Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think Geraldo is right. He said what many are thinking. I tell my students over and over that the way in which they dress and the way they carry themselves sends a message to the world. The problem is many teens can't see or understand that the world often interprets the message they are sending differently than the message they think they are sending. I guess that's why I'm "old school" in my classroom rules. No food, no drinks, no cell phones, no coats, no jackets, no hats, no hoddies, no sun-glasses etc.

Geraldo Rivera has outraged African-Americans and Latinos by blaming the killing of an unarmed black teenage on the hoodie he was wearing.

�I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin�s death as much as George Zimmerman was,� the Fox News host said Friday on Fox and Friends.

Martin, 17, was shot and killed Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., by Zimmerman, a 28-year-old neighbourhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman was not arrested because police said there was no evidence to contradict his claim that he fired in self-defense, the LA Times said on its site.

�Trayvon Martin, God bless him, an innocent kid, a wonderful kid, a box of Skittles in his hands. He didn�t deserve to die. But I bet you money, if he didn�t have that hoodie on, that nutty neighbourhood watch guy wouldn�t have responded in that violent and aggressive way," Rivera is quoted as saying in the LA Times.

In an articled in the Washington Post, Alexandra Petri wrote, "Clothes may make the man. But they don�t make you kill the man. It�s your inability to see that there�s a person under them that does." Many protesters marched in Philadelphia on Friday, many sporting hoodies in support of Martin.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And short dresses make women get raped.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm NOT blaming the victim.

But if you adopt the dress of a "gangsta" - people might just view you as a "gangsta".

I don't think a woman in a miniskirt puts fear in anyone's heart.

Big teenage boys can.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that you know exactly what the victim looked like the night of his death.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My rain jacket has a hood....

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there are some areas in Philly and Baltimore where I will not wear my Hermes silk scarf. Better to avoid trouble

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From now on when the weather gets bad I will just wear a tank top. Looks like it could save my life.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yep, ball cap and dark glasses will get you dead too... apparently!

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
kids that are enamored of the thug life, and dress the part, are only contributing to the problem.
Looking like a thug is supposed to scare Whitey, I guess. Evidently it does tend to put folks on edge.
I know I keep a weather eye out for young kids that are dressing, and acting in a threatening manner.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of you folks have the good fortune to reside in an areas NOT plagued by the gangs. Just a hoodie really isn't the only or best alert indicator. One learns to watch for colors. Ya get pretty good at spotting them too.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, 'cause so many retired guys who look like you go out and commit violent crimes. I bet a lot of people see you coming and walk across the street just to avoid you.

Your right in that a hoodie alone or most any form of apparel is not a major indicator. But choosing to dress a certain way says a lot about your attitude. Life is a costume party to some people. Some kids like to dress a up as intimidating monsters.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Where I now live sporting a blue bandana (Sureno) in a red (norteno)
Neighborhood will result in a short life Span.

4 gang shooting in the past few days

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Yeah, 'cause so many retired guys who look like you go out and commit violent crimes. I bet a lot of people see you coming and walk across the street just to avoid you.

Going out to feed in the morning wearing nothing could get me shot too. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just because a young girl dresses like a whore doesn't mean she is one. But I do know that it will get her treated as one.

A person only gets one chance to make a first impression. It helps a lot if they make it a good one.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Rivera seemingly has not said is that it is not the "hoodie" in and of itself that is the issue. The issue lies with what that hoodie and other such symbols have come to represent in many places.

In some locales, people do experience personal threat created by high rates of crime - ranging from petty to serious. Add to that the fact that, in many such places, the vast majority of the crime is committed by black men - young black men - resulting in stereotyping, fear and expectation factors that are understandable. So, in some cases, the "uniform" can matter - a lot.

Rivera also does not mention that, for more than 50 years, our society increasingly has set in motion, funded and perpetuated many" government" programs that foment and nurture the deplorable situation extant. Thus, we citizens have added to the problem (even when not noticing or speaking up) by purchasing the conditions which some among us now fear.

We all seem to realize that none of the above is a reason to purposely harm or kill another person in a given circumstance, or an excuse for doing so. But, it would be stupid to ignore the significant data.

The death of this young person is so regrettable, and who among us should be calling him "gangsta" or the shooter "nutty", or using other such labels, or placing any blame, until the full story is understood. Regardless of what the full facts reveal, it is going to be a sad saga. In many ways, we all have contributed to writing the story.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

grinClose to justifiable homicide on the grounds it could destroy one's eyesight grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by Scott F

grinClose to justifiable homicide on the grounds it could destroy one's eyesight grin

Well it would not me indecent exposure. It was 26 here this morning when we went out. At that temperature there wouldn't be exposure at all! eek

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
WTF is a hoodie? a hooded sweatshirt? Who doesn't own a hooded sweatshirt?

Murphy was an optimist.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Who would want to look like a whore that was not a whore?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Flyfast
WTF is a hoodie? a hooded sweatshirt? Who doesn't own a hooded sweatshirt?

Me. Don't own one, with hood or without. Guess that makes me a raciest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

47 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,436 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,080
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.