-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Does anyone have successful ways to keep the chipmunks out of my travel trailer? Opened it up this weekend and found that they had come in where the wiring loom enters the floor. They put several holes in the plastic visqueen that lines the underside of the trailer and I would like ideas on how to fix the holes (tape?) and also keep this from happening again next fall/winter. Luckily, other than a lot of eaten acorns in the undersink cabinet (and all the mess that comes with eating), there isn't any other damage. Thinking of lining the underside between bar joists with plexi-glass. (the trailer is on a seasonal site with a lot of surrounding oak trees.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have a son with a BB gun?

Red squirrels chewed up sundry items, including a sailboat sail, at my Dad's old 70acre homestead. I was about 10yo, and asked me to "shoot all of them GD red squirrels." Reckon I about did, as the woods were quiet for a few years afterward grin

Last edited by sandcritter; 03/25/12.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before you seal any openings, cover them with newspaper to see if they are active. If the newspaper remains undisturbed for a five days, (wait longer in winter time) then you can close the hole as it is no longer being used. trapping them inside isn't good either.

Copper Stuf-it to seal air holes (also good thermal insulation and duct tape holes in any plastic liners/covers.

rat snap traps will get them as well. Wafarin poisons.

Shooting takes a lot of time with chips since they are burrowers and darters.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I haved owned a couple of house cats that were expert chipmunk
slayers. One cat got to where he only hunted chipmunks and didnt even bother with mice.

B
OP Offline
B
1. Shooting them, while entertaining for me and my boys, wouldn't sit well with the campground staff I assume.
2. After seeing the mess they can make, I think I'll set some traps this summer.
3. One of my vendors can set me up with some super-adhesive 3m tape that I can use to tape the holes in the plastic.

If I successfully close up all points of entry, will they 'claw/chew' their way in thru the plastic next fall?

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd be tempted to line the underside with "rabbit wire" (1/2" X 1/2" squares)- be sure no plumbing or electrical can rub on it.
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of these will do it. wink

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a lot of problems with the little rodents around my house. There seem to be hundreds of them. I can't shoot enough of them to keep their numbers down so I came up with a trap (fatal) that works very well. I fill a five gallon bucket a little over half way with water. I then float sunflower seeds on top so the water is completely covered. I add a small ramp from the ground to the top on the bucket and put a trail of seeds on it. They can only tread water for so long. I sometimes find up to eight of them in the trap when I get home from work. In the beginning of summer I may put out three of four traps. Last year I killed 93 of them. I think the fewest I ever got in a summer was fifty something.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Jericho
I haved owned a couple of house cats that were expert chipmunk
slayers. One cat got to where he only hunted chipmunks and didnt even bother with mice.

We had one barn cat that was always keeping the 'munks down.
But he would catchem and play with them for a while.

His favorite game was to take on the back step ( a huge slab of granite in the sun )
bat them around until goofy and let them run across the dooryard. Chase them down and repeat.

His brother was hell on rabbits. And like to take them into the garage for a snack.

I slid in the entrals a couple times!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Before you seal up that underside, place some moth balls inside, then reseal. They hate the stink of moth balls.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A .223 with 12 grains of Blue Dot and a 35 grain VMax works well. The 35 grain Nosler lead free is also good. Both are also pretty hard on red squirrels too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 47 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.