Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did not want to hijack Eric's post but JJHACK brought up a good point, the polished handles/scales of many knives can be dangerous if your hands are sweaty, bloody, covered with fat or all three.

I just about cut my hand off skinning a deer with a Buck 110 my Mom gave me ages ago. I finished skinning the deer with a Spyderco and then bought a Schrade 143 with the green rubber handle.

Two things have postponed a custom knife purchase and that is cost, and the second is the grip.

JJHACK suggested covering the handle with cloth tape during the hunt and I think that is a great idea. A little protection for the handle and a lot of protection for the hand.

Any alternatives solutions?

Dave

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rougher textures, Stag handles, Canvas micarta, jigged bone etc. can help, bolsters, guards, etc. can also help. Overall design is an option to look at, finger choils, integral guards etc. are all options. I like a short thong/lanyard drawn up to just allow my little finger threw which prevents me from slipping on a blade as well. Lots of ways to skin that cat so to speak.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

...? wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I am constantly amazed at the number of custom hunting knives shown on this forum that lack any kind of a guard. I was using a Cutco hunting knife with rubber handle to dress a deer several years ago and my hand slipped down over the blade. Fortunately I released my grip the moment I felt it slip and avoided a nasty injury. Those D-edge (serrated) Cutco knive seem so sharp you can get cut just looking at them. Any knife I use now has a substantial guard!

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/20/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next thing we know, you guys will be saying the government should be mandating us to wear seat belts while driving. (Just a joke, no offense intended smile )

I've got several knives from the Mississippi Mafia, mostly wood handled, some with bone, none with guards or extra grippy material, never had my hand slip and pose any danger. I don't put substantial pressure while cutting though or put myself in a position that is too harmful. (I know, it only takes one time, accidents happen when we least expect them, etc)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EricM
[Linked Image]

...? wink

My company requires the use of kevlar gloves when handling case knives (utility knives in most peoples terms). We don't have cut fingers anymore, its usually slashed wrists or forearms. You can't fix carelessness, next thing will be kevlar forearm covers.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sometimes stuff happens, but thinking about how you're cutting and using common sense will stop a lot of stuff from happening.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Cloth tape is going to be mighty difficult to clean so I'll assume you'll be changing the bacteria ladden cover after each use. This is doable but there are better ways.

If you don't want a slippery handle then buy one with a handle you like or have your smooth handle bead blasted, cover with grip tape, sand paper, whatever you wish - it's your knife.

My brother complained about the custom knife I made him (imagine that, given a custom knife and having the nerve to complain). So being the good little brother I am, I made him another knife with ribbed G-10 grips. He is now happy but I'm out a second knife, no mention of returning the no good slippery one.

I prefer a smooth grip that fits my hand. My off hand is in more danger than the one holding the blade.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check David Winston's bead blasted G-10 scales, they offer a better less slippery grip than wood or some micarta, I'm very happy with mine. The last several skinners I purchased all had the bead blast finish, and the G-10s come in lots of colors.
Good luck.
Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best bead blasted G-10,hands down,Tom Krein.

I've sampled African Blackwood recently,and its pretty darn good.

Ol faithful standby great grip,durable,green canvas micarta.
If not polished too much its smooth yet pretty grippy wet,trick is not to go too polished.

A knife with a guard is a good thing,but the guard only will allow certain holds on the knife.

Take your time if you can,clean your hands if you need to.

IC B3

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I would most definitely remove the cloth tape after use and it should come off easy, I would think most handle materials would withstand mild solvents if needed.

I don't know if this knife would look better in any other material.

[Linked Image]

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well........ duh............ the 8 cents worth of cloth tape is clearly a sacrificial one time use!

Anyone with the economic limitations to prolong the use of a wrap of tape would not likely be in the custom knife market, nor the hunting license market!

That cloth tape provides an amazing grip, and the knife is easy to clean when unwrapped!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
jigged/beaded scales are pretty secure.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The best bead blasted G-10,hands down,Tom Krein.

With a pit bull on the blade, it better be good

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want Gription, blasted G-10 or canvas micarta are the way to go.

See what's available at my website. Thanks

http://aablades.blademakers.com/

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that glass bead blasted G-10 that David Winston and Al Alexander do is the best feeing thing in the hand, as far as knives go, that I've used. It's got a 'tacky' feel to it. I don't think someone could pull it out of your hand with a rope!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seldom hold the knife in a fist like grip. If you cut vs. hack I think handle gripiness is over blown.
Fat makes things tacky pretty quick.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
(((Two things have postponed a custom knife purchase and that is cost, and the second is the grip.)))

First thing cost is a good reason not to by a custom. There are lost of good knives that are not customs. Second thing, most people will not buy a custom knife if the grip isn't high buffed and shinny , NOT a good reason not to buy a custom . If the handle on a custom is to smooth it's the buyers fault, because any custom maker will be glad to sell you a knife with a rough handle. You just have to tell him what you want.

Last edited by ArtinNC; 03/23/12.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have rarely felt that a knife's grip is "too smooth"; am I in the minority here? I've been armpit deep in a deer more than a few times with smooth micarta, smooth spalted maple, etc and have never felt like I was in danger of losing my knife. Even covered in blood and without the lanyard on I felt in control. I like a very sharp knife and am more of a deliberate slicer than a hack and slasher too I guess. I also prefer knives without guards for the most part.

I don't mean to imply I have any special talents with a knife either, I can't even count the number of times I have managed to cut myself (some rather badly). It never had to do with losing my grip though, usually it was making a poor decision or forcing a knife that had lost its edge.
Now cleaning Northerns is another story...I'm not sure they make a handle with enough grip for messing with those. laugh

Last edited by JSH; 03/24/12. Reason: spelling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JSH, I agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.