Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I drew a Wyoming bull tag for this fall and I will be hard pressed to pass up a legal bull. I have an 8x8 on the wall and I don't ever expect to top that.

That being said, elk meat is GOOD!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I hunt for the whole ball of wax, I hunt for trophies usually, but oddly enough, they've got a lot of meat attached to those antlers.

The "cows, dinks, and calves taste better" comments always makes me laugh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
All of the above...

I've kept my freezers full of elk meat since 1971, and I have shoulder mounts of my two best 6 point bulls, so...what Pat said.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a meat hunter, love the Elk hunting. This last year we hunted 12 days and the experience was unbelievable. Shot my 4x5 bull on day 6, helped two friends with theirs on days 8 and 10. Could have shot a couple of spikes early and if I would have held out might have been able to get a small 6x.

Last edited by 24mileboy; 03/16/12. Reason: misspelled
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
First elk I ever killed was a big 6 pt ( '71 or '72) since then cows, raghorns, a few 5 pts and one spike-- all were good eating and hunts but as age (65 now) and backpacking the quarters gets tougher each year I sure wish I bump into just one more 6 before I'm done and if the pack kills me - what a glorious way to die!!!
Every elk is a trophy

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
First elk I ever killed was a big 6 pt ( '71 or '72) since then cows, raghorns, a few 5 pts and one spike-- all were good eating and hunts but as age (65 now) and backpacking the quarters gets tougher each year I sure wish I bump into just one more 6 before I'm done and if the pack kills me - what a glorious way to die!!!
Every elk is a trophy

It won't kill you. You just take more pack out trips. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess if I were much of a trophy hunter, I wouldn't have spent so much time hunting rabbits and squirrels and coons and such. I just love to hunt and it don't matter much what. I have shot some big bucks over the course of my life but never had one mounted. I know damn well what a deer looks like and don't need one hanging in my house to remind me.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter
Do you hunt for trophy's or food for the freezer or just the thrill of the kill? Jayco

Yes!

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I guess if I were much of a trophy hunter, I wouldn't have spent so much time hunting rabbits and squirrels and coons and such. I just love to hunt and it don't matter much what. I have shot some big bucks over the course of my life but never had one mounted. I know damn well what a deer looks like and don't need one hanging in my house to remind me.

I agree.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get an either sex tag here in Colorado. I usually shoot the 1st legal animal I see. I'd rather shoot a cow. Horns are nice but they do get in the way of field dressing the elk. And they are another trip out. With all that said, I shot a nice 6x6 this year on the last afternoon. He was all alone. Bob

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Both. I love the meat

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My 5x5, 600 + pound raghorn ate good - my pal, Ed's 1,200 lb cowzilla ate LONGER and just as good - maybe better. We both shoot whatever shows up first. At our age we don't need any more horns in the garage.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

All the above. Between guiding, my 81 year dad and his cronies, my 13 year old son and usually another kid or two, I get in on plenty of both meat and trophy hunting.

If I'm carrying a bow, I'm usually looking for largish bull. With a rifle, I'm generally happy with a little bull, or better yet, a yearling cow. Of course, if I run across a big one.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1st elk I see......anymore. Hunted for big bulls for too many years and went home empty as a result of being greedy.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I have a bull tag, I'll watch for the big boys till the end. If it's either sex, it depends on what kind of bulls I've seen.
If it's a cow tag, I look for a nice young yearling, cause that's the best eating of all.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Trophy hunter. I have no problem eating tags. It usually takes 3-4 years for me to draw a tag, I'm not punching it on a small bull.
Cows and cow tags are for eating. We get enough guys donating meat so that helps too.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm a meat hunter simply because I don't have the skill to be a trophy hunter. If I see a huge rack and have a shot and tag I would take it. I also don't have the money or free time to invest in extensive scouting and weeks spent in the field. I get a couple of weekends and I have to shoot what I'm able to find.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You can't eat the antlers and tag soup doesn't taste good either........ wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
Every elk is a trophy

I couldn't have said it better.

Jim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here on the ranch, there are a lot of choices. That being said, I always use land owner tags, and try to take a fat cow.

Personally, I prefer the taste to that of bulls.

Some say you can't tell the difference in flavor, I beg to differ!

Respects,

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.