big bully knocking down a little girl.
BS. A casual grab of her arm would have stopped her in her tracks. No need for any sort of take down.

This is not like when your "special" friend grabs your arm when your throwing a hissy fit.

If you grab her she is going to the ground for sure and I would bet he is also.

Dink

okok Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think Dink would do any of that Derby dude. .02

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Loose loose for the cop, tackle her, or man handle her to stop her running away and you're a big bad cop beating up on the little girl. Tase her and you get what happened.

Me personally I don't like tasers for the off chance that someone out of the norm physically gets killed, similar to what Calhoun mentioned about his son. There are plenty of cases of that already.

Good reminder, don't do stupid stuff like run from the police.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.