Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here's a more "official" description.

The humble beginnings of Gaited Mountain Horses evolved alongside the Appalachian heritage of the people who settled in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. The Kentuckians� principle objective was to breed a multi-purpose horse that could work the land, be ridden in style and comfort, and serve as an important economical asset. The horses had to be tough to survive the rugged mountain lifestyle, versatile to perform multiple tasks, and have a gentle, willing nature.
Gaited Mountain Horses descend from the Narragansett Pacer, Spanish Jennet, and ambling Galloways of Colonial times. These breeds were well known for their comfortable gaits and willing attitudes, which were an absolute necessity if you spent countless hours in the saddle as your primary mode of transportation.
According to oral history, there was a gaited colt brought from the Rocky Mountain region of the United States to the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in eastern Kentucky around 1890. He was referred to as "the Rocky Mountain Horse" by the local Kentucky people because of the area of the country from which he had come. Little is known about this foundation stallion, but oral history indicated he was chocolate-colored with flaxen mane and tail, and he possessed a superior gait. The stallion was bred to the local Appalachian saddle mares in a relatively small geographical area where the basic characteristics of the strong genetic line we know today was established. This prized line of horses increased in numbers as years went by, branching out in similar, yet distinctively different ways. These are the horses known today under the registries of Mountain Pleasure Horse, Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse, and Rocky Mountain Horse.
Gait
The distinctive, easy riding gait is difficult to describe, but once you've experienced it, you won't settle for anything else. The horse does not trot; but instead moves each foot independently and laterally - left hind, left front, right hind, right front absorbing the bounce of the gait in its ankles, rather than passing that bounce along to the rider.
The Rocky Mountain Horse Association�s definition of this gait is �an evenly spaced, four beat lateral gait with moderate forward speed and extension, without exaggerated knee and hock action.�
The gait is natural. It is maximized by careful selection and responsible breeding, and refined through proper training, consistency and repetition. One of the joys of breeders of Gaited Mountain Horses is to see a young foal �hitting a lick� as it keeps up with its mother�s long strides.
As a rider gets to know his or her mountain horse, they will find the horse can be ridden at varying speeds while maintaining the same smooth, comfortable gait. And there's nothing quite like the �pick-a-pock-a� sound of a Mountain Horse gaiting down a blacktop road.
Versatility
Today, Rocky Mountain Horses and Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horses are being used as a pleasure horses, for trail, competitive or endurance riding, and for show. These horses have a lot of natural endurance; they are sure-footed on rough ground and, because of their gait, they require a minimum of effort by both horse and rider so that together they can cover a greater distance with less tiring.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't remember how they were bred and got that same page after a search. Kind of like the traits of the Morgan they breed in the north. There seems to be some evidence that in the times when people actually used horses, a gaited horse was pretty desirable. Its funny how when I mentioned they had a consistant look, your response was they're Rockys. As a QH guy, and they're all I really know, the bred has been so disrupted by poor Association judging that often QH's do not resemble each other, whereas your horses had a type. I wish someone would save the QH's. Heres a picture of my Grandfather with some type of gaited horse, I think a Walker. [Linked Image]

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember some gaited-breed association (Missouri Foxtrotters maybe?) that used to advertise:

Our gaits are bred in, not nailed on.

Always enjoyed that one.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It is true that the "Rocky's.. as well as the Kentucky Mountain Horse ( pretty much the same thing, for augment sake) All have the genetic's for the gait. Hence they are naturally gaited. Very few breeds are that way.

Too many "gaited" breeds have mechanical methods used to "teach" the gait. Not so with the Rocky's. Yes some Rockies "have it" better than others but they all have it.

They Rocky Mountain Horse association is so serious about keeping the breed pure that to register any horse you have to prove the gait by submitting a video of the gaiting ability and judged by a certified representative in order to receive certification of authenticity that it is indeed a "Certified Rocky Mountain Horse"

The QH breed has been so refined and so specialized by various people for various things that is is so "watered" down that much of the original desirable characteristics are "washed" away.

I've often said to many people. "the worst thing that ever happened to the domestic horse was ... man"

My wife and I have trained several BLM Mustangs. We own as few as well. A true Mustang is an amazing animal. There are certain things in them that you will not see nor find in a domesticated horse... so much so that your training approach is a bit different.

The horse, your horse... is a mirror to your soul and sometimes you may not like what your see. B.B.

An amazing quote that can be applied in many ways.

This is "Smoke" My mentors personal horse, Hell he's more a a father to me than anything. I just happened to capture the "moment" when the horse was looking into me.

I framed this for him in a much larger version. Within the frame it reads

""Where there is "Smoke" there is fire. Burning from a desire to travel trails few have trod.""

Sorry I got side tracked and rattled on...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is someone that knows:

I've often said to many people. "the worst thing that ever happened to the domestic horse was ... man"

My variation on that theme - all their problems are man made.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
"Absolute" statements are "always" wrong! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
OP Offline
Thank you so much for sharing Cocadori! I haven't seen a Rocky Mountain horse up close, but I've worked with a Walker mare before. She was a bit of a basket case, but boy could she move out on the trail. Once I worked out some of the kinks, her owner sold her for a lot more than I could have afforded to pay at the time. I was honestly sad to see her go.

Please PM me with any prospects you'd like to share--they look like really nice horses!

If you are not willing to go back every day and start over, you should not have started to begin with--because, you might have to start over a lot of days in a row before it carries over from one day to the next. BUCK BRANNAMAN
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
"Absolute" statements are "always" wrong! smile

It's a definite possibility of an absolute maybe.

I'm wrong often but not in this case.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the information.

Do the Rocky's have wide shoulders like the morgans? Are they hard to get a saddle to fit right?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nope not at all. Not broad like the morgans or quarters. Not too narrow either.

My Wife and I have various McCall Saddles ( lady wade and NW Wades ) they seem to fit just about most of the horses we have. Between the 4 saddles we can find one that fits correctly.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting. I'm coming aboard late here. Have to agree with you totally on how the specialization of the Quarter Horse is ruining the breed. Still, I am a little wary of alternatives as I've seen them come and go as I enter my 60th year. So, with your horses, how is their headset, what's their typical size, and do they take to cow work instinctively? Sorry, if the questions are repetitive.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Cocadori PM inbound
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For those that buy/sell horses: (Would like to address mules later on)

A good all around horse for trails, hunting, chasing cows etc..

What do you specifically look for when going to purchase a horse to train/resell or keep?
How does one look at a herd and pick one out? What subtle charactistics are hints at quality?
Finding a a trusted knowledgeable person to help is a blessing, but am looking for a bullet list to help train my eye to be able to pick out quality.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cacadori
I was reading over the description of your horses and am trying to figure out if you might be describing a single footed gait. Just wondering. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan, instead of training one you may want to look at some large ranchs and see if they have a quiet 6 -10 year old gelding they've used for the last 3 plus years. Look for a horse with a great mind and great conformation. I started to make a list and it got too long really quick, and there was no end in sight. A brief discription would be straight legs, good bone, short back, low set hocks, short pasterns, good whithers, nice throat latch and tie in,good heels, strong in the loin, and funny enough i don't tend to like a high set tail.

If you could find a picture of a horse by the name of Stoli, he's about what I think a good looking horse looks like.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Richard.
At this time it is a mental exercise on what to look for. What outward signs let you know a horse has a good mind? Curiosity, stability, calmness?

Some people just have an "eye" to be able to tell. I'm trying to get more knowledge under my belt. A new horse for me is a couple of years down the road, but it will be mature and experienced as well as smooth gaited horse/mule. (I am a closet mule person)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like too much white in their eyes, and their eye shouldn't be rolling around in their head either; kidding but true.

I'm not too sure about outward signs. I do like to see how a horse reacts under pressure. If you really start pressuring a horse they'll always go back to the first things they learned, and that will tell you a lot about their training foundation. Getting them out of the enviroment they're comfortable in, start asking them and see what you get.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And a single swirl on their forehead.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
or neck....

been awhile since i heard that one ironbender.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I don't like too much white in their eyes, and their eye shouldn't be rolling around in their head either; kidding but true.

I had one of those, he was one weird horse. Sucked up to one of my other geldings that would tolerate him and would go out of his mind when I would separate them. Also pay close attention to their feet, the horse is only as good as the foundation they are standing on. A 16+ hand 12-1300 lb horse should have # 2s all the way around. Try to avoid excessive pigeon toeing and make sure the grow some heel or you could be keeping shoes on them year round.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (3040Krag, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 49 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.