-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, that is awesome. Love the literal English translation, sword a long one. Lol.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat!

Any closeups of the fish monger with the abacus?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Neat!

Any closeups of the fish monger with the abacus?

If I get up early enough before work tomorrow, I'll gladly take some shots of some of the others and post up. I'm very fond of the fish guy as well. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I would be satisfied to just hold one from that era and take a LOOONNGGG look at it!

The craftsmanship that went onto those old blades is nothing short of incredible.

Ed

Agreed. Mind-boggling, the quality and levels of workmanship achieved in the form of swords from that time period. Not to mention the badassed factor. wink

for the time period? hell it is outstanding metal craft for any time period.....cant reproduce it now other than to do it the old way, sure you can use auto hammers instead of apprentices manually hammering but other than that you still need a master craftsman to make them today to the same level of quality...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is odd. The kinda crappy Japanese steel is what lead to the developement of the 'folding' method of forging those swords. With modern steel the folding to remove impurities really isn't needed. The sword spine needed to be soft and flexible to absorb shock, the edge was to be stiff and razor sharp. This is called differential hardening and I don't think anyone really knows who first figured out the clay on the spine of the sword to differ the tempering trick...

Though L and hopefully other's would like this video. This guy's reaction time and pure skill is super human:

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Crappy shots (horrible light in my pad after sun sets), so quit after taking only a few, but here are a the ones I took that a couple folks asked for. When I have time, I'll get some proper ones taken and loaded up.

Thanks again for all the input.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1998.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1996.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1995.jpg[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Wow, that is awesome. Love the literal English translation, sword a long one. Lol.

That's what she said... blush whistle

Fought it for hours, but in the end simply could not resist. Apologies for my moment of weakness...

grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

Thank you for sharing them and their history.
Not that I needed to know your history of wearing skirts... grin

Ed

The 'skirts', eh? OK, I can see I am dealing with another hater. Wait a sec. Are you...you're not...an Englishman, are you? Well, if so, here's one use of the 'skirt' for ye, mate.

[Linked Image]

blush whistle wink

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Another instance where I am not bothered a whit by rocking a...well, a kind of traditional garb that modern men might see as a, well... OK, a man dress, I guess. Though it admittedly pained me some to write that, I like to keep an open mind, brother. After all, sometimes it ain't all about what your buddies think.

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Chako%20and%20Tad/japanseries1077.jpg[/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by okok
What does BTW stand for?

I erred in my last response. A thousand pardons. I didn't do my proper research. I read about it, and the 'BTW' often appears on the finest netsuke. They're the initials of a man who washed ashore on a Japanese island in 1701, the sole survivor of a spice trader shipwreck. The man's name was Buford T. Wustice.

Alrighty then, I believe it's time to call it a night...

wink Just funnin' ya bud. wink

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rattler

for the time period? hell it is outstanding metal craft for any time period.....cant reproduce it now other than to do it the old way, sure you can use auto hammers instead of apprentices manually hammering but other than that you still need a master craftsman to make them today to the same level of quality...

I stand corrected on my poor choice of words, and I agree.

Way back when, finished 'katana' (the so-called long swords), prior to being presented to a wealthy client--be it a lord or samurai--who'd commissioned them, the swords were tested. The best and most practical medium available? Cadavers.

A properly made katana, battle ready, in the hands of a skilled swordsman, would consistently cut bodies hung from trees in half with a single, powerful stroke.

'Looks nice, but lemme' test this here blade out, Charlie. You didn't exactly take it easy on the price, y'know...'

'Aw quit yer bitchin'. If you can't whack those three bodies in two with a slice apiece, I'll eat my hat'

Good times.

Last edited by kamo_gari; 03/23/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In one of my first philosophy classes at UA when the section on moral relativism was taught, the example of testing a shinken was given.

Except in our example the book read that it was acceptable for samurai to 'test the sword' on the peasant class. A shinken (real/true sword) would cut through a peasant from clavical to just above the opposite hip bone. If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Someone please bust out with some variety of a Kobe beef joke soon. It'll be a crime if someone doesn't swat this outside hanger right over the fence...

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The DC area has many former government employees who've served extensively overseas and picked up a lot of "stuff". I've bought several interesting firearms from some of these folks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kamo, great pictures!

I'm just amazed at so much art condensed is such a small piece.
Any idea what tools were used for such intricate carving?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Someone please bust out with some variety of a Kobe beef joke soon. It'll be a crime if someone doesn't swat this outside hanger right over the fence...

If it was a West Texas cow like those curdog4570 showed in his thread, the Katana wouldn't make it through the hide, much less all the way through the body!
Only way the Katana could cut through a cow is if it WAS Kobe beef...tender, tasty, gooooood! grin

(How'd I do, Leighton?)

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

If it was a West Texas cow like those curdog4570 showed in his thread, the Katana wouldn't make it through the hide, much less all the way through the body!
Only way the Katana could cut through a cow is if it WAS Kobe beef...tender, tasty, gooooood! grin

(How'd I do, Leighton?)

Ed

6.9 Not too bad for a first swing. wink smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OK, how about;

The Japanese HAD to come up with Kobe beef because they sure couldn't make a knife sharp enough to cut beef from anywhere else!

BTW, WHO but the most inscrutable Japanese would think of applying "couch potato" methods to cattle to make them fatter and more tender? laugh

AND develop metallurgy that has taken centuries of study to even come close to duplicating?

Not to mention sashimi, sushi, and miso! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A shinken (real/true sword) would cut through a peasant from clavical to just above the opposite hip bone. If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Clavicle Schmavicle....everybody knows the real test of a shinken is that neat Onion/Volcano trick they do at BeniHana's..?

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hey Ed, you need to ask DW444 for some lessons. Only took him one line to knock you out of contention. wink smile

Well played, DW. 9.6! wink

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16036274NPTQq7zE

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.