Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

As for the Buffalo Bore loads you mention, Johan did not have any on hand to test, but he told me he has tested them.

As posted previously.

Don't presume that just because a bullet is going fast it's going to perform well. Bullet construction (whether JHP or lead alloy) is a major factor in bullet performance. Bullets are designed to work within certain specific velocity parameters, and outside of those limits performance degrades sharply.

LATE EDIT: Just reviewed my notes from after the seminar and I was mistaken. Buffalo Bore was NOT specifically mentioned. I apologize for any misleading suggestion I made. We discussed a LOT of specific loads and calibers, mostly off the record. I should have reviewed my notes before making the comment I made earlier.

FWIW, every Buffalo Bore load I've used has been stout, and I have no reason personally or professionally to malign their 380 load. I've talked with some 24HCF members who like it, but as I'm not a 380 man, I'm not in a position to comment on that one way or another.

Again, I apologize for my error.

Last edited by DocRocket; 03/16/12.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd probably offer $50 a piece for all those worthless .380 LCP's ya'll need to rid yourself of before somebody gets hurt. Just send me a PM and I'll give you an email address to send pics and details. Might as well throw in those Sig P238's, Kahrs, S&W Bodyguards, etc.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Johan did talk about the Speer 135 gr +P GDHP, which was developed specifically for use in short-barreled 38's like the 442 and Colt DS. He said it performs virtually identically to the 9mm GDHP bullets he demo'd in 9mm and 40 S&W, i.e., 12" penetration in clothed gelatin, reliable expansion, and good barrier-penetration capability.

The 135 +P GDHP is what I have been carrying in my 442 & 340PD for the last 3 years or so...........my wife usually carries the 340.

Haven't shot anyone with it yet though laugh

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
interesting report, Doc. of course, nutria don't wear down jackets or anything, but a fat one is probably eight inches thick and .380 silvertips make a big ugly hole in the back side.

I don't think many perps would want to continue the discussion after receiving one in the chest, but quien sabe?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only .380 I carry, although rarely, is a Browning BDA just because I really like it. I load it with 12 rounds of FMJ. Sue me. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Johan did talk about the Speer 135 gr +P GDHP, which was developed specifically for use in short-barreled 38's like the 442 and Colt DS. He said it performs virtually identically to the 9mm GDHP bullets he demo'd in 9mm and 40 S&W, i.e., 12" penetration in clothed gelatin, reliable expansion, and good barrier-penetration capability.

The 135 +P GDHP is what I have been carrying in my 442 & 340PD for the last 3 years or so...........my wife usually carries the 340.

Haven't shot anyone with it yet though laugh

MM
That or the Corbon DPX for me. The DPX is expensive so I don't use it in my 9mm but the 340 is my American Express Gun (never leave home without it) so I splurge on it.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
You make a good point, Steve.

Most of the self-defense shootings info (non-LEO) I've been able to get my hands on shows that hitting the perp with one shot in the head or torso usually ends the encounter, irrespective of caliber or shot placement. But in those cases where the bad guy reallyreallyreally wants to keep on keepin' on, which are not uncommon, am I going to be satisfied with what "usually" works?

Solid high chest hits are almost invariably fatal and end the fight then and there. Usually. But one cop I know, in his first OIS, centerpunched the perp twice in the high chest with his .44 Mag. Dude was a dead man, but didn't know it, and kept coming. Cop gave him three more in the high chest, dude kept coming. Cop said, more or less, "Fornicate this!", elevated his POA and esploded the perp's brainpan. Since then, a la John Wesley Hardin, he has always shot people in the head.

FWIW, despite his disconcerting experience, he hasn't given up his Model 29 for a Ruger LCP. Just an observation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well, I just hope if I have to deal with a methhead ironman he lucks out and catches me on a Kimber day, instead of a PPK day. wink

honestly....nutria don't seem to be able to tell much difference between a 100 silvertip and a 230 hydrashok, but then nutria don't shoot back.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was able to perform a similar test a few years ago when CorBon sent a rep with a huge batch of gel to the training facility where I worked. I fired several dozen different loads that day from .32-.460 s&w.

Quite a few different duty .38 loads were shot. I switched to the CorBon DPX 110gr load THAT DAY after seeing the stellar performance of that load and the SURPRISINGLY POOR performance of everything else.

RLTW
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
glad to hear that....that's what I keep in my wife's Chief's special. haven't tried the .380s.....I'm a little worried that big old hollow point will give me problems in my PPK, and I know the silvertips feed every time.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
NUTRIA. That is such a wholesome sounding name for a rat on steroids.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it does sound like a health food drink, doesn't it?

nasty marsh destroying little buggers. Katrina and Rita killed a few million of them, but they're back in spades.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
NUTRIA. That is such a wholesome sounding name for a rat on steroids.

grin

SteveNO, I saw my first nutria at Pat Powell's hog hunt in west Texas 2 years ago. BIG mofo!! One of the guys nailed it with his hog rifle.

Sorry to hear they're a big problem down your way. Are they of any value for their fur? What are their natural enemies, if any?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
it does sound like a health food drink, doesn't it?

nasty marsh destroying little buggers. Katrina and Rita killed a few million of them, but they're back in spades.

Always wondered if they were qbove the waterline enough that the could be sniped from a bench like ground squirrels or Rockchucks or prarie dogs?

Could be a lot of fun if they could be varmint blasted.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
oh, yeah.....we shoot them from the levees with .22 mags and ARs but you have to be real careful about what's behind them.

some guys climb up in deer stands so they can shoot down and use .22-250s and blow them up all day. they're used to gunfire because of duck season so if it isn't on top of them they just keep doing what they're doing. doesn't seem to panic them when their buddy eating next to them vaporizes.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Thanks for the report Doc. No surprise to me about the .380. Nice to hear that the 147 gr. 9mm ammo works better these days too.
I, for one, don't get this bussiness of "if I can't carry something light and small, I won't carry at all," stuff. Either I'm armed or I'm not. If I am, it has to be something that has a solid ability to handle a bad guy. Toy guns don't do this for me. I've been around enough shootings with them to know the difference. Not only are they less, and sometimes alot less effective, but they are harder to shoot well when in a fight.
But that's just me. E
Excellent post E, and I agree....These little .380 pocket rockets are more a fashion statement than anything else in my opinion, if your going to carry have enough gun to do the job if it's ever needed.............Hb

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Thanks for the report Doc. No surprise to me about the .380. Nice to hear that the 147 gr. 9mm ammo works better these days too.
I, for one, don't get this bussiness of "if I can't carry something light and small, I won't carry at all," stuff. Either I'm armed or I'm not. If I am, it has to be something that has a solid ability to handle a bad guy. Toy guns don't do this for me. I've been around enough shootings with them to know the difference. Not only are they less, and sometimes alot less effective, but they are harder to shoot well when in a fight.
But that's just me. E
Excellent post E, and I agree....These little .380 pocket rockets are more a fashion statement than anything else in my opinion, if your going to carry have enough gun to do the job if it's ever needed.............Hb
.380's are for people that really don't want to be "inconvenienced" carrying a gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
ATTENTION, Jello shooting lovers:

I don't think it takes 'Rocket" science to convince anyone here that the 380 round lacks in almost every degree of measured effectiveness when compared to its many BIGGER brothers.

I've long known folks who were interested in 380 pistols for various reasons and not one considered himself to be a "380 lover" or was under any illusion that the 380 round was anything superior or a REAL man-stopper.

Next thing I suppose is some expert is gonna go test-fire my favorite Beretta 'Bobcat' and tell me that the 25 ACP bullet bounced off of the Jello. smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
oh, yeah.....we shoot them from the levees with .22 mags and ARs but you have to be real careful about what's behind them.

some guys climb up in deer stands so they can shoot down and use .22-250s and blow them up all day. they're used to gunfire because of duck season so if it isn't on top of them they just keep doing what they're doing. doesn't seem to panic them when their buddy eating next to them vaporizes.

Now we're talking. How about a campfire Nutria Safari. I'll bring down an old .30-30 and a 5 gallon bucket of shells loaded with Sierra 125 grain HP's. That ought to be interesting.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone have any info on the Mag-Safe or RBCD or Glaser Safty slug ammo n the .380?

How does the gelatin compare with one gallon water jug shooting?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,850
Posts18,496,983
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.