Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am kicking around the idea of picking up a springfield XD in .357 Sig. Has anybody owned one? Or a .357 sig for that matter? What do you think of em'?

Last edited by Mattm907; 03/20/12.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Last year I picked up a P226 in 357SIG and plan to get a BarSto barrel for it in 9mm.
http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=226&cco=66

The 357SIG was totally new to me and is a personal firearm for CCW.
I have used the 9mm, and was always choosing +P for it. The SIG cartridge is snappy, and accurate.
Locally, factory ammo cost are higher but it seems 'web sales' are becoming more reasonable.

I like the 124gr bullet choices and the 1350fps loadings.
The Buffalo Bore 1400+ loadings do not seem to perform much different to warrant the additional cost.

My shooting is informal, but with it's flatter trajectory this cartridge allows hits at 100 yards with a minimum of practice.

I do not reload for it yet, but intend to.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My .357 SIG is a SIG 226. It was originally a 9mm, but I got the conversion and now I play with .357 SIG and .40 S&W. The .40 is probably going to be easier and cheaper to load, but I think the .357, which is definitely more accurate, is probably more effective with the right loads. I am loading it and haven�t had any problems using my Dillon 550. I am loading it with 124 gr. Hornady XP bullets using Longshot, which according to Hodgdon is a fast load with fairly low pressure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had an XD in .357 Sig for a while. Good gun - just didn't want to reload for it at the time or pay the cost for factory ammo. Ended up going with 9mm, 10mm, and 45's (1911 and Glock platforms) for most work (and yes - spending a lot on 10mm ammo). If you like the XD - I'd say "go for it". I think the 357 Sig would be a fun toy to have again.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
got one in a glock 31 no problems thus far ( about 4 years)

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Last I heard the Texas Rangers and other Texas DPS Officers were very satisfied with their 357 SIG terminal performance.

And apparently so is the US Secret Service...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great round, snappy, accurate with awesome penetration capabilities to it. If I were shooting through barriers or out in the country then I would get one otherwise I would just get a 9mm.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I thought about getting a .357 sig barrel for my Glock 20 but I think I will wait and get a Glock 32 instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't go wrong with either especially in a Glock platform!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son who is currently serving in the Navy has a Glock 32. We were practicing at a range near where he's stationed a couple years ago. There was only my son an I and a couple of ex-military guys at the range. They were testing out 1911's with newly acquired laser grips at 7 yards and getting around 3 to 4 inch groups. Eventually they came over to say hello and check out what was making that big boom 3 lanes over just as my son was retrieving his target. You should have seen their faces drop when the group came into view - it was easily a 3 inch group but it was fired at 25 yards!

His Glock 32 is completely stock just as it came from the factory, including stock Glock sights. The only addition is a Hogue grip sleeve.

Most of the work we've done for the past 7 years has involved shrinking the group size in his mind. What I mean is most people put a big target out a few yards and blast away at it. I put a red dot the size of a quarter on a piece of white paper and tell him any shot that doesn't touch the red dot is a miss. With additional work on form, trigger control and sight picture, he can easily out shoot the old man, but I'll never admit it, at least not until every shot touches that red dot.

Last edited by walt501; 03/22/12.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by walt501
My son who is currently serving in the Navy has a Glock 32. We were practicing at a range near where he's stationed a couple years ago. There was only my son an I and a couple of ex-military guys at the range. They were testing out 1911's with newly acquired laser grips at 7 yards and getting around 3 to 4 inch groups. Eventually they came over to say hello and check out what was making that big boom 3 lanes over just as my son was retrieving his target. You should have seen their faces drop when the group came into view - it was easily a 3 inch group but it was fired at 25 yards!

His Glock 32 is completely stock just as it came from the factory, including stock Glock sights. The only addition is a Hogue grip sleeve.

Most of the work we've done for the past 7 years has involved shrinking the group size in his mind. What I mean is most people put a big target out a few yards and blast away at it. I put a red dot the size of a quarter on a piece of white paper and tell him any shot that doesn't touch the red dot is a miss. With additional work on form, trigger control and sight picture, he can easily out shoot the old man, but I'll never admit it, at least not until every shot touches that red dot.

i have been buying those little red dot sticky things and use them for both rifle and handgun.
my theory has always been if you can hit the little one inch circles, centermass is not a big deal. Once proficient at shorter distances you just keep moving out and working faster
lot of times instead of using the main target on a sillowette target, i use the "little" man in the corner

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/22/12.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My SIG P229 in .357 Sig is my carry gun. Had it since 1994.

Total reliability and good accuracy too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mattm907
I am kicking around the idea of picking up a springfield XD in .357 Sig. Has anybody owned one? Or a .357 sig for that matter? What do you think of em'?

Neat catridge, but can be challenging to reload. The bullet base is hanging off in space inside the case, so preventing setback in feeding can be difficult.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Neat catridge, but can be challenging to reload. The bullet base is hanging off in space inside the case, so preventing setback in feeding can be difficult.
IMO it is eaiser to load than a stright wall case just remember to head space of the shoulder and use a firm roll crimp .

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

IMO it is eaiser to load than a stright wall case just remember to head space of the shoulder and use a firm roll crimp .

Yea, gotta love having to trim PISTOL brass. Dillon dies are only a C-note.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a G31 and 32. Accurate and dependable, flat shooting and hard hitting. Not much to not like. At first I encountered some difficulty with reloading, RCBS feels compelled to sell 2 die sets like a rifle set for this caliber. Had a bit of case squashing problems, so I got a 9mm neck expander die and this problem went away. I put a fairly stout taper crimp on my reloads and with this bullets will not move back under feeding strain. I get about 1550 fps with 115 grain bullets wout of my 31, about 1475 from the 32. I like this cartridge quite a bit and would recommend it to anyone who had some handgun experience.

Si vis pacem para bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't own one, but the one 357 SIG Glock I have shot was very accurate.

It belongs to our under sheriff, he has carried it since the 357 SIG came out in the Glock, and is very happy with it.

He grew up in a very remote area and is a very proficient handgunner. If he is satisfied with it I think that says a lot. H

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ammo is expensive, but it is not hard to keep a mag-full on a paper plate at 50 yards offhand with my FIL's XD.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.