Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When folks are talking about their rifles they like to brag that they are sub-MOA shooters ... but only at specific distances. GGRRRRR. If your rifle is capable of sub-MOA performance at 100 yards ... it should be just as capable at 200 yards or 50 or 500 .... you the shooter may not be, but the rifle should be .... so why do folks insist on saying their rifles are sub-MOA @ 100??? Do they just NOT understand what MOA means? But caliber still trumps all ... hey what caliber is that?? ...

Hey there's my medication ... ahhhh .... all is goodly now.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you not noticed that many loads that are equally accurate at 100 yards are often not equal at 300 yards? Same shooter. Same gun. Same scope. Same day.

A gun that has proven to shoot moa at 500 yards is better than a gun that has only been proven at 100 yards, until it is also able to prove itself at 500 yards. Which it may not be able to do, in spite of shooting moa at 100 yards.

You are assuming that accuracy is linear. It often isn't, for several reasons.

So saying what distance a group was shot at is relevant information.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guess that hasn't been my experience .... typically it's my lousy shooting if my 1" @ 100 yards rifle isn't holding 3" @ 300 yards. But I guess I could agree with needing to be proven at a certian distance .... Its still a pet peeve .... Just doesn't sound correct ....

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When quantifying any event, it's always best to provide all the data. Short range stuff is more doable, because one has less in the way of wind issues.

Anyone that does moa at 1K is likely doing much less than that at 100 yds.

One could also experience some parallax issues and do well at a mid range and go to hell near and far. This is probably the problem when folks are arguing the "going to sleep story."

Still, I'd agree that moa at any defined range is a reasonable goal.

1Minute
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I figure if someone says it is sub MOA at 100, he is just testifying to the distance he has actually shot it. (maybe)

I may have been giving undue credit all this time for actual experience when I read that line.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Have you not noticed that many loads that are equally accurate at 100 yards are often not equal at 300 yards? Same shooter. Same gun. Same scope. Same day.

A gun that has proven to shoot moa at 500 yards is better than a gun that has only been proven at 100 yards, until it is also able to prove itself at 500 yards.

Thats the first thing that occured to me too...and Ive found the bullet/load being used can often be the culprit..
I have a number of rifles that shoot sub-moa the whole way out with certain loads, but with other loads, sub-moa only at 100 yds...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
it helps to remember this is the internet. gotta love anonymity.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since there are many, many more 100 yard rifle ranges than 500 yard ranges, it stands to reason. I understand that a MOA doesn't change but at 100 yards, that term and 1 inch are pretty much used interchangably.
The disturbances that affect the shooter/rifle/bullet are not straight line out to whatever distance. As the bullet's velocity changes, and the distance changes, the effects of these disturbances intensify.
I'm sure everyone in here can do it but I think a shooter that can consistantly hold 1 MOA at 500 yards probably spends more time on the firing range than the internet.

Aim for the exit hole.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My range only goes to 300 yards, and I shoot that distance often. The funny part is when the wind is down, or very consistent, I quite often do better MOA wise at 300 than at 100 when I'm shooting my heavier 308s.

No, it isn't parallax.

No, it isn't long VLD bullets settling down.

For some reason I can feel myself doing a better job of managing the trigger when I'm looking at the 300 yard target. crazy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
You are assuming that accuracy is linear. It often isn't, for several reasons.

And there it is. I can't offer an informed theoretical explanation for it, but I've surely observed it empirically. It's a well known phenomenon among shooters in the long range competitive disciplines.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have frequently found all of three or four sets of rounds shooting under an inch at 100 years, but changing over distance of 200 or 300 yards. Generally only one or two rounds are still holding three-round shots under MOA at 300 yards. Pretty clear that the issues are within the cartridges rather than me, although sometimes that is an issue too whistle.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think bullet instability isn't always evident until you start shooting 200+. I have had loads that shot great at 100, only to start spraying at 200+. Back to the drawing board...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I quite often do better MOA wise at 300

As much as I try to maximize performance regardless of range, I too know that more concentration and effort go into long range attempts.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I dont know but a handfull of people who can judge field distances (+/- 25 yards) beyond 300 in varied terrains.
For most they over-estimate range in open slopping terrain. The problem is only compounded when you add super-scopes into the mix.
for me, i have to intentionally pick a spot thats longer than 100 yards as most my hunting areas are wooded.
Not that shooting out there is an issue, i'd just rather use large areas as scouting and then try to close the distance by foot.
seems more fun.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So, I get the original point, but has anyone ever had a rifle that wouldn't group worth a flip at 100 but was a pretty good shooter farther out? I had a 6.5x55 that wouldn't do better than 3 inches at 100, yet at 300 it was still at 3 to 4 inches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have, but dialing out parallax has always been a fix.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
avagadro...
other pet peeves to consider

the word Irregardless.

Hot water heater (I mean...what'd be the point?)

my daughters phrase "overexaggerate" - how does one judge the proper amount?

the term- out of the box accuracy!

the term..inherent accuracy

the gun salesman telling me 308's are more accurate than 270's because they arc to the target.

people who say after fifteen minutes of ramble, "long story short".

Axle Rose voice

...sure there are others but...that has me feeling better already.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dennis and dogcatcher are on it, I think....bullets that group good at short distance don't necessarily shoot good at long distance.....minor variations and flaws in jackets,cores, meplat and ogive not apparent at short distances will show at longer distances.

It is no accident that certain match bullets hold up well at long range.

Some bullets just show "good" as distances stretch...others not quite as well.

There is such a thing as bullet "yaw",and some bullets will show less than stellar groups at shorter distances, but go to sleep as distance increases,shooting relatively better groups at longer range.I don't think this is entirely parallax,although some of that no doubt goes on as well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kenjs1
avagadro...
other pet peeves to consider

the word Irregardless.

Hot water heater (I mean...what'd be the point?)

my daughters phrase "overexaggerate" - how does one judge the proper amount?

the term- out of the box accuracy!

the term..inherent accuracy

the gun salesman telling me 308's are more accurate than 270's because they arc to the target.

people who say after fifteen minutes of ramble, "long story short".

Axle Rose voice

...sure there are others but...that has me feeling better already.

Definition: Out of the box accuracy - being able to hit her in the eye wink

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tuna fish sammich - is there a tuna cow sammich? Or tuna chicken?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.