Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet deal. I can never seem to find elk that cooperate so nicely wink

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I added a pic of my rig to the first page.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Keeps the horse from throwing his head....which can be the beginning of a rodeo.

There are ways to fix that...jus' sayin

I've been playing with the 6.5-06 lately and the 142 smk. Curious to know your recipe and if you've considered the 140 Berger?

I've been running mine just under 3000fps and am quite impressed by the over cartridge itself.

Wondering though if it offers more than the 260 rem... enough to justify the LA and whatnot.

That horse was a rescue that a friend was working...was never broke well, but a gal bought it hoping to ride it....which was fine as long as you did not mind where you were going or how you were getting there.....lol. a few days on the hill did wonders.

I run 7828 iirc with the 142. I have not given the bergers a go because they are hard to find here and smk are easy to get....and they shoot into the .2's or better for me. Having a good stash of them and having killed the heck out of stuff....I just shoot em. When I spoke to sierra they advised me that 2900 was the magical velocity for them. I am loafing along with a 27" barrel at 2950.....but it is so repeatable that I can't see wearing out a barrel to improve on perfection.

I would only feel handicapped by a 260 if mag length hosed me.

Standard cut 7828 or SSC?

I'm running a 26" 8 twist Rock barrel and RL22 ( 53.5 grs.)

I'd like to find a magical load with a Hodgdon Extreme Powder. I'mm gonna give 4831sc a whirl.

I'm liking the ballistics I've been running on the 260 and the 130 berger. But If I can run the 140 berger equal or faster than the 130 then the LA 6.5-06 would be the one to get the nod. If'in a guy could get the 120 gr TTSX to shoot well you could end to end a moose with that pill running 3100fps+ The have a LRX at 127 grs but who know what the BC is.
My goal is to get a lighter rifle than the one I have now and use it on anything from song dogs to Elk. I'm pleased to see the smk performed well on the Elk for ya.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cocadori
I'd like to find a magical load with a Hodgdon Extreme Powder. I'mm gonna give 4831sc a whirl.

I believe H-1000 is the ticket. Very accurate and good velocities with 140 Bergers in more than one 6.5-06 that I know of.

Merry Christmas!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Keeps the horse from throwing his head....which can be the beginning of a rodeo.

If a horse wants to buck a tie-down ain't going to interfere with that. For a horse to "rodeo" he has to get his head down and a tie-down ain't going to interfere with that,

I don't see your point at all

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
more than one wat for a horse to ruin your day...

like throwing it's head back and smashing your nose like a tomato.

the tie-down is a corrective tool, not a permament piece of tack

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This guy knows horses, I learned everything I know from him. We had old horses, young horses, big horses, green horses, and we never rode with a tie down. We rode in timber and uneven terrain. Sometimes we used bridles, some horses we used a hackamore. We never had a short rope, always tied the horse with a rope or halter, never the bridle.

Long story short, if you don't give a horse his head, you can end up in a real wreck in country where a horse can lose his footing. A 2000 pound animal rolling over you and putting a saddle horn in your guts will make you wish you never saw a tie down...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen a few guys use a running martingale.

Classic pic Shrapnel!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Another good training aid

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think some folks missed that this wasn't rough country and was another guy's horse. Also that other guy was working on fixing problems created by previous owner/ rider(s). Give a fella a break and let him know he did a helluva job.

And, just for the record, one of my 3 horses does wear a tiedown most of the time - you just reach up and unclip it when you get off trail. He doesn't flinch in the tough stuff, but he's excited to get there when we're on the logging road.

Good work HC!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
yep. hard to find fault with sucess.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I don't like tie-downs in rough country....

Originally Posted by FNG
I think some folks missed that this wasn't rough country and was another guy's horse. Also that other guy was working on fixing problems created by previous owner/ rider(s). Give a fella a break and let him know he did a helluva job.

And, just for the record, one of my 3 horses does wear a tiedown most of the time - you just reach up and unclip it when you get off trail. He doesn't flinch in the tough stuff, but he's excited to get there when we're on the logging road.

Good work HC!

My response is not to take away anything from the hunt, only to help clarify the need (or lack of it) for a tie down. We never used a tie down, many do for the reasons mentioned here too. Be assured though, when you are in the mountains with snow on the ground, I would consider that rough country.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job reading the conditions, and making a great shot, h c. Congrats to you.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No sweat fellas, I know if it comes to rifles, horses or bird dogs....we all roll a smidge different. It's easy to judge 100% of someone's plan based on a single pic captureing but a fraction of a second. The horses were fine on the road and we walked them through the snow seen here. I don't like the tiedown anyhow, just one more thing to get hung up and cause a mess. I also know when a good friend who is a hell of a horseman tells me he is going to tie the horse down on the road cause its been know to throw its head and cause a stir....I take his word as a fact.

All in all we had a great time, made a seasons meat and some great memories from a lot of work.

I am glad to see criticism, it shows love of animals...just remember, there is always more to the story. Merry Christmas and may all your shots fly true.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A 6.5-06 will be next project!!

NRA Benefactor member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sweet rig. One of these or a 6.5-284 is in my future.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
A 6.5-06 will be next project!!

You will not be disappointed...!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice hunting story, thanks for sharing. May I ask what scope that is your running.

Shod

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.