Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
My dad recently started rumbling about wanting a 22 Mag for some close in groundhog shooting (fields too small for centerfires, but wanting a bit more punch than a LR).

Then yesterday, we hit a local gunshop while out running around, and they had a very nice used Marlin 17VS sitting on the rack. Seems that now he's got the itch for something that he has zero experience with. crazy

Anyway, I've always been a straight LR shooter. For those that have experience with the "other" rimfires, two questions...

Would you go 22 Mag or 17 HMR (and why)?

Secondly, can anybody recommend a reasonably priced, accurate, rifle in one chambering or the other?

Thanks!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ColdBore
My dad recently started rumbling about wanting a 22 Mag for some close in groundhog shooting (fields too small for centerfires, but wanting a bit more punch than a LR).

Then yesterday, we hit a local gunshop while out running around, and they had a very nice used Marlin 17VS sitting on the rack. Seems that now he's got the itch for something that he has zero experience with. crazy

Anyway, I've always been a straight LR shooter. For those that have experience with the "other" rimfires, two questions...

Secondly, can anybody recommend a reasonably priced, accurate, rifle in one chambering or the other?

Thanks!

I'll tell you this right now.

I have messed with just about every sub $1K 17HMR bolt rifle made in the last 10 years. I also shot a lot of fine 22 mags during the 20 years bofore that.

For the Money- you WILL NOT buy a better made nor more accurate Magnum rimfire rifle than that Marin 17VS (which is no longer made).

I have never seen one once properly broken in that was not a SOLID MOA rifle with an entire clip full of ammo. Many have crowded 1/2 MOA with their favorite loads.

If your dad gets into the Marlin for the right amount of ($$ $250 or so) then it will be no problem for him to sell it down the road if he wants something different.

One thing to discuss with your dad is IMHO hunting groundhogs with a rimfire magnum(any caliber) is about like hunting deer with a .223. Yes - it will kill cleanly- but accurate placement of the shots is a must- there is no room for error. The 17HMR exterior ballistics help with that greatly. Out to 125 yards is shoots straight as a string and can hit a quarter with it every shot if you are up to it.

Last edited by jim62; 03/24/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had three .17HMRs since they've been introduced, and I concur with jim62's post. I did not sell any of them, but gave one to a friend who just "needed one" since he didn't have one :^) . I've still got two, and will probably add a .22 Mag barrel to the CZ455 just because I can do so.

I've made 250 yard, one shot kills on prairie dogs with my Marlin, something I wouldn't have thought possible. It's a heckuva cartridge for a rimfire.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buy both!! laugh

You live once..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks to all for the positive reinforcement. smile

Looks like a run back to the shop on Monday to sate his appetite. BTW, they want $300 for it, in excellent condition, with some cheapish scope on it. I guess he's not stealing it, but not too far out of line either.

As for this:

Originally Posted by jim62
One thing to discuss with your dad is IMHO hunting groundhogs with a rimfire magnum(any caliber) is about like hunting deer with a .223. Yes - it will kill cleanly- but accurate placement of the shots is a must- there is no room for error.

He's 71 years old, and been killing 'hogs for many many years. He has started hitting a few smaller fields, where a 223/22-250/etc just wouldn't be welcome. He is smart enough to realize the shortcomings of a rimfire (though we've killed a bunch with the straight 22 LR version over the years), so it sounds like it may be just what is needed for some of these places.

Thanks again!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would get a 22 Magnum if you want to shoot groundhogs. The 17 HMR required head and neck shots to anchor the groundhogs I tried to shoot. The 22 Magnum will kill with body shots. The 17 HMR was more accurate than the 22 Magnum, but considering the distances you would be using it, I would not worry about it. I got rid of the 17 HMR and now only have a 22 Magnum and I don't miss the 17.

I would recommend the CZ 452 and 453 rifles in whatever catridge you decide to get.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What does 17HMR ammo sell for in your area? That was the deciding factor for me when I had mine. 17 ammo around here went apeschitt. 16-18 a box. Premium 22mag can still be had for 10-12. If your shooting it in quantity that makes a helluva difference.

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I just bought a box of Winchester 40 grain hollowpoints for $11 and the store also had the Federal 50 grain for $10. I didn't look at the 17 HMR prices, but they have gone up for sure.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The 17HMR is going to be flatter shooting.. but the 22 Mag offers a heavier bullet for a heavier animal such as a ground hog..

I always struggle with the logic on the ones I have.. but for a guy who is 71, actually either one would make perfect sense..

if I make it that far, maybe mine will be more attractive to me then..

I have 22 mags in Marlin and Ruger and also a 17 in both Marlin and Ruger...plus one each in an NEF...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
ever think of down loading your 223 with a Sierra 50gr blitz, better than the 17HMR and 22 mag, and just as loud

Last edited by gemby58; 03/24/12.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
for groundhog a .22 mag hands down

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Buy both!! laugh

You live once..... grin

There, you have it. That's the answer... laugh

I have both. The .22WMR hits with a bit more thump, the .17 HMR is more accurate and has a more effective reach. FMJ CCI rounds in the .17 HMR kills hogs pretty well. Don't try that with the plastic tips. The most accurate .17 HMR round in my Anschutz 1717 is the CCI TNT, using the Speer HP bullet.

IMHO,

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For close in Groundhogs (out to about 125yds) I use my 22 WMR's (Savage/Anschutz 164M and Savage/Anschutz M54 sporters)and they have done a great job with the Rem. 33gr plastic tip bullets.
I'd find a good 22 WMR scope it and go shoot chucks.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dirt Farmer..

try the 22 Mag ammo with the Polymer tips like the 17HMR has.. and you'll find them to be just as accurate...

at least in newer guns... the older ones seem to like the 40 grain bullets..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Dirt Farmer..

try the 22 Mag ammo with the Polymer tips like the 17HMR has.. and you'll find them to be just as accurate...

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot... smile

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dirt Farmer..

Good suggetion except for the 40 grain pills. Luckily mine (old chuckster) likes the federal 50 gr. hollowpoint, which does a great job on coyotes as well as sagerats and other vermin...The 33gr. remington accutip (I think that's what they call them) works like gangbusters in the old girl too (1/2" groups at 50 yards...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Thanks!

To answer your question, I'd look at the savage or marlin 983 bolt action in 22 magnum. I'm like you though, if it's close range I'd opt for a good accurate 22 LR over either one....Much cheaper to shoot and the hp's will do their job..

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/22WinMagnum/983.asp

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dirt Farmer..

Good suggetion except for the 40 grain pills. Luckily mine (old chuckster) likes the federal 50 gr. hollowpoint, which does a great job on coyotes as well as sagerats and other vermin...The 33gr. remington accutip (I think that's what they call them) works like gangbusters in the old girl too (1/2" groups at 50 yards...

Try that Hornady 30gr. Vmax load. A buddy's CZ452 will shoot that load into a 1/2" @ 100 yards with it. I saw it happen, and when he let me shoot it, I could duplicate it. Good stuff, it almost swayed me into a .22 Mag, but the HMR is still my favorite, flatter shooting and better in the wind than most folks think.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22 mag hand down!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dirt Farmer..

Try that Hornady 30gr. Vmax load. A buddy's CZ452 will shoot that load into a 1/2" @ 100 yards with it. I saw it happen, and when he let me shoot it, I could duplicate it. Good stuff, it almost swayed me into a .22 Mag, but the HMR is still my favorite, flatter shooting and better in the wind than most folks think.

Mine didn't like the hornady's. It shot the cheap azz winchester's better....

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.