Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Looking for logger/service type boot - mildly insulated and waterproof. I need more ankle support. Need hard soles for cutting into slopes and hillsides. I'm 64, hunt, hike, and scout hilly hardwoods and cutovers. Soft soled hunting and hiking boots are wrecking my ankles. Thanks for your help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with this request is that it takes so long to wear out a good pair of boots (especially if you can re-sole them) that the style/brand and maybe even quality may not be available when you go to replace them. So I don't know what to recommend.

Having said that - I have a pair of Nick's loggers that are just plain excellent. I've used them at work and in the field. But I don't even know if they are still around. Pretty sure you can still get Whites - but they tend to be somewhat heavy for hiking, compared to the Nick's. Chippewa has a good reputation, but they never fit me right (don't let that stop you). Hathornes are similar to Nicks in weight, but not quite the quality that I see in mine.

Expect to spend at least $300 - probably more. But it will likely be worth it - especially if you buy from a boot store that will guarantee the fit.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a pair of Timberland Pro Series boots with all kinds of high tech features, anti fatigue, puncture proof soles, etc.

They are the most comfortable boots or shoes I have. I have been wearing them for everything. I had on a pair of rubber boots for feeding the goats in the mud the other day and realized that they were all over my toes stepping on them. With the Timberlines I wasn't even aware of them always stepping on my feet.

I'm sure they make a specialty boot for what you need, they also have a 30 day guarantee, if you don't like the way they feel take them back for a no questions full return.

Look up Timberline Pro Series. Oh, I paid $120 for them which didn't seem too bad compared to other higher end work boots. I've paid $250 and $275 for boots that weren't nearly as comfortable.

Last edited by 243WSSM; 03/21/12.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think Timberline even makes anyting like a logger.

I forgot to mention Redwing. Their "made in US" series of loggers look pretty good, but it seems they've gone to a thicker tongue recently. If you can stand that chunk of leather there, they might do for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've always been a danner boot fan. i've only had two pairs of the hikers in the past 30 years. have the pronghorns, and the danner hunting boot. I also like my danner elk hunters.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never owned any Danners, but some of them look good. Danner advertises "made in US", but when you look at them individually most of their models are clearly not - just like Redwing.

The boot market is one place where "made in US" is worth paying the extra price for. Good boots are not made in China, Korea, Mexico, etc....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up Boot Barn and logging boots, they have some nice ones, free shipping too.

The Boulet's look like a nice boot, Carolina's too.

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The problem with this request is that it takes so long to wear out a good pair of boots (especially if you can re-sole them) that the style/brand and maybe even quality may not be available when you go to replace them. So I don't know what to recommend.

Having said that - I have a pair of Nick's loggers that are just plain excellent. I've used them at work and in the field. But I don't even know if they are still around. Pretty sure you can still get Whites - but they tend to be somewhat heavy for hiking, compared to the Nick's. Chippewa has a good reputation, but they never fit me right (don't let that stop you). Hathornes are similar to Nicks in weight, but not quite the quality that I see in mine.

Expect to spend at least $300 - probably more. But it will likely be worth it - especially if you buy from a boot store that will guarantee the fit.

Nicks is still here and doing well. Other options are whites, hathorn and hoffmans....but the hoffmans are the only one you will see for $300. Nicks and whites are nudging $500 now. I have them all and would rate the Nicks a fuzz better than whites, both are excellent.

If you plan to do hunting and hiking, I would look at meindl, la sportiva, asolo....etc in mountaineering boots. These are all well crafted and offer out of this world ankle support without the big block heel to catch every thing in the woods. Mountaineering boots will last most guys a decade with a couple sets of soles.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve_AL
Looking for logger/service type boot - mildly insulated and waterproof. I need more ankle support. Need hard soles for cutting into slopes and hillsides. I'm 64, hunt, hike, and scout hilly hardwoods and cutovers. Soft soled hunting and hiking boots are wrecking my ankles. Thanks for your help.

www.westcoastshoe.com
Take a look at the Jobmaster. They are expensive but also re-buildable. If you take care of them they'll probably be the last pair of boots you have to buy.

Takes some serious break in time however.

If you want a less serious boot try the Danner Super rainforest. It's a great boot too, just not as hard core.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Nicks is still here and doing well. Other options are whites, hathorn and hoffmans....but the hoffmans are the only one you will see for $300. Nicks and whites are nudging $500 now. I have them all and would rate the Nicks a fuzz better than whites, both are excellent.

If you plan to do hunting and hiking, I would look at meindl, la sportiva, asolo....etc in mountaineering boots. These are all well crafted and offer out of this world ankle support without the big block heel to catch every thing in the woods. Mountaineering boots will last most guys a decade with a couple sets of soles.

I like the Meindl's but will warn you that some of them are made in Vietnam. I know the Ultralight Hiker is.

I just bought a pair of Meindl Denalis and seem to be pretty tough.

He went over yonder way
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought these Cabelas INSULATED hunting boots my Meindle two years ago and they are very comfortable, and have stood up to quite a bit of mountain hunting. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear/Mens-Footwear/Mens-Hunting-Boots/Mens-Insulated-Hunting-Boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104826780/i/104841180/CabelasPerfekt8482-1034-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/748348.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffootwear-mens-footwear-mens-hunting-boots-mens-insulated-hunting-boots%2F_%2FN-1102846%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104841180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797980%253Bcat104826780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797980%3Bcat104826780%3Bcat104841180
They are warm and waterproof. However, they are way to warm to be worn during the early season so I'm looking for a pair of boots for upland type use right now. I'm looking at several options including the Cabelas lite weight by Meindle and some surplus desert boots from Sportsmans Guide. Good luck with your search.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many mountaineering boots get overlooked because they are at stores we don't frequent or have colors that are not camo....but as far as support goes, they take the cake. Even Hoffman's boots in kellogg id has designed lineman boots out of mountaineering boots. No other line of work will put more pressure on your ankles.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Probably not going to find what you want here, but throwing this out for other guys.

http://www.militaryboots.com/

I've found the best buys on boots to be some of the many military surplus boots out there.

Danner offers their boots built on several different lasts. Their militaty boots are just as well built as the civilian version, but the last they use on their military boots fits my foot much better than the one they use on their hunting boots.

The Belleville's are USA made and are the best buy in my experience. Almost Danner quality, but at less than 1/2 the price. I've seen them sell for as little as $25 at some surplus stores. I paid $130 for my Danners that way. This boot. http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-danner-8-desert-acadia-gtx-400g

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Madsen's Logging Supply carries a loggers style boot made by Whites in Spokane, WA. They are around $204. There is a pair on my feet right now. They say Madsen's on the leather but the tags on the boot say Whites.

Double H Loggers are made in the USA too and have served me well too. I have a pair in semi retirement I use for really nasty work now days but they still have good treads and provide great support.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check with Whites Boots, Spokane, Wa. Worn by timber beasts and fire fighters ever since I've been alive. They are in no way stamped out in a vinyl mold. Google them up as they have a web page. I presently own 4-pair and have been 24-7 since 1982. Support out the ass, made in the USA, triple stitched, soles and heels held on with glue, stitching, and screws, rebuildable, and will do custom boots to ones exact specifications as well. Toe space and fit is such that ones toes will not touch the front of ones boots when going down the steepest of slopes. If custom fit is needed, one only pays the custom fee for the first pair, after that they warehouse the lasts. Expensive and damned well worth it.

The process: One orders a pair, they send a kit and one outlines feet and does several measurmments (like ball, arch, ankle, and leg at appropriate height), they send a pair of off the shelf boots that one should wear for a couple days in the house. If one likes them, they are returned and they make a replica pair. If one truly wants a precise fit, make suggestions such as narrow heal 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch more space at ball, etc and one is charged for custom boots.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/12.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 for whites, thats all I wear for wildfire and chainsaw work.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear Danners for work and have/had dozens of pairs. They're issued to me so that's why I've had so many. Otherwise, they really didn't need replacing. Re-soled a couple, donated a few, but all were still great boots when I quit wearing them. As for where they are made, the label inside the three different sets I habve now say USA. Those are the Ft.Lewis, Recon, and Acadia types.

The logger boots I wear are Carolinas from Boot Barn. Excellent boots. And as of 8 years ago, were made in the USA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Check with Whites Boots, Spokane, Wa. Worn by timber beasts and fire fighters ever since I've been alive. They are in no way stamped out in a vinyl mold. Google them up as they have a web page. I presently own 4-pair and have been 24-7 since 1982. Support out the ass, made in the USA, triple stitched, soles and heels held on with glue, stitching, and screws, rebuildable, and will do custom boots to ones exact specifications as well. Toe space and fit is such that ones toes will not touch the front of ones boots when going down the steepest of slopes. If custom fit is needed, one only pays the custom fee for the first pair, after that they warehouse the lasts. Expensive and damned well worth it.

The process: One orders a pair, they send a kit and one outlines feet and does several measurmments (like ball, arch, ankle, and leg at appropriate height), they send a pair of off the shelf boots that one should wear for a couple days in the house. If one likes them, they are returned and they make a replica pair. If one truly wants a precise fit, make suggestions such as narrow heal 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch more space at ball, etc and one is charged for custom boots.

Did you see my post above? Madsen's selling Whites with the wildland fire ratings for $204.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pira114
I wear Danners for work and have/had dozens of pairs. They're issued to me so that's why I've had so many. Otherwise, they really didn't need replacing. Re-soled a couple, donated a few, but all were still great boots when I quit wearing them. As for where they are made, the label inside the three different sets I habve now say USA. Those are the Ft.Lewis, Recon, and Acadia types.

The logger boots I wear are Carolinas from Boot Barn. Excellent boots. And as of 8 years ago, were made in the USA.
one pair of hiking boots i have are like the acadia just not all black. my latest pair were the danner combat hikers but when i bought them they were called something else and about $100 cheaper than current prices.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have/ have had most boots including Whites, Hathorns, Danner (US made stuff) Meindl and recently Kennetreks.

The logger stuff is going to be White's, Hathorns and Danner Super Rain forest. I wear my Hathorns when hunting off horses and in country that is got some moisture in the soil. My Danner Santiams ($300) are a joke. I have Meindl Alaskan and Canadas. They are very good boots. The Kennetreks are good boots but not as good as my VINTAGE Meindls. The Lowas are a huge step up from the Kennetreks IMHO. Danner tends to have narrow lasts so if you wear an E or EE forget them.

I have several custom boots too. All depends on what you are doing.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,561
Posts18,510,646
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.