Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, today I sold one of my AR's and I am now in the market for a varmint rifle. The Caliber will be .223 and the only question is which rifle. Right now I am leaning towards the Savage Axis/Edge because money is definitely an issue for me.

I've been searching the internet for some reviews of this rifle and so far the only negative points are the cheap stock and of course the trigger. It looks like the trigger is fairly easy to fix but are there aftermarket stocks out there that I can eventually change to? Anyone here shooting one of these? Care to comment on how you like/dislike the rifle?

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i bought an axis in 223 a few months ago (added a leupy vx2 3-9x40) as a cheap rifle for coyotes.

mine is very accurate and has taken 10 yotes in 2 months.

the trigger is rough, but i'll have my smith lighten it up sometime this summer.

the stock isn't the sharpest things out there, but mine seems just fine (even with a bypod mounted) and i see no reason to replace it.

it is what it is, a lesser priced rifle that offers great accuracy with some trade-offs. i bought several cans of camo-shade spray paint to paint the rifle during the summer. ymmv.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
bought one as a truck gun this week. with a little trigger work i think it will be a fine one.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
hell for $299 with a bushnell cheapie scope...if it shoots like a savage ought to, it will feel like a good buy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, those were exactly the kind of comments I was looking for. So accuracy is good. That's nice to know.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been think of getting one for awhile, but can't really think of a reason why.. Just curious I suppose if they really do shoot like a regular savage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have shot a couple of Savage Axis/Edge rifles at the range and didn't care for them. The pistol grip geometry really doesn't fit me well and without a good fit, a firearm will never be comfortable.

I think that the Stevens 200 is a better rifle, a proven design for which there are lots of after-market parts available if you want to tinker with it.

If Marlin's management would get their butts and make the XS-7 in 223, it would be the best buy, but since they don't exist, they can't be a best buy.

Jeff

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE
Thanks guys, those were exactly the kind of comments I was looking for. So accuracy is good. That's nice to know.

The rifle only comes in one action length, but it is quite light for a long action. They use a different trigger guard for short and long action with the short action trigger guard having about a half inch spacer built in.

Your only issue (other than it isn't pretty) is that the trigger is likely to be very heavy. I guarantee it to shoot like a Savage is supposed to. I just did a $.50 trigger job on one for a friend of mine and got the pull down from 6# to 3# and very crisp. If you are interested in doing the trigger, PM me for details.

Even though I don't need one, I may get one for a truck gun when they start shipping the left handed model they are promising. I like the Stevens 200 better than the Axis, but alas no lefty Stevens. BTW, Savage seems to have started shipping the Axis trigger in the latest Stevens 200s.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 03/16/12.
C
C
I have one in 25-06 and it shoots my handloads with 110grn accubonds into .5"-.6" all the time. It will put factory Federal stuff into .8". I did put a Rifle Basix trigger in it though. My boss's hubby bought an Axis in 25-06 it too, will put my handload into .6". A buddy bought a youth model in .243 and tried some factory Federal Fusion in it and it put 3 into .6" a couple different times. IMO, they are MORE accurate than the average Savage and I believe that is because the receiver has a smaller port on it, making the receiver stiffer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to look in all the gun shops around town and see if anyone has one I can handle and check the fit.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with 260Remguys post above in that the pistol grip geometry just plain sucks. That being said, my brother has one and it is damned accurate.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Academy has Savage Axis rifles in 223 and 22-250 for $279.99.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Richards Microfit makes Savage stocks. See if this can help:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
picked it up, clipped a couple coils off the trigger spring, and it made the pull a LOT better. it feeds well and the rifle overall is so much nicer than i anticipated.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

Richards Microfit makes Savage stocks. See if this can help:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

Thanks, I've bookmarked that site.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22-250.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
just got back from the range. the scope is boresighted so after tightening everything down- which savage didn't do- i shot a few groups at 100 yards. first group was a handload it didn't like, 1.25" 3 shot group. remington umc went about an inch.

second group was with a handload for another rifle i don't have anymore. 40 grain vmax over varget. 4 shot group put 3 in what looked like an old fashioned keyhole, and then threw one outside the group. pretty sure it was my fault but will test that theory tomorrow.

the group measured just over a half inch. damn good for a $289 package rifle with a random handload.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds promising. How does the stock feel? There are some that say they don't like the way it feels in their trigger hand. I finally have a couple days off starting tomorrow and I plan on visiting a few gun stores to see if they have a Savage I can fondle. grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i know what they mean. the wrist of the stock is very thin. no big deal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would NEVER recommend Richardmicrofit unless there was no other option. NEVER!

Seriously, unless you have experience working with wood, RMF stocks are only semi-finished, regardless of what they might tell you, and take a lot of work to get from "open the box" to "bed the action". A Boyds finished stock will be miles ahead of RMF, so if Boyds inlets for the barreled action that you're using, I'd go with Boyds almost every time.

RMF = www.rifle-stocks.com
Boyds = www.boydsgunstocks.com

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,936
Posts18,518,996
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.