Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had tree stands stolen and being fed up with it I was thinking of using a ghillie suit of some degree to hunt from the ground while bow hunting. Any one use one with any success? If so which/what style do you recommend for bowhunting? Thanks Ed.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd pass, had one & sold it. It was burlap...if you have to have it, skip the burlap. What has Really been great for me is the asat leafy suit, kinda like a bug suit but far more practical.

http://www.archerywarehouse.com/asat%20camouflage.htm

Good luck!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
have used and harvested deer and turkey.

Stay away from burlap. Too heavy. use the one mentioned above.

too hot to hike in long distances . I throw on a top in my day pack sometimes.

I never leave up stands. I set up and take down. Find a light stand, under 12 lbs , and tree steps where permitted or sticks .

Big benefit for tree stands scent control and less visibility. I love to hunt on the ground but your odds go way up when hunting from an elevated position.

C
C
My only experience with ghille suits is from my paintball days. Since bow hunting is done upright instead of lying down, you'd need the kind of suit that covers the front as well as the back. The burlap kind are hot and hard to clean, but it's easy to add local vegetation to them.

Ghillie suits are fun, but I'd prefer a leafy suit, or a ghille hood that breaks up the outline of the head and shoulders.

"Let us climb a mountain, hanging on by low scragged limbs." - Roger Zelanzany
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used one for a couple years now. Bought it from Cabela's. I don't hunt off the ground but I think it wouldn't last long if I did. I plan to use it open field turkey hunting this year where it won't get snagged. I bought mine because my local does were spotting me in my climber too easily. The suit works well but you have to wear the mask. Seems like those old does spot a human face way too easy. I'll continue to wear a ghillie but it will never fool thier noses so it only helps a little.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have mental pictures of a strand of the suit getting caught up in a bow string....

It makes me cringe and laugh all at the same time!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
How is it for the mentioned conundrum of tangled string in suit. That is what I was thinking of originally and mentioned Ghillie suit as a generic generalization.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wear and arm guard and trim chest area to ensure no problems

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I trimmed my suit and still got the burlap in my string. Unless your gonna use a thunderstick I'd pass for bowhunting purposes.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've seen guys bow hunting wearing those things and always wondered how they kept it out of their bow string, guess they don't... not sure its really necessary for hunting anyway, were not special Op's snipers after all (at least I'm not)... I've never used one and quite honestly don't feel I am handicapped with regular 2D camo. Concealment is more than what camo you have on... keeping still and staying down wind are equally important if not more so IMO. Think about all the guys who killed deer and elk for decades wearing red plaid wool jackets and blue jeans! Seemed to work for them. I've been within 10 feet of a bull elk wearing blaze orange coveralls surrounded by pure white snow. I was still and down wind (and on the ground sitting in front of a tree) and the elk walked right past me (and took a bullet quartering away after he passed). Just my $0.02 worth on the subject.

God Bless America!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.