Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just got through chatting via MSN Messenger with an Army buddy who is currently deployed to the Republic of Djibouti. (I hope I spelled that right) It is a tiny country located at the Horn of Africa. His unit is stuck there on a Navy base conducting security training for the Djibouti forces. I asked what the one thing the guys there would really like to make there life easier and the immediate answer is was archery gear. It seems his unit has a bunch of archery hunters and they are all going a little crazy and missing their archery shooting.

So I am trying to find some gear i can pick up and ship over to them. Since it is likely going to get used very hard and probably passed on to the unit who replaces them I am hoping to avoid spending a lot of money on the gear. Preferably I am looking for some older gear that is still in usable condition that is available cheap. Cheap being the operative word here. I would like to pick up a couple bows, a few dozen arrows, as well as sights, rests and releases.

If you happen to have anything availanle please contact me. You can reach me via PM here or email at wberger70gmail.com

Thanks,
Bill

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you post over on AT as well? I'll see what I have.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate you checking.

I am going to have to answer no to your question about posting on AT. Since I have no idea what AT is.

William Berger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AT is ArcheryTalk.com, big site for archers.

I was just looking thru my stuff and I have about a dozen Carbon Express CXL 250's at 29", send me a PM if you want them.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could also contact ATA (Archery Trade Association) and see if they could help arrange something with their members... Jay McAninch, CEO, archerytrade.org

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can also check Stickbows Leatherwall and Tradgang for traditional gear, and Primitive Archer for selfbows.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Fletcher Jim Dandy release for shooting off of a string loop only I'll give them if you want it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bill-

Very noble effort on your part; thank you!

However, have you checked on the logistics of getting the stuff to them? On my last deployment, somebody had a link to one of the big bow makers who offers a great deal to military members, and a bunch of guys got excited (they were going to spend that tax-free loot! laugh ). The catch though was that it must be shipped to an APO address to qualify. Country restrictions (Customs) prohibited the shipment of any "weapon", to include archery gear, in to the country.

Not sure abot Djibouti, but might be worth looking in to.

If it is feasible to get the stuff to them, I've got some stuff that you could possibly include.

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a like new Trophy ridge dropzone rest if you find out that you will be able to ship the stuff over to our men. Let me know and I will donate it.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hey m1 check on the shipping and let us know I would like to help

Thanks kevin

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Also...the Army folks need to check with their local Chain of Command, CENTCOM/NAVCOM has some hard rules in place about shipping and use of weapons, as well the host country policies. Not trying to be a buzz-kill, just know what happens when well-intentioned plans go bad. It will be the Army Joe that gets stuck with the problem, not us. We had the same program in Afghanistan, and had great support from Stateside for equipment and targets, but we had to do a fair amount of work with pre-coordination to get permission for the program. I've seen a couple of guys ship their pride and joy bow to theater, then get stuck leaving it there, because of customs inspections and rules. I've got stuff to donate if you can get the shipping approved.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Everyone,
Thanks a million for the suggestions and offers. I did some checking and shipping a bow there is not an issue. Cabelas will ship bows there - which I verified via a call to Cabelas. My buddy says that a bow from Cabelas is kind of what started the archery urge there. One of the Navy guys ordered one from Cabelas a few weeks ago and shoots it on a daily basis.

It seems the best way to handle shipping would be for me to send payment for the gear and shipping and have the seller ship direct to my buddy. it does not make a lot of sense to pay for shipping twice.

If you happen to have something you are willing to part with plesae contact me and we can work out the details.

Thanks,
Bill

William Berger

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
AH64GUY,
You bring up a good point. My buddy Steve has already cleared the gear with his chain of command. (several of them are archery hunters and very excited about this) If you noticed in the first post I asked secifically for gear that was usable but not pricey because I was worried about the same issues of not getting it back stateside. I have seen it happen both ways on my past deployments and think it would be best just to plan on leaving it with the unit who replaces them.

William Berger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well you have my release gratis but am wondering what shipping to Djibouti would run? eek

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shipping to a APO/FPO is pretty reasonable. It is considered a US address so you can use Flat Rate boxes or regular mail. here is the FPO for figuring shipping.

FPO AE
09363-0077

My experience is that shipping to a FPO or APO runs about the same as shipping to New York. I believe that is the destination they use for calculating postage to APO/FPO addresses.

William Berger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent news Bill!

I'll be awaiting your PM with the full address.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by M1Tanker
Shipping to a APO/FPO is pretty reasonable. It is considered a US address so you can use Flat Rate boxes or regular mail. here is the FPO for figuring shipping.

FPO AE
09363-0077

My experience is that shipping to a FPO or APO runs about the same as shipping to New York. I believe that is the destination they use for calculating postage to APO/FPO addresses.

You are correct, the central mail and package hub is through JFK to the theater(s). Mail/packages are transferred in the JFK region from Federal postal custody to contracted carriers for the troop mail. The Post Office has a larger flat rate box for APO/FPO only that they have made special for shipping, but they are (usually) hard to find at your local post office. Send us or PM the address you want the equipment sent to.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
M1, I'll go through my stuff tonight. I'm sure I've got some carbon arrows and even some old aluminums if they could or would use them. I might have to wash the old deer blood off them though. Are they able to hunt over there? I might have some broadheads too.

Maybe I could meet you at the range sometime and give them to you. I just got my new custom 300 wsm and 6.5x47 lapua so I hope to get some range time in soon.

Bb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Burleyboy,
That would be awesome. Any time you want to meet up at the range just let me know and i will be there.

Unfortunately no hunting for them - unless you count the huge rats they see there. My buddy killed one that had to weigh 5 pounds.

William Berger

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a complete setup, bow and arrows that is in great condition that I will ship to them. Get me the info on where to send it and I will ship it myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 13,780 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,110
Posts18,542,080
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.