Print Thread
Hop To
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Looked high and low using the Search feature for Russell Moccassins. Found insufficient info for what I am looking for.

I have a pair of Russell's South 40 Birdshooters and absolutely love them. I can walk all day hunting and shooting in the South Dakota uplands.

But, their not designed for steeper, rockier, rougher and colder climes. I've researched alot of different web sites, looking for opinions. Seems alot of people like and dislike Danners, Meindl's, Lowa's and Russell's. I wanted to get some input here from this group on Russell's for mountain elk hunting. I won't even consider Rocky's; POS! The things I like about the Russell's are the custom fit/built to my taste options, moccassin design which my feet seem to love and the opportunity to get them fixed/resoled in the future.

Big Al

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a pair for ten years and they have made 6 or 7 trips to the Crazy Mountains in Montana for Elk. I LOVE them but some others do not seem to. To me, they are the best you can get for the money. Just sent mine back to be resoled and at $50 that is a real bargain! JMHO TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
TM,

What model do you have and how did you have them built? What custom options?

Big Al

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cripes, I can not remember what I had for lunch and your asking me about boots I ordered 10 years ago. (grin) Not sure the name but they were specifically for mountain type hunting. Call them and they will tell you what is best. I got the 8 inch boots with 400 grams of thinsulate. Believe if I had it to do over again, I would do 10 inches. Other than that, I am mucho happy with them. Be very careful measuring your feet and make sure you wear the socks you will hunt in. It is very easy to cant the pencil one way or the other, making the boots too tight or too loose. It has to be held perfectly straight all the way around. My wife did it for me and got it right about the 3rd try.

Like I said, I love mine and they have been through some rough country. Would not hesitate to take them to the mountains after elk again tomorrow. TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,871
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.