Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In getting ready for the estate sale at my grandmother's house I found this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Wesson Oil company gave these away in the 30s. I love mayo, and I like it tart/lemony. Also like the thought of herbed or flavored mayo. So many of the ones at the store are sweet. Duke's is good, but making my own is fun. Recipe right on the side of the "device". Yeah, I got a Cuisineart, but the clean up on this thing is actually easier, and makes up for the work put in making it, which is fun.

1 whole egg
2 tablespoons lemon juice or white vinegar (or a combination of the two)
1 teaspoon each of salt, sugar, mustard (prepared mustard, not dry mustard)
dash of pepper
1 pint Wesson Oil

Put all ingredients but oil in the mixer, put the top on. Drizzle in the oil slowly at first, while plunging the emulsifier up and down. Once it starts to thicken, you can add the oil faster. Yum yum! Of course you can play with the recipe to suit your tastes. One word of caution, careful with the salt, it's very easy to over salt it. My first batch "needed salt" after the initial mix, then suddenly was too salty. Been quite a while since I made my own mayo, but I'm always pleased when I get it just right. You can't buy it like that.

In googling up info on this mayo mixer, and looking in my cookbooks, I found most mayo recipes these days call for 2 egg yolks. You'll get a thicker mixture if you use just yolks, more creamy and smooth if you use a whole egg. Apparently "back in the day" mayo was more a salad/greens dressing, and they say in the UK it is still exclusively a salad dressing.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a really neat find!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eh76
That is a really neat find!

My grandparents were depression babies, and were also in the antique and clock business in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. They not only didn't throw anything of value away, it was kept in working order to be kept and used, or sold at shows. There were many neat finds, and many more to come.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have an identical one Jim. It makes good mayo, but I don't find it worth the effort. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool never seen one of those........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Neat find I'll give you 5 bucks for it. laugh Just kidding

I don't feed em I eat em
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have an identical one Jim. It makes good mayo, but I don't find it worth the effort. laugh

Awe, I thought it was fun. 5 minutes effort, and taste like I want it to. That said, it will only keep about a week without all the preservatives, and the recipe makes more than I'd eat in 2 months. I probably won't use it often, unless I want a flavored or herbed mayo for something specific.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I only use mine to make Olive Oil mayo for special events. The end product is light years ahead of even Duke's though, for taste.

Sam......

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I only use mine to make Olive Oil mayo for special events. The end product is light years ahead of even Duke's though, for taste.

That's kinda what I thought I might use it for. And, I guess I can cut the recipe in half with one egg yolk to 1 c of oil.

What Olive Oil do you use?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could make some tastey aioli's with that thing. Never seen those before, I could see it getting a lot of use in my household.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You could make some tastey aioli's with that thing. Never seen those before, I could see it getting a lot of use in my household.

Yep, thought about that too.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You need to be careful...you can bust the bottom out of the jar with the mixer thing. Don't be too agressive. Been there...done that.

Elwood

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
after seeing this i had to go find one on ebay and buy it. love showing the kids how to make stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,343
Posts18,487,754
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.