Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Steelhead
270-08

I've been wanting to build one of those...

if nothing else, something to play with..

You would be the only one in camp with that cartridge. That means you could makeup all manner of fables about it and nobody could argue lest they have one made. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Haven't seen any mention of the 155 grain Lapua Mega SP for the .260 on this thread. Slammer bullet IMO, they're all I use anymore for whitetail. Now if you're shooting out past 300, maybe want to load something a bit more streamlined, but the Mega is worth looking at.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've wanted a 260 for too long, one of these days...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Steelhead
270-08

I've been wanting to build one of those...

if nothing else, something to play with..

You would be the only one in camp with that cartridge. That means you could makeup all manner of fables about it and nobody could argue lest they have one made. grin

aww I hunt around the corner from the house... no camp to have it in... also, I don't have equipment to impress people like Schtick...

mine are function.. not to try to impress everyone who want to be impressed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scott, I hear ya smile

The interesting thing I find is - at a SHOT show in the past, upper brass at Hornday told me they were making a new 270 short action round (TC) that would push a 120gr at the speeds of a 270 WCF/130gr load.

Unless he was confused or tried 'substituting' the wording '270 TC' in lieu of the 6.5 Creedmoor - than the plans got scratched.

That said, due to the history/nomenclature of the 270 vs. 6.5s in the USA - I have no doubt a 270TC would have caught on much faster w/hunters than the 30TC (basically a 308 in disguise), and likely the 6.5 Creemoor. A 270 in a short action 'non mag' format had yet to my knowledge been commercialized. Not everyone wants a WSM.

But, no prob, I am very happy w/my 130AB load in the 260.

Las - you might try the 130 AB if you have not yet. And I wonder you mentioned 120s - did you try Barnes in your rifle?

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I always hear of how the 260 is fading away. The 7mm-08 is more common but still not found everywhere. If you reload it's a non issue. I loved my 7mm-08 and only sold it because it was collecting dust and a young hunter needed a good gun. It was a fantastic gun, light and easy to carry, extremely accurate and would knock over deer as well as my 30-'06 did. Either one would be a great deer gun with 120'-140's in the 260 and 139-145's in the 7mm. I think the 7mm-08 will outlast the 260 and there really is no perceivable difference.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Love the .260 cartridge for deer & hogs. I feel the 6.5 has great performance and low recoil.
Had a .243 and 7 mag, but used the .260 for years since it first appeared in Model 7. Sold mine only to thin the herd. Was never worried about which one would last.

JCC

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
How do you choose a favourite child? I would happily carry either...but carry the 260rem now instead of the 7/08. I figure this will be the rifle my oldest boy cuts his teeth on when he gets older, my wife shoots it...so it actually seems to be an all rounder for the family as well as game.

I personally wouldn't be without a 260 now, great little cartridge that does perform above its weight.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LowBC
How do you choose a favourite child? I would happily carry either...but carry the 260rem now instead of the 7/08. I figure this will be the rifle my oldest boy cuts his teeth on when he gets older, my wife shoots it...so it actually seems to be an all rounder for the family as well as game.

I personally wouldn't be without a 260 now, great little cartridge that does perform above its weight.

behind ya a 1000% Mate....

I have 3 factory rifles in 260 and 4 more barrels waiting for their day to be mounted when those might wear out..

great minds think a like!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 260 is one of the cartridges that I really liked and never bought. I figure being based on the 308 case that it will never completely fade away especially given the fact it was a wildcat for sooo long before being commercialized. As long as you can get barrels turned and dies to squeeze down 7-08 brass life will be good. Some day I will get an ultra light rifle with a 22" tube in 260 and retire my '06's.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
...and that will be the day you wondered why you didn't do it sooner ;-)

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny - 'outlast'

The ballistic equivalent to the 260 is the 6.5x55 - Very popular today, developed in 1891...

the equivalent to the 7/08 is the 7x57 aka 275 Rigby - designed in 1893....

Both +/- 120 years old....and doing fine today. No reason why the newer short action offspring will not be here in the 22nd century. Take a look at the 350 Rem Mag - since '65 - now nearly 1/2 a century old - ammo/brass/dies and rifles made today...or were very recently. Why - b/c those in the KNOW recognize it's value.

Lapua felt the need to tool up for brass...they must feel their is a future for the round. As popular as the 308 was/is and will be, there are MANY 308 shooters switching to the 260.

I think the 260 has legs...I chose my cartridges based on needs, and I do handload, but regardless, popularity is not the deciding factor for me.

If one LIKES a round and it does what they user NEEDS - then they should use what they want.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love 6.5's...wish I had a .260 to shoot 129 gr. Hornady's out of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Need" a .260 or 7mm-08 to fill the monster gap between my .257 Roberts and my 7mm RM. (laughing)

The medium-weight 6.5-06AI fits in there but is too heavy to pack around the mountains (it was built for antelope and long range play from a bench). I figure a 20-22" tube with a .264 hole would be just the ticket.

Got a couple of other vacancies at the extremes as well - a .223 to go with my .22-250 and anything in a bolt .35 and up.

Time is running out (turned 61 today) - gotta fill the holes so I can enjoy them before its time to pass them down. wink

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/28/12.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
129s set the bar long ago and are a fine choice....PD.

CH - a mild 6.5 may force you to leave that big 7 at home wink Sure don't miss the ones I had in the past for what I do. 7/08 is also a nice step down in blast/recoil, owned many in the past.

Wish you many more decades of fun!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep, I'm sure of that. I think when I inherit my dads M77 carbine 243 I'll have a longer 260 tube spun on and some stock work done to accommodate a normal weight barrel.

65BR, I wish the 6.5 Rem would come back seeing you mentioned the 350 RM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
129s set the bar long ago and are a fine choice....PD.

CH - a mild 6.5 may force you to leave that big 7 at home wink Sure don't miss the ones I had in the past for what I do. 7/08 is also a nice step down in blast/recoil, owned many in the past.

Wish you many more decades of fun!

Found a very nice walnut/blue Ruger Compact 7mm-08 on Gander's used gun rack today. Very nice wood, very clean, pre-LC6 trigger (not sure if that is good or bad, just a note). A Bushnell Banner scope was in the rings, not sure of the magnification (wasn't interested in the scope and didn't look).

Have to say I was drooling over the rifle as it would fill a long-time want for a 7mm-08 or .260 Rem AND the long time want for a mild but authoritative compact to hump the hills with...

Price tag was $500 and I walked. Might go back to talk to the manager...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Coyote - is the barrel length 18" with that one? If so, you might want to think twice, there will be some muzzle blast with that baby. Just something to consider.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bludog
Coyote - is the barrel length 18" with that one? If so, you might want to think twice, there will be some muzzle blast with that baby. Just something to consider.

Ruger Compacts have a 16.5" barrel. eek

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I did all the calculations while examining those two cartridges a while back. I wanted the perfect ultra-lightweight mountain rifle to pack when I hunt in BC's mountain country. For everything from the smallest coastal deer - to the biggest northern moose, and everything BC has in between those two.

After months of comparing ballistic coeffecients, sectional densities, loading densities, barrel twists, bullet weights, etc. I came to a conclusion.

The 260 Remington was the best cartridge for such a rifle.

I put in my order.

Months later - they still couldn't get the rifle in that I wanted. But, it was mentioned that they had a 7mm-08 in the same rifle (1st generation Remington Ti) ready to ship.

I went back to my calculations, and found a few errors in my original cartridge comparison.

The 7mm-08 was, in fact, the ideal cartridge for my mountain rifle.

I placed my new order. smile

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.