-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm in the midst of planning a trip to Africa either this year or next and have a question with regards to how plains game animals' hides vary according to seasonality, temperature, food quality & availability, etc.

We have some good friends that are going to the Limpopo area in SA in August, with the express purpose of taking a large Kudu. They were encouraged by their outfitter (Kuvhima Safaris) to go during that time of year since there is less foliage, thereby making it slightly easier to find and take a big kudu. We have been invited to go. In as much as my wife and I would love to go with them, I have some concerns about going during what is essentially wintertime. I mean, the mounts are going to be on the walls of our home for a long time, and if I'm going to shell out the dough and the time, I'd just as soon have examples of the species I'm interested in that were taken during their seasonal prime.

For example, the appearance and quality of the coat of a bull elk can vary widely depending upon what time of year it is taken. Glorious in August and September, pretty darn rough in late winter and into spring. Assuming it were legal, taking the time and incurring the expense of coming over here from SA to shoot a bull elk during that time of year would be foolhearty in my opinion.

Are my concerns relating to seasonal hide quality valid? If so, when is the optimal month to go for your typical plains game animals?

Thanks in advance,

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed Kudu in the Limpopo region in October and May. Can't tell much difference if that helps. I don't think they ever have much hair but my experience is only in May and October.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Evening Allen - August is leaning towards spring and in which month we traditionally experience lots of wind. What you win at the merry-go-round you lose at the swings in terms of prime hunting time with regards to foliage, cape quality and whatever you would like to add to the pro's and con's of such a hunt.

I hunt a lot in Limpopo but it is a rather large area and there are areas that I seldom get to if ever.

According to my experience the best time is during the rut for two reasons: kudu bulls do not have hunters on their minds, and secondly, their necks swell a considerable lot during this time. The swelling makes for an impressive mount if you remember to take the measurements for your taxidermist once the kudu is down. Your taxidermist will love you for doing that.

Maybe some outfits believe August and maybe they are correct. I just know what I have seen. Towards the end of the season, due to a lack of foliage (kudu are predominantly browsers) the lack of food can lead to a scruffy coat. Mange can be found among some animals prior to the wet season also.

The best time to hunt Africa is when you are ready to do so, not before, and not after. Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When is the kudu rut? Do other animals rut during the same time or is each animal's rut season different?

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kudu rut during May and beginning of June, same as impala and a bunch of other animals. Some animals do not have an official rutting season and have offspring year round, like buffalo. Most animals though have their rut in or during that time.

IC B2

DLS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If I were to hunt primarily for Kudu, I'd definitely go during the rut. Of my 4 safaris, 2 occured during the kudu rut in May and they were much more prevalent, especially big bulls. I've seen big bulls do some dumb things during that period, just as our elk and deer do here when they have love on their minds.

Of course, if I were going for reasons beyond kudu hunting, then other considerations would come into mind. I don't think there is a wrong time to hunt Africa, but the primary species has a lot to do with when you might want to schedule your trip if that one special species is really important above all others.

Peter Kriel has given some good comments about kudu cape quality during August, but I'll throw out something to think about for a different species. I'd think that Eland have particularly good capes in late winter, especially with regard to their ruff. Peter, would that be correct?

Last edited by DLS; 03/17/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Morning DLS. Eland are a difficult one because of their short hair. I have not seen them grow a definate coat during winter, but I have also never seen them look scruffy at the end of winter. I just love it when an old bull has a blue cape and the dew lap is kicked side-to-side by his knees when walking or running.

Nice observation thanks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,846
Posts18,478,321
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.