Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
...but had a Marlin XT .22WMR NIB . Was a little reluctant, but for $200....what the hell.

Glad i did. With the Hornady 30g Vmax bullets, this thing is unbelievable.....

Funny, while out running earlier this evening, I hit a local store that had an XT-22 on the rack. Being unfamiliar with it, I asked to see it. Seemed pretty basic and no-frills, but like you say, at $200... whistle

I didn't take it, but thought about it.

Sounds like yours shoots pretty good. Anything else to add on it, good or bad?

With most guys here now saying go 22 Mag over the 17 HMR, maybe I'll go back tomorrow and pick it up (it's on sale through tomorrow night).

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have owned and killed stuff with both. In my opinion no rimfire kills with the 22 mag (except maybe the 5mm rem). The problem with the 22 mag is I have never owned one that would shoot very well and I have owned some with high dollar price tags. Most would be lucky to shoot 2 inches at a 100. Around here a 22 mag is considered a good deer rifle and lets just say it works...grin

Every 17 hmr I have owned would shoot. The 17 kills ok but does not seem to kill with same authority as the mag. I have also always been able to kill way farther with the 17 than I could the mag.

If bigger animals are going to be shot go with the mag. If smaller critters are going to be shot go with HMR.

Dink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DINK
I have owned and killed stuff with both. In my opinion no rimfire kills with the 22 mag (except maybe the 5mm rem). The problem with the 22 mag is I have never owned one that would shoot very well and I have owned some with high dollar price tags. Most would be lucky to shoot 2 inches at a 100. Around here a 22 mag is considered a good deer rifle and lets just say it works...grin

Every 17 hmr I have owned would shoot. The 17 kills ok but does not seem to kill with same authority as the mag. I have also always been able to kill way farther with the 17 than I could the mag.

If bigger animals are going to be shot go with the mag. If smaller critters are going to be shot go with HMR.

Dink

Dink's right. I've heard stories of guys in the old days taking their 22 mags and shooting deer with good success...I don't condone it but I hear they work quite well....My chuckster 22 mag shoots great though and I've got a friend that shoots a marlin 983 that has the same luck with his rifle. This old chuckster still puts them into 1/2" at 50 with 3 different types of ammo after numerous times to the range to find those winning combos...The 17's that I've had experience with don't seem to be as fincky as the 22mags. Here's a good shootin old 22 mag:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the make and model of your rifle?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by barm
I ain't the guy you were askin', but it's a Mossberg 640 Chuckster, and his is in particularly good condition.

One of my cousins has one, and I'm gonna try to talk him out of it, next time I see him.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think that is the first Mossberg I've ever seen that I liked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ratsmacker,

Thanks for the i.d. on the rifle. I have never seen one and I like what I see.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ColdBore
Then yesterday, we hit a local gunshop while out running around, and they had a very nice used Marlin 17VS sitting on the rack.

I was finally able to get back there today.

Sure enough, it was gone.

So, that helped to make my decision a little easier. whistle

Now looking for a good 22 Mag.... cool

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would recommend the CZ 452 and 453 rifles in whatever catridge you decide to get.

Saw a very nice, used, 452 American at another shop last week. It was quite nice, but priced at $450, which seemed to be at the top end after doing some online searching.

Sure did seem like a nice rifle though...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I ain't the guy you were askin', but it's a Mossberg 640 Chuckster, and his is in particularly good condition.

One of my cousins has one, and I'm gonna try to talk him out of it, next time I see him.

Yep, that's what it is. An old mossberg chuckster. It is damn accurate, almost to the point it's scarry....It has the 24" long barrel on it and is a joy to shoot. My dad used it when he was a kid so I had to replace the inards with new stuff so it's like new on the inside (firing pin, hammer, extractors, etc, you name it, it's got it...). Plus he took really good care of it and the stock and metal are in excellent original shape. It's got an old weaver 3-9x40 on it. Great little squirrel and coyote gun....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coldbore,

I paid around $400 when I bought mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bsa1917hunter,

I am going to keep a lookout for the Mossberg Chuckster when I look through the used gun rack smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are great rifles known for having great accuracy...Good luck in your search...

Keep an eye on this one. It is exactly like what I have (640KD chuckster), and this one is in excellent condition. I'm curious as to how much it will sell for too. Probably in the neighborhood of $300.00+ or so....:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280418693

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had four different chucksters back in the day. One was very accurate, the other 3 were pretty ho-hum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Coldbore.........

I ended my search with a Ruger 77/22 VBZ. Other then heavey trigger (currently fixing that), shots LIGHTS OUT with Rem Prem vmax 33gr.

My choice came down to this gun or that CZ 452 american. Good luck finding and deciding on the gun....thats HALF the fun!!!

Hey... any chance you still have that .223 with douglas bbl still laying around? wink

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
I ended my search with a Ruger 77/22 VBZ. Other then heavey trigger (currently fixing that), shots LIGHTS OUT with Rem Prem vmax 33gr.

My choice came down to this gun or that CZ 452 american. Good luck finding and deciding on the gun....thats HALF the fun!!!

Had a neighbor/hunting buddy that had one of the Rugers about 20 years ago. I remember at the time thinking that while I had no interest in a 22 Mag (then), that it was a darn nice rifle.

Just can't bring myself to spring for $450 for the used CZ 452 American, when I'm seeing new (leftovers, I know they stopped making them) ones for less than that on the big gun auction sites.

Sooner or later, I'll find what I'm looking for.

Hey... any chance you still have that .223 with douglas bbl still laying around? wink

Check your PMs. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=ColdBoreJust can't bring myself to spring for $450 for the used CZ 452 American, when I'm seeing new (leftovers, I know they stopped making them) ones for less than that on the big gun auction sites. [/quote]

Perhaps true ... NOW add shipping and FFL transfer fees ... how close are the prices now? Sounds like a lotta extra hassle to save $5 - $10.

YMMV

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Don't forget tax on the used one as a retail sale, which offsets the shipping/FFL, and widens the gap back out.

Besides, new vs used, for the same (or less) money)? Which way would you go...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in WA we have to pay sales tax on private party sales that go through an FFL ... If I buy a firearm outta state from a private party, I have it sent as a trade ... therefore no sales tax.

Personally don't sweat a couple bux and would buy locally if its what I wanted ... the extra coin is worth holding it in hand before plunking down my money. I have ordered new and haven't regretted it yet. I also hate waiting. New vs. used don't bug me none ... its not a car. I would worry why a relatively new gun is on the used rack. But I've scored a gem or two that way.

Good Luck with your purchase ... choose a route and avoid the consternation .... you'll sleep better smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had four different chucksters back in the day. One was very accurate, the other 3 were pretty ho-hum.

They can be particular on what ammo you feed them, but once you find what they like they can be tack drivers....atleast this has been my experience. Mine really likes the remington 33 gr. accutip, federal 50g. hollow point, and the cheap winchesters......It doesn't care for CCI's, hornady's plastic tipped bulets, or some of the other lighter federals......

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,131
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.