Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Guess they are going to clone a wooly mammoth here shortly. That's pretty cool.

Can you imagine having to care for it? No one has much of an idea of their diet except for samples that were found indicating alpine type forage in their mouths and undigested in the stomachs.

I cannot imagine the clamor if it were to die as a calf though?

It would seem not-impossible that there could be very large reptile holdovers into the human era, at least enough so that they'd enter the mythology.

There is evidence that seems to support that. Some of the petroglyphs could have been stories of stories, I suppose. I've seen some petroglyphs near Dinosaur Nat'l Monument that just make ya' stand there with your mouth open. Not sure what they were trying to convey. It seems too far north for peyote, but maybe the traded for the stuff.

I've been in sea-fossil beds at above 10,000 feet in New Mexico. That'd be some flood.

It's quite an eye opener. Check out these links.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/whale-fossils-found-driest-desert-earth-154935450.html

http://www.platetectonics.com/book/page_11.asp

From the last link...

"Fossilized Sea Shells near Himalayan Peaks?
When archaeologists found the fossilized remains of ancient sea-creatures near the peaks of the Himalayas they were, understandably, puzzled. Intriguing questions were raised. Was there once an ocean or other large body of water at the top of this enormous mountain range? Unlikely.

Had the entire planet, Himalayas and all, at some point in Earth�s long history, been submerged underwater? Possibly - but highly improbable. No theory could fully explain this apparent paradox. Until the theory of plate tectonics was put forth."

Could it have been the Genesis Flood...well??? Naahhh.

ICR folks have some articles regarding rapid upheaval and tectonic plates shifting much faster due to runaway subduction of the silicate layer that explains the Genesis Flood description. In the Biblical account, there was a lot of water trapped beneath the earth's surface. When that containment ruptured, the earth flooded rapidly as well as the rain from the firmament above, which may have been foreign to folks prior to the flood. The resulting volcanic activity emitting the particulates in the air that provided the condensation nuclei to cause the firmament above to collapse seems to make some sense to me anyway.

Feeding a mammoth... who knows! If they can get it past infancy it will tell them what it likes to eat. Hopefully modern intestinal fauna will work for it; they say there's an amazing level of symbiosis with our gut fauna- there's a good thread right there!- even to a genetic level.

Plus they can always clone up another one, right?

I don't think there's much question how or when the Sandia fossils I mentioned got there, so to speak. I've read about it, seen animations of what happened broadly speaking... Plate tectonics is cool stuff. So is the "moth and rust" that happens over long periods of time. I love reading about things like how entire huge mountain ranges have eroded away- like in Appalachia.

I suspect that there was a flood that inspired the tales in the Bible. I'm sure it seemed to them at the time that the whole world was flooding; for them, it was! It makes for powerful mythology.

But the whole world didn't flood 6000 years ago. Nope.

Really, the only time this stuff is worthy of "hot" debate is when a religion tries to assert it's influence to direct or influence public funding of... science stuff. Educational stuff. smile I don't mock people's irrational beliefs (well, maybe a little) and I reserve the right to my own damn irrational beliefs, thank you very much... <g>. But, religion has no business stifling the communication of truth, in the public sector, in favor of that religion's myths, no business at all. THAT'S where I get riled up. Whether evolution is exactly correct, or just mostly correct... it's a heck of a lot more correct than religion's (any religion) Creation Myths.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/15/12.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still find it amazing that with all the holes that the 1st and 2nd Laws of Thermodynamics poke in evolution, that people say it takes more faith to believe "an old guy in the sky" created the unfathomably complex reality we live in, versus "it just makes itself, eventually".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If evolution were true, 95% of the people I meet wouldn't exist.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swampman1

That's cause you're like a culture growing in a Petri Dish,....albeit to fast
crap,....you've crammed 40 years of BPCR shooting into 3 months.

We stand in [bleep]' AWE of a life form that evolves that quickly, swampy.

Sigourny Weaver,....wtf, over ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose there's math out there to support enough water to flood to above 10,000 feet in New Mexico?

Those areas were likely at the bottom of an ancient sea at one time, and 'pushed up' by geological forces at a later time.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Some 'smart people' never contemplate the possibility of what has actually happened.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
But, "ANY"religion has no business stifling the communication of "theories", in the public sector, in favor of that religion's myths, no business at all. THAT'S where I get riled up. Whether evolution is exactly correct, or just mostly correct... it's a heck of a lot more correct than religion's (any religion) Creation Myths.

I'm ok with that with my edits

You get incensed over a religion being foisted on you, yet are perfectly fine with your religion of secular humanistic religion of self-worship being rammed down our throats and all that being foisted on my kids under the guise of poor excuse for a public education system I pay to support. It's at that point that we speak up and then you and your folks have a fit manifesting the most hypocritical arguments in existence about Christians pushing their religion on you.

I suspect it's because the thought that there is a God just might rattle your inner being and the manifestation is seen in the form of vitriol toward anything that may upset the need for self-aggrandizement

Steve

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by antlers
I suppose there's math out there to support enough water to flood to above 10,000 feet in New Mexico?

Those areas were likely at the bottom of an ancient sea at one time, and 'pushed up' by geological forces at a later time.

In less than 6000 years?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Swampman1

If creation is true God deserves a smack up side the head for many of the people he's created .

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe a question that is just as valid is, why is there exposed land mass? If the earth was smoothed out like it should be if it was cooling down from a molten blob it would have a smoother surface than it presently does. With our present oceans the water would be two miles deep. God's Word mentions God pushed down the low places and raised up the high places.

But there's something else to think about. According to Ph.D. geologists the entire continents would be eroded into the ocean in fourteen million years. If you want to argue that the same geologists will tell us the same continents are rising are a rate to at least match the errosion rate, you are correct. This brings up a very fun point for the creationists.

If the continents are eroding, which includes the dirt and stones, why are there still fossil bearing strata? Why is there geostatic pressure that pushes oil out of a fresh well?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by antlers

In less than 6000 years?

Uh...........no!

Millions and millions of years ago.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The irony of the thread is that most of the individuals accepting the existence of evolution also accept the existence of God (or Goddess, depending on who's checking in...)

On the other hand, the Creationists reject even the notion of evolution in favor of literal application of ancient writings, translated into English, by the fallible hand of man, despite clear and abundant evidence that the timeline isn't possible.

Who's really close-minded and arrogant?

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by wswolf
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by wswolf
[quote=Ringman] A much more likely transition is from tree climbing- jumping from branch to branch- gliding from branch to branch and from tree to tree- flying. All gradual - no big changes all at once.[/i]

Well, the pre eminent paleoanthropologist of all time, Stephan Jay Gould, spent a lifetime examining all the schit you guys keep wiki-ing up, plus thousands of other examples, and he said it was impossible for it to have happened "gradually". So, I guess he was FOS, huh?

Perhaps I was not suficently clear "gradual" and "sudden" depend on the time scale being used. Change in a species has to be gradual because each generation can only be a slightly modified version of the previous generation. If a species stays relatively unchanged for 5,000,000 years and significantly changes over 500,000 years, then on that scale 500,000 years is relatively sudden.

Here is Gould, himself had to say in Punctuated Equilibria, Eldredge & Gould, 1972.
From the Statement: (3) The theory of allopatric (or geographic) speciation suggests a different interpretation of paleontological data. If new species arise very rapidly in small, peripherally isolated populations, then the great expectation of insensibly graded fossil sequences is a chimera. A new species does not evolve in the area of its ancestors; it does not arise from the slow transformation of all its forbears. Many breaks in the fossil record are real.
(4) The history of life is more adequately represented by a picture of �punctuated equilibria� than by the notion of phyletic gradualism. The history of evolution is not one of stately unfolding, but a story of homeostatic equilibria, disturbed only �rarely� (i.e., rather often in the fullness of time) by rapid and episodic events of speciation.
From the final paragraph: The norm for a species or, by extension, a community is stability. Speciation is a rare and difficult event that punctuates a system in homeostatic equilibrium. That so uncommon and event should have produced such a wondrous array of living and fossil forms can only give strength to an old idea: paleontology deals with a phenomenon that belongs to it alone among the evolutionary sciences and that enlightens all its conclusions�time.

Eldredge and Gould were definitely not FOS but their ideas were quite controversial. Gould is a popular target for the common and dishonest practice of "quote mining". If I saw a quote by Gould, or any other prominent scientist, I would not pass it on before looking entire quote to confirm that it was not taken out of context to say something other than what its author meant to say. If you would care to read the whole thing, Punctuated Equilibria is easy to find on the net.

Dude, you read that silly schit and think it's profound? When this new critter pops on the scene, with all this new DNA, who and what is he gonna slap on the ass and say "who's yo Daddy" with? A she-critter would have to suddenly arise, at nearly the same moment in time, and she'd have to be ready to do the nasty, and we all know how problematic that can be.

ANYONE who's studied any REAL biology knows, that when you are dealing with populations that have shrunk to one mating pair, they are already extinct in a practical sense, the games over for them.

Also, instead of studying marx at his father's knee, dear old daddy Gould should have taken his ass to a mule farm, so he wouldn't be stupid enough to concoct silly schit like this.

You brought up Gould to support your position.
I quoted from Eldredge & Gould's original paper to show that he did not support your positon.
Gould instantly becomes "silly schit".
You criticize me for thinking him "profound" when I said nothing of the sort.

When this new critter pops on the scene, with all this new DNA...

That is creation and is not predicted or even allowed by evolution. Evolution is a change in gene frequency in a population over time. Populations evolve not individuals. Under natural conditions no individual can ever give birth to another species.

A she-critter would have to suddenly arise, at nearly the same moment in time...

If you are in the creation business it makes some sense to create a pair of new critters if they are expected to reproduce.

ANYONE who's studied any REAL biology knows, that when you are dealing with populations that have shrunk to one mating pair, they are already extinct in a practical sense, the games over for them.

Absolutely correct. I did't want to bring Noah into this but ...

You seem to be arguing against creationism now.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

[quote]

The story about the great flood has always been a question in my simple mind. The world only has so much water. It�s either found as a gas-vapor, as above ground liquid, below ground liquid or as ice. It is a finite amount. When you look at the story of the Great Flood one has to ask where did the extra water come from and where did it go after the flood? To evaporate that amount of water would take a huge amount of energy and where did tat come from? Where did Noah put all of the fish that he was tasked to put away in pairs of 2 and the amount of food needed upon the Arc would have been huge as well?

It is a great story that was thought up to teach a moral and as children we need stories and morals. Very little fact here guys.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What? You don�t believe that koala bears swam across the ocean from Australia to the Middle East carrying a supply of eucalyptus leaves sufficient for the round trip so they could get on the ark and avoid drowning? Heathen!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Well.........no

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
but under with plate tectonics, the koalas didn't have to go very far, since Australia was actually right next to ... wait. Does creationism accept the concept of plate tectonics?

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Flyfast
The irony of the thread is that most of the individuals accepting the existence of evolution also accept the existence of God (or Goddess, depending on who's checking in...)

On the other hand, the Creationists reject even the notion of evolution in favor of literal application of ancient writings, translated into English, by the fallible hand of man, despite clear and abundant evidence that the timeline isn't possible.

Who's really close-minded and arrogant?

Stop tellin' the truth!
And while you're at it.....stop makin' sense!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You guys are going to make the Creationist mad now!

God said it so I believe it. End of Story! Never question your preacher, unless he is banging your wife, daughter or son.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
RE Plate Tectonics
Apparently not:

Ringman -
�Maybe a question that is just as valid is, why is there exposed land mass? If the earth was smoothed out like it should be if it was cooling down from a molten blob it would have a smoother surface than it presently does. With our present oceans the water would be two miles deep. God's Word mentions God pushed down the low places and raised up the high places.�

Last edited by billhilly; 03/16/12.
Page 11 of 33 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,582
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.