Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Science is better served if theories were not taught as fact.

Science would be better served if data was just that, data.

Science would be better served if theories (hypothesis) remained in their part of the scientific method and not placed as the conclusion of the science.
Prevailing scientific theories are not the equivalent of hypotheses. A hypothesis is an educated guess. It can rise to a scientific theory only after it survives intensive challenge and scrutiny.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

...and all debate would be better served if its participants knew the difference between an opinion, a belief, a hypothesis, a theory and a fact.
+1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
what i want to know is how many teeth a horse is supposed to have?

should we ask a holy man or a scientist? either one will do, so long as they know the answer.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
Exactly. Initially, evolution seems to make sense -over eons of time things change, and to some extent that is true, but animals don't become humans.
laugh So we're not animals?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by billhilly

Atheism is a religeon in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

It is a theistic belief structure and therefore a religion.

So not believing in unicorns is a religion too? Atheism is just a lack of belief in gods, not a belief that there isn't one.
I thought atheism was the belief that there is no God, while agnosticism was the mere absence of belief in God.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
That's nonsense. But it's how state run religions operate.

And, by those remarks, seeking converts is precisely what you are trying to do.

Total hypocrisy

Except, it's not a State-run religion. Instead, it's an expression of scientific theory that happens to disagree with the creation myth of YOUR (and every other) religion. This upsets you and yours, and y'all pull every semantic and linguistic trick you can to try and equate two things that couldn't be much more different.

I'm sure there's a country somewhere you could move to that doesn't believe in secular schools, and believes in teaching creationism. wink

I suppose you are forgetting that a large reason why this country was inhabited from England and other countries in the first place was the opportunity for freedom from state run religion? Freedom from state run religion and religious persecution. Your state run system, I doubt teaches that any more either though.

Now you and your kind want to drive anyone who disagrees with you out. Tyranny and hypocrisy is just too telling.

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Genesis jibes pretty well with what science has to say about the origin of life on earth.

Really? Better read it again. There are some sequences that you might find troubling in that regard. Particularly when you read that the earth was created before the sun and stars, but after light defining night and day.

Steve

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Genesis jibes pretty well with what science has to say about the origin of life on earth.

Really? Better read it again. There are some sequences that you might find troubling in that regard. Particularly when you read that the earth was created before the sun and stars, but after light defining night and day.

What does that have to do with what I said? I spoke of life.

That said, the sun and the stars are considered parts of the heavens, which was listed before the earth.

Thirdly, Genesis wasn't written as a scientific treatise.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
guess you did.

anyway....gotta run.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
That's nonsense. But it's how state run religions operate.

And, by those remarks, seeking converts is precisely what you are trying to do.

Total hypocrisy

Except, it's not a State-run religion. Instead, it's an expression of scientific theory that happens to disagree with the creation myth of YOUR (and every other) religion. This upsets you and yours, and y'all pull every semantic and linguistic trick you can to try and equate two things that couldn't be much more different.

I'm sure there's a country somewhere you could move to that doesn't believe in secular schools, and believes in teaching creationism. wink

I suppose you are forgetting that a large reason why this country was inhabited from England and other countries in the first place was the opportunity for freedom from state run religion? Freedom from state run religion and religious persecution. Your state run system, I doubt teaches that any more either though.

Now you and your kind want to drive anyone who disagrees with you out. Tyranny and hypocrisy is just too telling.

Teaching creation myths in public school as fact would, however, qualify as state-run religion. That's why we don't do it.

I don't want to run you out. You seem like good people. I just don't want my kid presented with your religion as if it were fact. What would be next? Teaching virgin birth in Health class? Resurrection from death in physiology? Walking on water in PE?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Atheism is a religeon in the same way that not collecting stamps is a hobby.

It is a theistic belief structure and therefore a religion.

So not believing in unicorns is a religion too? Atheism is just a lack of belief in gods, not a belief that there isn't one.
I thought atheism was the belief that there is no God, while agnosticism was the mere absence of belief in God.

Agnostics can go either way. That deals with lack of knowledge. You can not know and still believe or not believe. Most atheists I know are agnostic atheists. They don't see a reason to believe in gods given the lack of evidence as a default position but believing there isn't one would require faith. Kinda like not believing in unicorns. Somebody may find one someday wandering around in the jungle but it seems unlikely.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Kinda like not believing in unicorns. Somebody may find one someday wandering around in the jungle but it seems unlikely.
laugh

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Malloy805
Originally Posted by Swampman1
If evolution were true, 95% of the people I meet wouldn't exist.

If creation is true God deserves a smack up side the head for many of the people he's created .

smile smile smile smile smile smile x 10^10!!!

That is the single funniest post on the internet EVER

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Science would be better served if data was just that, data.

Hardly. You have no understanding of science if you think that. Facts are collections of details. Science is a rational understanding of that the details mean. You have missed this entirely. Back to square one with you.

Science would be better served if theories (hypothesis) remained in their part of the scientific method and not placed as the conclusion of the science.

If we are to play the semantics game, then you need to separate theories and hypotheses. They are not the same. You have much ground to cover to begin to understand what science is, never mind what it is telling us.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Exactly. Initially, evolution seems to make sense -over eons of time things change, and to some extent that is true, but animals don't become humans.
Well, I'm not.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I'm not.

You're just another "Siri" kind of being then. Well THAT explains a lot.

I feel better now knowing you aren't a human after all.

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Though shalt not bear false witness....
I think I stated I was not an animal. You profess intelligence and can not read?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I'm not.

I am! Proud of it.

I sometimes wonder how much time peeps have spent with animals, that they'd think they are so different.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well, I'm not.
Are you vegetable, or perhaps angelic?

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No, but several women have called me 'oh god'

Page 14 of 33 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10ring1, 222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,568
Posts18,531,885
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.