Print Thread
Hop To
S
soli Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Anyone use a woodfire to meltlead for ingots?

Lakeland,Fl.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It'll work. Mountain men did it.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't currently but know a few who did/do, works fine, just have lots of wood. smile

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used wood to get a coal fire burning. I'd put a squirrel cage blower aimed at the base of the fire and shazam melted lead.
The down side is coal stinks when it first gets to burning.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by soli
Anyone use a woodfire to meltlead for ingots?

I did this as a one-time deal about 20 or 25 years ago to melt down a bunch of lead I got for nothing. I wanted to make make ingots that I could transport home.

An ordinary wood fire works, but if you have fan or a leaf blower you can really increase the heat and speed things up.

I dug a hole (about 15 inch diameter and about that deep) with quite vertical sides in the ground, and leading off the bottom of that, I dug a trench big enough to bury a piece of metal pipe to use an an air duct. I then backfilled the 2 foot long trench over this piece of 2 or 3 inch steel pipe. Piled a lot of split wood in the vertical hole on top of some newspaper, doused both with a little kerosene, lit it, then stuck the end of a leaf-blower in the buried metal pipe. I had a piece of a heavy metal grate (a cast-iron grill from an old tractor) which rested on the ground and that my cast iron pot would rest on.

I do not know what temperatures I reached, but it would melt a kettle of scrap lead quite quickly and you could feel the heat on your face from a pretty respectable distance. It sure went through the maple wood fast too!

A few cement cinder blocks and a leaf-blower would work too, with the only tricky thing being to support the heavy cast iron pot filled with lead over the fire. Be careful about using anything like a barbecue grill -- the temperatures this fan-driven wood fire will reach will get the steel hot enough to glow and sag.

Using a leaf blower, squirrel cage fan from an old car, or a vacuum cleaner with the hose in the "blow" end, you can reach temperatures high enough to blacksmith steel or iron if you use charcoal instead of wood ( see HERE or HERE

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck -- and watch out for your eyebrows. This will make serious heat! grin

John

IC B2

T
T
Yes I use a large cast iron deep skillet, wood fire and muffin tins. I leave a third of the melted lead in the skillet, helps to melt the WW faster.

[Linked Image]

S
soli Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Terry; Ihave a set up like yours,thinking of useing it or right on the coals.Thereason I would like tto use wood got a bunch of stumps to burn and a lot of lead.

Lakeland,Fl.
T
T
On and off for a week 2 years ago I converted 300lbs of WW into lead muffins using that method.
Had a little bit of excitment with a small cloud burst.
Paid $10 at Goodwill for the cast skillet and muffin tin & a couple dozen dognuts for the WW.

Last edited by TerryM; 03/19/12.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by arkypete
I've used wood to get a coal fire burning. I'd put a squirrel cage blower aimed at the base of the fire and shazam melted lead.
The down side is coal stinks when it first gets to burning.

Jim

I coulden't keep the danged squirrels runnung for my blower. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,516
Posts18,490,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.