Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Never tried for turkeys with a bow before. Itching to try it this year. I shoot Magnus Stingers for deer, and figured why switch since my bow is ready to go as is.

Will they over penetrate? <GRIN>

Whatcha think?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IME (2 birds, both lost) if they are in a tree they will get off the roost and glide out of sight, The 2nd shot from a treestand was tracked (blood trail) for over 400 yards to the edge of a ravine.
He got airborn set his wings and was gone.

That was years ago w/100 gr muzzys, if you google "turkey broadheads" there are now purpose built heads for Turkeys.

Just hope that 12 pointer doesn't walk by.......

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they are in a tree, it's really not sporting or legal (in some states) to shoot them out of the roost. Regular broadheads work just fine if arrow is properly placed. Your odds of recovery are somewhat increased if the arrow stays in the bird VS a pass thru. Pinning the wings prevents them from flying. If you are a decent shot and know your equipment and limitations, not really a big deal either way. Tom

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Puzzy's who can't hunt shoot roosted birds... Must be real safe firing an arrow up at a roosted bird, considering the source I'm not surprised

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've only taken one with a bow and used cheapo broadhead called X-Force Terminators. I think they ran about $2 each on sale. I get about one per package that shoots consistent with my others and just save them for stuff like grouse and such. This time it was a turkey.

Granted, I couldn't have hit it much better because it turned away from me and I got it in the back at about 20 yds. Still a lot of wings flapping, but that was about it.

Steve

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by interthem
IME (2 birds, both lost) if they are in a tree they will get off the roost and glide out of sight, The 2nd shot from a treestand was tracked (blood trail) for over 400 yards to the edge of a ravine.
He got airborn set his wings and was gone.

That was years ago w/100 gr muzzys, if you google "turkey broadheads" there are now purpose built heads for Turkeys.

Just hope that 12 pointer doesn't walk by.......

Wow shooting roosted birds.. holy crap.. will it never end...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well douchbag, when you are in a tree stand that is 20' higher than they are roosted, it's hardly a safety issue.

I realize being in Montana you have never hunted Eastern Wild Turkey and are probably used to the dumber than dirt Merriam's
that we hunt in WY without even using a blind.

Let me make it simple: If Whitetails were as smart as Eastern Wild Turkey, there would be 95% empty freezers back East.

As usual an honest attempt to help out an OP with a question brings out the trolls like roaches out of your oatmeal box.

Join NWTF, you might learn something.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Yes, a magnus stinger will do just fine sir!

ElkNut1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lmao hunting turkey from a treestand

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see, you were 20' higher than some roosted birds in a tree stand. That would make you what 30',40' or 50' off the ground Larry. Did you sneak by those roosted birds while climbing to your stand? Lucky for you them big gobblers got gallons of blood to be able to track one 400 yards and still fly away. Should have used 130 grain 4 bladed muzzy.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
She couldn't get a turkey in the frozen food department at a supermarket let alone a wild bird

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interthem, for real? How do you get the decoys up on the tree limbs?

ElkNut1, I am a big fan of the Stingers. Thanks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by interthem
Well douchbag, when you are in a tree stand that is 20' higher than they are roosted, it's hardly a safety issue.

I realize being in Montana you have never hunted Eastern Wild Turkey and are probably used to the dumber than dirt Merriam's
that we hunt in WY without even using a blind.

Let me make it simple: If Whitetails were as smart as Eastern Wild Turkey, there would be 95% empty freezers back East.

As usual an honest attempt to help out an OP with a question brings out the trolls like roaches out of your oatmeal box.

Join NWTF, you might learn something.

um... well.. lemme see.

20 ft higher than a roosting Turkey..holy crap...

Turkeys generally roost on the top 20% of the tree to avoid predators. That puts you like 50 ft high... really Root.. common..

raised in SE Pa... family has cabins in Mifflin Co. and Wyoming Co. Pa. Grew up trapping, Hunting and Fishin from WV to NY...nope never did see a Turkey.

What is a whitetail?

laffin... and I'm a douchbag...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Shot 2 turkeys. One with snuffer other with a Magnus.

Both great heads. Can get an arrow stopping device to place behind broadhead.

Turkey hunting with a bow is a blast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, finally a real anwer to the OPs question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He got at least four real answers to his question and then you stuck your diseased head in here, spouting BS and got called on it.
No surprise!
I'd really like to try the Gobbler Guillotine with it's four inch cutting diameter!
Excellent suggestion on the arrow stopper too Ribka. Seems that any good broadhead would work fine if the arrow stayed in the bird.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only shot 2 tons with my bow both with standard broadheads.

First was about gacing straight away with a 100 gr G5 head. Hit the tom square at the base of the fan. Tom jumped up, ran about 25-30yds and fell over.

Shot one broadside at about 25yds with 100gr Slick Trick, and took it square in the Wong butts. Again ran about 25 yds and fell over.

Neither was a hard recovery. May try a dedicated turkey broadleaf this year just to see how they do but I know regular broad heads work just fine assuming they are well placed shots.

As for Larry busting rousted birds that's no surprised as he probably shoots mallards resting on the pond too. A more chitty excuse for a slob you won't find

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In a word, YES. I have shot 3 toms with my bow and all 3 with 100grain muzzy 3 blade broadheads.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Certainly two bladed broadheads will work. Same as anything else, shot placement. Granted there isn't near the target area on a turkey as there is on a whitetail, but they will work.

Now I'm probably goiong to ruffle some feathers, no pun intended, but I seriously question the intelligence of turkeys. Not a lot different from giving a trout a lot of intelligence. I will qualify that by saying they are probably the most wary of game we hunt. A whitetail seems to need confirmation from two senses before bolting. All a turkey needs is a suspiscion, real or imagined, and theyr'e gone! Supremely wary, yes, intelligent,no.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
A guy I know uses practice broadheads. He swears by them. No pass throughs, bleeds the bird. I've never hunted with him, but I think it's interesting.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,189
Posts18,484,912
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.