Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I've always found those bullets to be very accurate. With the .257 Wby, I tried loading long, but found that the gun liked to jump those bullets. Same thing in the .240 Wby. TTSX and TSX like to jump. Loading long didn't work.

Also, in my experience those bullets do best running hot.

But, some guns just don't like certain bullets. You may have one of those guns. But, like other posters have said, work on COAL before abandoning Barnes.

DF

In both directions.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every one of my rifles has responded to the "Kiss lands, find pressure, rock on" way of doing things when shooting TSX's and TTSX's.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jstall,

Contrary to popular belief, primer flatness often has nothing to do with excess pressure. I can explain why if you want, but it's true.

The Ramshot rifle powders tend to shoot their best at maximum pressures, usually at least 58,000 psi and sometimes more. A lot of handloaders get confused by this, when starting loads don't shoot all that well.

I'd start with the bullet seated a little closer to the lands, .03 or even .02, as I've often found them to shoot very well seated close, despite the Barnes suggestion. Keep adding powder until the velocity is up where it should be, at least 3000 fps or a little more.

If the rifle doesn't shoot well at that point, seat bullets deeper, about .03" for each sample.

If that doesn't work, I'd have to ask if you've checking bullet runout on each round.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a reason I click on all of JB's posts!

Good info.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jstall,

Contrary to popular belief, primer flatness often has nothing to do with excess pressure. I can explain why if you want, but it's true.

The Ramshot rifle powders tend to shoot their best at maximum pressures, usually at least 58,000 psi and sometimes more. A lot of handloaders get confused by this, when starting loads don't shoot all that well.

I'd start with the bullet seated a little closer to the lands, .03 or even .02, as I've often found them to shoot very well seated close, despite the Barnes suggestion. Keep adding powder until the velocity is up where it should be, at least 3000 fps or a little more.

If the rifle doesn't shoot well at that point, seat bullets deeper, about .03" for each sample.

If that doesn't work, I'd have to ask if you've checking bullet runout on each round.

More heads spinning and flying into orbit.

Travis

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would start off with a .050 jump, then work up a load. The go to .040 then .060...expect night and day differences.

All tripple shocks in 243, 270, and 7mm I have worked with have shot exceptionally well. I am not convienced that they are a better bullet to hunt deer with vs cup and core bullets and bonded bullets. Partitions are the benchmark in my book.

I have a good bait of .224 caliber Speer 64g Bonded Gold Dots I want to try this fall.

J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the info Mule Deer. I shouldn't have much runout, as I use a Redding Competition seater. So I shouldn't worry about the primers to much and add some more powder. I'm about 3 grs. off of max. (47 grs.) I will try this and see how it works. I would really like to use these bullets if I can get them to shoot.

Last edited by jstall; 03/28/12.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use them in a ruger #1 in 7x57 (160gr), and CZ550 in 9.3x62 (250gr). the #1 will shoot them to close to MOA until the barrel heats up but the 9.3 will shoot clover leafs all day long. the 9.3 is seated .02 off and the 7x57 is just slightly more at .025.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seat depth and a clean bore are critical in loading the TSX for accuracy. I wouldn't mix shooting NBT or other bullets while you are working on getting your tsx's to shoot. If you haven't already, clean out all the copper using a strong solvent like CR10, sweets 7.62 or similar.
Once that is done, I start at .055" off the lands. I have found my best accuracy loading these from .055 to .060 off the lands, loaded up to near max powder.
Seat depth is the most critical factor once you find your max powder charge. In my 7 RM I was getting groups right at MOA, I adjusted the seat depth .05" in and cut group size in half.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's tried everything that Ruger just don't like em period! I on the other hand have had absolutely no problems with 53gr TSX'in my swift,85's in my 243 and 6mm,130's in the 264,140's in the 280 and now TTSX 150BT's in the 300 Win.As others have mentioned my best performance has been with them seated deep off the lands and yes running them on top end seems to help..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7mm-08 - 120gr TTSX, out of a Kimber Montana:

[Linked Image]

OAL 2.75" , 50 gr of Big Game. Work up, that's close to max. I have not chrono'd them as it was raining hard that day, but they grouped well. The barrel doesn't look so hot in the borescope, but it shoots well with TTSX, and Nosler Partitions. Count me as someone who's had good luck backing TTSX's off .050.

Now that said, I was shooting 53 TSX's in my #1 .22-250, and because the brass was new, I purposely ran the bullets touching the lands. The goal was to keep the case head against the breechblock in firing. With a mild charge of Varget it did about an inch at 100 yards, which was better than I expected.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few more comments, since several people have added to this thread:

The reason to start with the bullet seated as close to the lands as possible is that backing the bullet off results in lower pressures. If you start with the bullet backed off, then seat it closer to the lands after working up a "max" load, pressures rise, sometimes a little too much.

I've never noticed much difference in accuracy when shooting TSX's in a barrel that's already been fouled with other bullets. I shoot 'em all the time in previously fouled bores, most often when shooting a bunch of different handloads using a variety ofbullets for an article. Things were different with the older X's, because they fouled so badly, but I haven't found TSX's to copper-foul any more than conventional bullets, and they often foul less.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few more comments, since several people have added to this thread:

The reason to start with the bullet seated as close to the lands as possible is that backing the bullet off results in lower pressures. If you start with the bullet backed off, then seat it closer to the lands after working up a "max" load, pressures rise, sometimes a little too much.

I've never noticed much difference in accuracy when shooting TSX's in a barrel that's already been fouled with other bullets. I shoot 'em all the time in previously fouled bores, most often when shooting a bunch of different handloads using a variety ofbullets for an article. Things were different with the older X's, because they fouled so badly, but I haven't found TSX's to copper-foul any more than conventional bullets, and they often foul less.

Yessir! Never a bad idea to start touching the lands, and work back from there.

I've also found TSX/TTSX bullets to foul very little.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith

I have a good bait of .224 caliber Speer 64g Bonded Gold Dots I want to try this fall.

Where do you find such bullets? Don't see anything like that on Speer's website. thx

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jstall
I have a LSS Mtn. rifle in 7mm/08 that I had tried 120 gr. TSX's in a couple of years ago. 2" @ 100 yds. was the best it would do with Varget. Recently I picked up a blue Mtn. rifle in 7mm/08, tried the TSX's again, this time with Big Game, 3 1/2" @ 100. The bullets were seated .040 off. Both of these rifles shoot sub MOA with various bullets (Accubonds, Bal. Tips, Sierra's) Any tricks I'm missing. Thanks PS I also have some 120 gr. TTSX to try.

All bullets always shoot best kissing the lands at max pressure.........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boxer

"My marked preference is to shoot the X,XFB,XLC,TSX and TTSX with a kiss...just like everything else,if only because things always shoot best that way."

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I used to think this also, but I'm not sure "ALL" applies to the Barnes bullets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What've ya got to lose by trying a kiss?

May work great, did for me.

J
jstall Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Oh I'll try it, especially since the loads are several grs. from max.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing to lose*, may work great, has for me too.

But "always"? Snork

*gotta be extry-careful working towards max in lands contact though IMHO.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,887 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,727
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.