Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is the first time that I have seen the three legged deer on my camera. Looks to be doing fine. miles

[Linked Image]

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks to be healthy. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
fat and sleek....amazing what they can tolerate isn't it?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
an old friend, that lived up near camp, would feed deer in the winter, he also hunted, had a doe limp in after hunting season with a front leg shot off, he almost put her down, but she seemed to be getting along ok, she had a fawn that spring, and twins the next year, he pasted before the next winter.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a mowing machine accident to me.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use to hunt a place with a 3 legged doe.....she was off limits......last year we hunted it, she had triplets.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a few tripods over the years and they get along pretty good. I don't believe I have ever seen one that was missing a hind leg though. Anybody seen that? I have seen some crippled in the hind leg but never with part of the rear assembly missing.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seen a doe in Pa. missing a front leg. 3 years we seen her keeping up with the herd just fine. She was off limits too.
Seen another one for a few years in a row. She had a tumor the size of a melon hanging from her neck. It swung from side to side when she ran. Nobody wanted to shoot that one either.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've seen a few tripods over the years and they get along pretty good.

I have seen several but none as smooth as this one. Usually a stump. All on the front. miles

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Why are the 3 leggers off limits?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Not sure. I would shoot one if it seemed to be a cripple and liable to starve, but one that looked healthy except for the missing leg, I would probably admire its tenacity and let it walk. That is assuming that I am not hungry at the time. grin miles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I've seen a few tripods over the years and they get along pretty good. I don't believe I have ever seen one that was missing a hind leg though. Anybody seen that? I have seen some crippled in the hind leg but never with part of the rear assembly missing.

I had a doe on my lease in San Angelo that was missing the left hind leg from the knee down. Most likely she hung it in a fence and struggled until she tore it loose. She was healed up fine, but I put her down as we were on a culling program to reduce the number of does on that ranch. Anything that was crippled, old, or in poor condition got shot.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If it's suffering it's a no brainer. I'd shoot a healthy deer with 3 legs if I had the tag for it.

Set them free again
G
GS Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by bucktail

It would be off limits on our land out of respect and admiration for it's plight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by milespatton

Not sure. I would shoot one if it seemed to be a cripple and liable to starve, but one that looked healthy except for the missing leg, I would probably admire its tenacity and let it walk. That is assuming that I am not hungry at the time. grin miles

That's it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There was a three legged doe in Lauderdale Co, TN that raised a fawn or two every year. If something spooked her, she seemed to be able to cover ground about as good as any of them. She was missing a hind leg at the hock.

Aim for the exit hole.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One year while turkey hunting I saw a three legged doe from about 8yards like that. No sign of a scar, or even a hair missing. I never knew what caused it, but she had no problems getting around.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sometimes it's hard to see the scarring until you get the skin off. One year, we got one that had one of those Brenneke plastic seals that they have at the back of the slug in it's rear leg. It wasn't all that noticeable even with the skin off. There was a little scar tissue around the wound, but it had healed pretty well, considering there had been a 3/4 inch hole through it.

Set them free again
J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for sharing. Saw a doe with hind leg at the hock missing.
Doing just fine.
We tend to let the "different" ones pass also. Missing tale,
Broken nose, and darker ones. Fun to watch them from one year to next.

JCC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they are good cuz you don't need to use a whole tag on one.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 14 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.