Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure whether this is the appropriate forum for this subject, but since I've seen some chatter here before on the subject, I figured to start here.

After a long 5 months my Russell, Joe's PH's (Special) showed up on the doorstep today, courtesy of the brown truck. So without hesitation I opened the box and tried them on making sure to wear like socks as were worn when I had my feet measured (at the Russell store). Low and behold, and in general, they seem large. The ball and instep fit well, but the length both in front of the toe and behind the heel seems long, as well as the heel seeming wide.

Has anyone had issues with Russell's fitting, out of the box? If so, did you return them for a re-make, or refit, and what was the turn-around? Don't get me wrong, these are wonderfully made boots - quality throughout - but I guess I expected a better fit on a custom-made pair of boots, that were measured for fit by the Russell folks themselves.

I plan on talking to the Russell folks in the morning, but am trying to get an early feel for what to expect. From the testimonials I heard and read, I expect that they will more than make them right - just not in another 20 weeks frown

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
WiFowler; If the boots don't fit you right, take or send them back to the good folks in New Berlin for reworking/refitting. I have used their boot for over 35 years, and though i've never had them measure my feet, (always used tracings and measurements on their fitting form) i have never had a poor fit in some 14 pair of boots and shoes. They have all been among the most comfortable footwear i've ever owned. My two sets of PH's in split Cape Buffalo are likely the best boots a man can wear. Light, comfortable, and the most durable material on earth!

They also stand behind every shoe they make 100%.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual. If you search on other hunting-related forums, you will find pages of issues with Russell shoes and boots. I have a pair of Joe's PH low safari boots, which I like, but my Sheephunters never came to a successful conclusion. They made them too small, then stretched them to no avail, then completely re-made the boots, but this time didn't include the "pocket" that your ankle bone fits into. They hurt even lacing them up. I finally gave up.

Russell will keep trying, but it's way too much back-and-forth for my liking. I can put on just about any manufacturers boot in size 10 D and it will fit like a glove. If I was to buy another pair of Russells, I would try a pair on at one of the shows, like the Dallas Safari Club, and if they fit, I'd buy them there. The "custom fitting" is for the birds.

Last edited by Biebs; 03/22/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a pair of Russels. They are nice boots. But like you, Biebs, and decent set of 10Ds fit me well. My feet are "normal". Fancy custom boots like the Russells were/are a waste on my feet. A top of the line pair of Danners or Mendeil's or any of a number of others will suit me just fine for less money and hassle.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. As I mentioned, I'll call in the morning and see what the next step is. I'll likely end going up to the store (about an hour away, and 10 minutes from my folks) to get what ever process is decided on, started. As Biebs points out, I hope it's not a back and forth thing.

Interestingly enough, when I stopped in to have my feet traced and place an order, I was wearing a very well worn pair of Danner Pronghorns that fit like a glove. Unfortunately they've seen their better days. I would have settled for another pair (Danners) but the newer Pronghorns seem to be cut slightly different and the fit is way off compared to my older pair. I was also looking for something a bit lighter with a softer sole than the Danner's.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Russell will try to make good on the fit. Two things to keep in mind the lasts they use run large and the moccasin style is not as supportive as some other shoes. What works best for me is to have the shoes large enough to add a more supportive insole, a fairly flat one but with a heel cup. You might try different ones with the boots before any drastic rebuild.

Just to get an idea pull the insoles out of your Danner's or other boots and see how it feels with the Russell's. You lose some of the ground contact feel but not that much.

Many stores like REI and the running shoe outfits will have insoles to try on before you buy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt in Russel boots 100% in Africa. It took longer then hoped for to break in and fit comfortably. However, that passed and now they are flawless.

There was a time when I thought they not gonna work out. Looking back, I would do it again, as they have out lasted anything else made. The thorns would go thru any boot sole ( or truck tire) I have ever worn, when I had these made they lined the boots with turtle skin ( snake proof fabric). I have never had a thorn go thru the bottom yet! They also made a double leather toe cap. This has proven to be an excellent option for the wear and tear on the boots toe which takes a beating in the thorns as well.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience has been different- mine fit too tightly at first. I got a pair of regular PH boots 4 years ago and like them very much. I ordered a pair of the Thula Thulas right after this year's DSC convention. I received them 3 weeks ago (less than 2 months from order to delivery). I love the fit of these boots- the Munson last is perfect for me. I only wish that I had ordered the 4" instead of the 7" version. My wife ordered another pair of the casual collar oxfords at the same time and received them last week.

Who is John Galt?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My experience with Russell was not satisfactory.

My wife was fitted at either SCI or DSC (January) by Russell people at the booth. We needed the boots by July-August for a September hunt. They arrive in time for the hunt but were literally four sizes too big.

Sent them back to Russell with the proper sizing information. We needed them back for our next hunt in April. Again they arrived in time but were still at least two sizes too big.

So after 16 months and missing two safaris I asked for a refund. To Russell's credit they promptly mailed a check.

Last edited by Mike70560; 03/24/12.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
For me Russells were the most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn. When I purchased my first pair they were so bad I was convinced it must be a fluke because so many people hold them in such high regard. The following year at DSC I had different style custom made and they were just as bad as my first pair. I do not dispute anyone else's experience with Russells, but mine was horrible. I actually threw both pairs away as I did not feel comfortable trying to sell them to anyone. One of my posts in the Army was with the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), for those who don't know that means A LOT or road marches; in all that marching I never had blisters like I had when I did a seven mile hike with the Russells.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have two pair of Russell PH's. The first were an awesome fit, the second didn't fit and were returned at SCI. Ditto for a pair made for my wife. We are awaiting the new pairs they are making.

Shoes are a lot like a pair of jeans. Sometimes they will fit, sometimes they won't. even in the same size, It's your anatomy and personal perception that governs fit. Personally, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned are the Courtney Safari's. I have several pair. But YMMV.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Personally, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned are the Courtney Safari's. I have several pair. But YMMV.

I agree, after my Russell experience I purchased Courteney Selous and they are the most comfortable pair of safari boots I have ever worn.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Been waiting for my pair for almost 3 years...

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I have had four pairs and absolutely love every pair I have.

I do have an "odd" size foot, and regular boots just don't work for me.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My Russell mountain PHs were a perfect fit and required no break in. Unless I plan to hunt in severe cold or swamp - conditions they are not intended for - these are my go-to boots for any trip. Several trips to Africa and a fair amount of Western US hunting later, I'd buy them again.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

C
C
I had my feet measured at the DSC show this year and am awaiting the arrival of a pair of modified Thula-Thulas. My son has Russells that he wore to Zim in 2010 and has already had resoled. He bought a pair of Courtenys in Victoria Falls and never could get comfortable in them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I have two pair of Russell PH's. The first were an awesome fit, the second didn't fit and were returned at SCI. Ditto for a pair made for my wife. We are awaiting the new pairs they are making.

Shoes are a lot like a pair of jeans. Sometimes they will fit, sometimes they won't. even in the same size, It's your anatomy and personal perception that governs fit. Personally, the most comfortable boots I have ever owned are the Courtney Safari's. I have several pair. But YMMV.

IMO, it is not Russell's fault that some find the fit perfect and others do not. If you need custom made, you may have problems with any maker. That is a risk that you take. Keep in mind that maybe they should be a bit loose so you can use bulky socks when appropriate.

I wore custom made shoes for decades when I was doing a lot of world travel and could shop for them abroad, and frankly they were not superior in fit to good Aldens or Allen Edmonds. In fact, they often were too tight for hard use like carrying packs, extensive walking, etc. where my feet would swell.

I bought a pair of Russell birdshooters almost exactly 30 years ago, based of the fact that Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, a walking fool, tramped all over the West in his. Like Biebs and BrentD, mine are standard 10Ds and I found the best fit for ME by adding good insoles. My birdshooters went to Africa and a lot of other places in heat, snow, ice, etc. and I still wear them today in Japan. I wonder if they will ever wear out.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have worn Nu Balance walking shoes on four trips, and soon to be five in three months. Personally I have never seen the need for boots in Africa. Good comfortable walking shoes and some leather gaiters and you're good to go.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got measured by Russel last fall at the Vintager's meet here, but haven't ordered yet. I had got a pair from the "off the shelf" but didn't fit the way I wanted them to. I can't wear most store bought shoes, as can't put up with the junky bottoms. New Balance, etc. make my feet hurt. I'm looking for a good set of shoes, like the Thulas and will probably, eventually, get a pair of the Russels, but recently bought a pair (then a 2nd pair) of some ankle high shoes, that are soft leather, but have tough bottoms, made for Wolverine, as they fit right and feel right, though I am going to get a better footbed. I have a pair of Danners from years back, that are hunting boots and feel fine, but are kinda heavy.

Lhookz, why would you "throw away" a pair of boots that cost $100s when they come with a no questions asked refund?? The off the shelf pair I got from Russel didn't "quite" fit right, and I returned them, and got a refund, no problem.

BTW, Danner is now importing a "cheap line" of boots from China, so take note. If they're under about $250, they aren't "real" Danners. I personally feel that , that's a good way to ruin your reputation.

Ghost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ghost, ive got bad knees and as such what shoes i wear matter greatly....though they have good reviews New balance dont work for me either.....on the off chance our feet are similar you might try Columbia for normal shoes/hiking boots.....not all of them work for me but bout 1/3 of their products fit me like a glove.....might be worth checking if you find yourself in a store that carries them... tend to be able to tell right there in the store if they will work or not....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.