Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
sell it and go to Africa with another rifle.......

Beautiful rifle! This is the way I'd go.

But it's also very obvious that you want to shoot it. Sometimes you just have to say WTF, and just go for it. You only live once. But if you shoot it I'd not try to sell it afterwards. I'd shoot the hell out of it and build a lifetime of memories!

Eric

GB1

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mouse
Cartod
If those cartridges are 50years old, I'd be willing to bet that powder is like cement. I've broke down some old ammo and I had to use a screwdriver to get out the old powder. Still don't shoot it. Oh yeah, do you also have the box. I'm sure you know all there is to know about this rifle that needs to be known. Thanks for the Winchester HIGH. Just too good.
Mouse
Hey Mouse, no box and besides someone's word, no real proof that it's never been fired.....besides the fact that it appears that way.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Cartod
In that case, if you do want to fire it let me know I will help you christen this beauty with a few known great loads and a dedicated toast to it's life. It would be an occasion. I'm an Ohio boy and would be glad to help you out.
Mouse

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mouse
Cartod
In that case, if you do want to fire it let me know I will help you christen this beauty with a few known great loads and a dedicated toast to it's life. It would be an occasion. I'm an Ohio boy and would be glad to help you out.
Mouse
Cool, I will seriously consider it.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No box? I thought it was NIB.

Let one fly!

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by rifle
Well,that gun is worth about $9000-$9500..just sayin'

Not to me. A gun with no history, no experience, no stories, is just a factory gun of little special interest. It would be shot or sold. Probably sold as I have little appreciation for factory bolt rifles. But if it's worth that to you to hunt with, then hunt it. If not, sell it.

In the end, it is a question that only you can answer.

If it were mine, the answer would be easy.

But you are not the consumer for a rifle like this. Winchestor M70 collectors would be all over this rifle. Without a box it's hard to say that it's unfired because even a fired rifle can be cleaned up to look unfired but regardless if it's in 99%+ condition it's worth quite a bit.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Nope. Leave it alone.

But I would sell it because I expect demographic shifts will gradually soften the collector market. (More collections coming on the market than new collectors getting started.)

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
Nope. Leave it alone.

But I would sell it because I expect demographic shifts will gradually soften the collector market. (More collections coming on the market than new collectors getting started.)
Interesting. What kind of time frame would you assume this softening will begin?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because of the value I would not shoot it. That would be very hard for me to do since I am hunter/shooter before collector. I would be one that would sell it and head to Africa.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
Nope. Leave it alone.

Interesting....also, the guys who create a lot of the demand for pre 64's are not getting any younger.Many of the younger generation doesn't even know what they are.....nor do they care.Heck, most of them think a Classic is a real M70.... grin

Cartod I understand the conundrum.... cry

But by not shooting it,you are not gonna get any more days on earth;be afforded extra brownie points,nor be granted more hunting time.Using a rifle you really like is one of life's simple pleasures.

Posterity will not thank you for leaving behind a mint specimen.....when you are gone,the world will try to graft it from your heirs at the lowest possible price.If they decide to keep it, they will not mind that you enjoyed it while you were here.

So, shoot it,hunt it, or trip it now. Life is too short for dust-gathering safe queens. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm with Bob.

Personally, I'd sell it to one of the pre-'64 collectors who'd pay enough to go on a safari, as several others have suggested. But then I've paid for several hunts (including Africa) by selling rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cartod: Unfortunately I sold my pre-64 458 African BEFORE we knew how rare they were - AND now how valuable they are!
I absolutely would NOT shoot that African - unless money means nothing to you.
If you want to enjoy the thrill of shooting a 458 Winchester Magnum then go buy or borrow a CZ or a Ruger and blaze a way.
That Rifle is simply to valuable and rare to diminsh it by shooting it - just to be shooting it!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I figure it depends on personal taste and situation.Some guys will pay $10-$25k for a custom,wood stocked first class "stopper",like an Echols, or Prechtl Mauser,take it to Africa, and bang away.If this makes a guy grow faint, then he should sell it, use the proceeds for a hunt and buy another rifle.

Like JB points out the money may be better spent on the hunt.I know there are guys who pile up pre 64's like coin collectors,and that's fine, too.I could never get into it and would rather hunt it or sell it,myself.

Not hunting or shooting a rifle like that is like dating a Brazilian Super Model, just to look at her..or drag her out for show when friends pop over....not really the best and highest use.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not so sure about the value of them going down anytime soon. Look at the price of a 1866 or 1873 and all the people who used them originally are dead by now.

Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reelman
I'm not so sure about the value of them going down anytime soon. Look at the price of a 1866 or 1873 and all the people who used them originally are dead by now.
There are new collectors coming into the market every day. There are also collectors leaving the market every day. I just wonder if there is enough jobs and money for new collectors to keep the old guns valuable.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The number of available truly collectible pre-'64's will continue to decrease, due to attrition. Their value will never become less but will continue to increase.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would zero that fine rifle with a 1.5-5 Leupold in a set of Talley QD's, zero the irons at 50 yds, and book a Cape Buffalo and plains game hunt in Africa.

You would be doing Maw Winchester proud. smile

I own no safe queens.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i wouldn't own a gun i couldn't shoot so i'd sell it and buy 8 or 10 shooters. nice gun btw

My diploma is a DD214
Toddly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rem141r
i wouldn't own a gun i couldn't shoot so i'd sell it and buy 8 or 10 shooters. nice gun btw
Oh, i can shoot it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rem141r

Many of us already own so many guns that we can't shoot them all so I might as well have some pretty ones that I don't shoot.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.