Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dats what we call an "on/off" switch in the biz...a good dog has it...

[Linked Image]

Frinstance...I had this dog kickin' my azz on the Schutzhund field and ten minutes later, inside on the couch, she is shoving some ridiculous stuffed toy in my face, trying to get me to play grin

Yep very educational for me smile

Friendly as he was, however, I did not tell the Giant Schnauzer he looked foo-foo. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It is truly what makes dogs like that fun! grin

People look at me like Im crazy when I tell them such and such dog kicked my azz...and is a REALLY nice dog! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
not all birddogs just hunt ask the guy that broke in my house with a 80lb germanwire sleeping in my chair. lost a little blood he did from what showed on the living room hallway and bedroom oh and window he went out.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd forget about the German Shepherds and find yourself a good Mexican Shepherd like Luke:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

They are the perfect dogs for females and this particular Mexican obeys and sticks to my wife like glue.

Socialize...you will thank yourself later...:)

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now that it friggin' FUNNY!!!

Is he legal? wink

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No papers...:)

picked him up behind bars as a stray pup in Cadillac

Defend the Constitution
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ICE will be lookin' for him. Better hunker down or move to California.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Yowza!

I would really like to know just where he came from, of course around here who knows.

How old before he starts barking and defending his turf? Seems like most random pups need to be at least a year old before they show any 'mean'. Guessing Bowser is 9-10 months old now.
You mean you found that dog? Nice find.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back in the early 1990s, my dog squad (one male Doberman and one female Pitbull) had an interesting encounter with an intruder. They had their own doggy door from the house into the fenced in backyard. The gate to the yard was locked. The electrician decided to come a day early, because he happened to be in the neighborhood, to install the new pool heater. He rang the doorbell and found out no one was home, but heard and saw that the dogs were secured in the house, so he figured it was OK to go into the backyard to do his work. He found the gate locked tight, so he climbed it. The dogs saw him, however, through the sliding glass door, stormed through the doggy door, and ran to him at top speed. The Pitbull grabbed his pants and started pulling him to the ground. The Doberman was the leader, however, and hadn't yet decided that violence was called for, so he grabbed the Pitbull by the collar and dragged her off. The electrician figured that was his cue to leave, but when he started for the fence, both dogs charged him again, and the Pitbull again grabbed his pants, but the Doberman again grabbed her collar and dragged her away, making his point more forcefully this time, getting between the Pitbull and the man, not letting her near him. The Pitbull now decided to keep her distance and stay out of it. The man once again figured that was his cue to make for the fence, but the Doberman wouldn't have any of that. He ran in front of him and blocked his path with a very serous and guttural growl while baring his teeth. He wanted him to stay put till the humans arrived home, but the man started taking small backwards steps to make gradually for the other side of the yard, eventually, after a long while, making his way to the fence and then a quick jump for it and over.

He reported in detail those events to us the next day when he showed up for his scheduled appointment.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Dats what we call an "on/off" switch in the biz...a good dog has it..
My protection trained Doberman was just like that. Loved anyone he was introduced to, but would attack on command.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
these dogs are just flat impressive, i have always had golden retrievers, but i am definitely waiverig, discussed this with the wife last night and she said she was afraid the czech would "munch" on her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEtyDJCOsc&feature=related

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all:

Original Poster here.

Thank-you for all the input. I will be sharing this with Mrs. Mama because, as one poster stated, she is in the mix as well.

It sounds like:

-Female
-Short hair
-"off colors" are very ok
-AKC may be a better social fit
-Personally, I think the sloping back is as attractive as sagging pants.....maybe it is my livestock orientation but I like straight, level backs.
-X-ray the hips
-Make sure all family members spend time socializing with the dog each day
-Work is good
-Exercise is good....maybe I found my running buddy.
-Excellent dogs can be found behind the bars in Cadillac....good fishing as well. How are the dogs in Mesick, Irons and Brethern?

Did I leave anything out?

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Exercise is good damn near mandatory....maybe I found my running buddy.

Just a minor tweak grin .

Also, I'll add to the socialization aspect as it's one of my mantras with handlers (harp on it for the new, reiterate for the experienced).

George's Rule #18: Get thouself to as many dog parks, pet stores, malls, etc. as you can.

Socialization is just one tiny baby-step down from obedience in "must haves".

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O hips....

An xray pf apuppy is a good idea but it is just as napshot of the current status. Good to have, but no insurance against problems down the road with growth, aging, traumas etc.

Having a record of the parents' hips gives you a much bigger comfort zone and thus reduces the crap-shoot odds a lot but again there are no guarantees. In my book that is one of the best reasons why I would deal with a reputeble bteeder.

1B

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was told by a Vet's assistant that there was a good breeder of flat-backs in the Cadillac "area"--she postulated that is where the Mexican saddleback probably came from.

can check if you like...

Running-wise they are fantastic companions...they do tend to stick to the plan, so vary a bit. By socialize I meant taking it out in public to be around strangers so the dogger socializes with other humans and not just its pack. That is what we did, anyway.

I would never worry about him lighting up if the time came, no matter how metro he got...:)

FWIW, IMO, if it is to be daughter's designated dog, it may help the bond between them if she feeds/snacks the dog and also runs the dog.

Defend the Constitution
JoeMama Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[img]http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t460/JoeMama602/[/img]

Hello all:

Thank-you for the help you gave me back in March. Here is the new addition to the family. He just had a bath.

Last edited by JoeMama; 07/06/12.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful pup. Congrats!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tell us more! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a GS once. She was OK but nothing to write home about personality/smarts wise. My mother in law has a purebred shepherd now and I hate the [bleep]' thing with a purple passion. If it wasn't hers, I'd kill it with a rock in a heartbeat without a second thought. The best thing about that dog is I just got a mongrel half breed beagle/pitt cross that loves to beat the schitt out of it at every opportunity and it's funny as hell watching that stupid shepherd TRY to dominate Bubba over and over and get it's ass kicked over and over.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's a dandy.

Nothing like being adopted by a puppy.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 20 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.