Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NFG
Ya'll remind me of videos of Basilisk and frill-necked lizards erecting their crests and fringes in response to another male "infringing" on his territory.

You ALL have good contributions that are capable of teaching others a great deal IF ya'll would start cooperating instead of shooting at each other.

CONSIDER THIS. HOW MANY of you have no trouble hitting a squirrel at 100 yds with a scope sighted 22 LR rifle sighted in to that range??? I'm half blind, twitchy from age but I have little trouble hitting sage ratz at that distance with my scoped, 6" High Standard auto using CCI Stingers...cold barrel OR hot...about 50% of the time anyway.

I can stretch that distance to 150-175 with ANY of my several scope sighted 22LR cal rifles with Stingers OR standare LR and be 90%...and when I bring out my 17's or larger cal varmint rigs with 20x scopes and a range finder, that range goes to 400 minimum and be 100% unless the wind is blowing a gale...and I'm no where NEAR the shooter I was 40 years ago.

A sage rat has a instant kill zone about 2" x 2"...don't get nitpiky. Most of the deer/Elk/antelope I've killed have a kill zone about 10 times that...20 x 20", some larger, some smaller.

If you can take a sage rat at 100 yds first shot, anytime...you can do the SAME THING to a deer at 1000 yds as long as you have the right equipment, understand just a small amount of ballistics and can punch buttons on a calculator or cell phone...it's nothing but a ratio thing...a deer at 1000 yds looks about the same size and has the same relative size kill zone in your scope as a sage rat does at 100 yds.

If you haven't learned how to use the scope reticle as a range finder you need to learn how to do that also.

ANYONE can calculate drop, MRT, PBR, etc, for ANY bullet, for ANY range, for ANY BC/VELO, at ANY TIME...and with todays technology you can carry that information/program in your shirt pocket OR cellular phone EVERYWHERE you go.

ANY rifle with a minimum of .5 MOA is a chip shot for those ranges and well beyond. ALL my varminting rigs do MUCH less than .5 MOA. Even my big bore rifle will do > .5 MOA with certain bullets. When I get bored smacking ratz I start on pine cones, flower heads, rocks, lizards etc. You want nice small targets, try Lodgepole pinecones...they run golfball size and blow up nicely. If you DON'T understand this, you need to stop arguing and start learning, because you are WAY behind the curve.

The ONLY unknown variable is the wind. Doping the wind is 50% luck and 50% knowledge...by guess and by golly most of the time because the wind can shift the moment you pull the trigger. The laws of physics AND MURPHY'S law always apply and love to combine to humble and embarrass you.

No matter WHAT the caliber, a bullet with a specific BC and specific MV will drop exactly the same distance and take exactly the same time to target. That's just simple physics.

A bullet with a BC of ~750 with a MV of ~2800fs will take ~1.34 seconds to 1000 yd target and will drop ~80.5", at 1500 yds it will drop ~517" and take ~2.38 second. The bullet will drop from 485" at 1475 yds to 517" at 1500 yds. That's about 32" of drop over a distance of 25 yds or ~1.28" drop per yd of distance and while the bullet is pointing relatively level, it is coming in at a fairly steep angle.

YOU BETTER HAVE A VERY ACCURATE RANGING DEVICE because 32" of drop in 25 yds means you will miss if your ranging is off by 25 yds. Even with knowing the exact range and having your rifle zeroed at 1475 yds, the difference is STILL ~24" of drop or ~1.5 MOA zero between 1475 and 1500 yds.

AGAIN, don't get nitpiky...these are just calculated figures for illustrative purposes...what happens in real life YOU have to work out.

The main point I'm trying to make to the nay sayers is; ANYONE with the right equipment and an accurate rifle and the ability to whack a squirrel at 100 yds and do the same to a deer at 1000 yds...it AIN'T NO THANG, BRO.

And for the "Elitists"; It's great to have the equipment and the rifle and the capabilities to do these neat things...but IT AIN'T NO THANG, BRO...people have been doing it the HARD way for MANY years...WITHOUT all the fancy toys. Be proud, but be humble at the same time. Use your knowledge to your advantage and the advantage/advancement of others who like this part of this sport and climb down amoung us mortals.

AND...don't forget you DON'T have to have a full blown "long range" rifle OR load to the max in ANY caliber, to have lots of fun. I shoot 300 gr Sierras MK in my 338-06, it actually fits the long throat better than the 225 Hornady, but has to be single loaded...there are some hi BC 375 and 416 cal bullet available now that might turn my big bores into real bugholers and even single loading the old "thuty-thuty" with a long VLD will surprise you with just how accurate a Win 94/Marlin 336 can be with a little work.

Don't let your vision or interests narrow so much you forget about the rest of the world of shooting in headlong pursuit of whatever "long range" means to you.

Without directly stating it you highlighted practice, practice, practice which is the key. When in my youth we would shoot flys on logs with beebee guns and 22's when all the english sparrows scattered. Magpies with model 94 30-30, rockchucks and city dump rats with every rifle we had. Rats at night dusk to day light with a big bon fire for light. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end we'd shoot and shoot forever and a day (Chuckle, Chuckle) :-)

GB1

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
True, true, 264WM...I spent many a hotsummer day hunting the "Magnificent and Dangerous RED ANT" in many back yard "hunting preserves" with my Red Rider BB gun, mice and rats, pidgeons and sparrows and feral cats/dogs in the middle of a busy city in empty lots and buildings with a Sheridan 5mm pellet rifle, and in the "desert" a few walking miles from a town.

In those days I carried a 22 rifle or pistol just about anywhere I went, to school, down the middle of town and into stores that sometimes had a rack or at least a spot usually, behind the counter, so you could store your shooters while shopping and caught rides in and out of town with some "good Samaritan...NO ONE paid the slightest attention. I even gave a talk on firearms/hunting safety using a Remington 30'06(wish I still had it), a 1911 45 pistol, and a Rem semi-auto rifle, in science class during my junior year in high school.

We've gone from walking to the moon, from the garden of Eden to the garden of Hell, and from innocence to murderers in 100 short years...I wonder if we will make it through the next 100.

I like your rendition of a favorite song.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We even had a gun club with a 50 ft shooting range in the basement of our high school and 2 nights a week we spent a couple hundred 22 rnds a week at a penny a shot.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
AND ROTC!!! I belonged to the shooting club and ROTSEE...We had totally tricked out Win 52's, a couple with 7/8" Weaver scopes mounted that belonged to the seniors. Lower classmen would get a chance to shoot those only seldom...and the ammo was supplied free of charge. You could check out any rifle except the scoped ones to take home on the weekend if no matches were scheduled, as long as you belonged to the club.

Spent a week at Camp Pendleton's Marine "Devil Pups" and found out quickly what to expect later on in the real world. The sarge loved me when he found out I could shoot AND I like playing with explosives...still can and still do. Hahahahahah...no fun like that anymore.

Yeah...those WERE the days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amen. I joined the gun club when in the 6th grade. In the late 60's they closed it. Also I shot a lot with the BSA and Military. Boy do I miss them days. The only worry was where your next box of ammo was comming from. There was a 25 cent bounty on magpies so them birds bought a lot of ammo just so we could shoot more of um for more ammo. Sounds like a vicious circle but loads of fun.

IC B2

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Today...Shooters and people in general, have NO idea the price they paid for all this "progress" in individual liberties and with the population growth and attendent problems, we are so much more "UNSAFE" than in the days when people were packing all the time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like he wants a big boomer just because. Buy a 50 and be done with it. Surplus ammo can be had for under $2 a round if you look. I'm on my second 50 and still have a BIG grin every time I pull the trigger.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 16gage, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,001
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.