Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Recently read an article about converting to a sort of hand rifle as a cheap back packing or truck gun. Definitely want to do one as a project when time allows. Strictly as a cheap survival type gun works well.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, IF you want a pretty handy one, get the M44 carbine. They kick like a Missouri Mule, but they sure as hell carry the mail. I NEVER laugh at Russian guns,ammunition or poison gas. They have been EXTENSIVELY field tested and always work. Seriously though a Mosin-Nagant is dang near foolproof. They had to be. The OLD Russian soldier was the poster child for ignorance and hamhandedness. About as close to indestructible as I have ever seen.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tbear
Recently read an article about converting to a sort of hand rifle as a cheap back packing or truck gun. Definitely want to do one as a project when time allows. Strictly as a cheap survival type gun works well.

Kinda heavy for a back pac rifle. I have two a long rifle I put a scope and black stock on , it's very accurate. the other hos been bubbied up . I may see how light I can make it. would be an intersting project. I once did a 95 mauser and got it to 3 1/2 lbs. looked good and shot good, a buddy talked me out of it. grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I read somewhere, probably on here, that the carbines tend to shoot better groups when the bayonet is extended. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, they do shoot appreciably better with the bayonet extended.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B2

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess the bayonet dampens the barrel?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The more I shoot older military rifles of all types the more they impress me. Moisins, Mausers, Enfields, Ariskas, Springfields, M-1s, SKS, etc.

There's a considerable difference in the quality of some but all seem to be built to a level of quality that will keep them operating effectively under the worst conditions.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get an M-38. It is a carbine without a bayonette. It is a really nice little rifle and they shoot great. Also, there is a trick to making the safety as easy to use as any other safety. Don't use your fingers to try to turn it, it is too stout. Grasp it with the fingers on your right hand and put the butt in the crook of your right elbow and use that leverage to pull the safety. That makes it as quick and easy as any other safety. And it is a really foolproof bombproof safety as is the everything else on the rifle.

If was going to be dropped off on a deserted planet and could have only one rifle and knew that it absolutely had to last the rest of my life and could not break, I guess I would take that M-38 and a 1,000 rounds of ammunition and call it a day. I think you could beat on one for a day with a 2 pound hammer and not do much damage to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inherited a badly sporterized 1938 MN from my FIL.

Butt cut at a 45 degree angle and a pad put on, front wood trimmed back.
I never thought of shooting any of the vintage Norma ammo that came with it, so it went into the safe.

Sacramento flood duty brought me to the Great American Gunstock Factory in 1997. I bought and installed an english express style walnut stock for the Mosin and put it back in the safe for my son. The old stock was burned in the fireplace.

He has been shooting it for about 3 years now. With the express stock and long issue barrel it looks like a 1900 Mannlicher .256 on steroids!

My kid (16) loves shooting the old Mosin and leaves his Browning Sako Safari in the safe. We have some good hand loads and he rings the 300 yard steel regularly. I even shoot his old "fencepost" once in a while.

They do grow on you!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,308
Posts18,487,182
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.